PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• mummyroysof3
    Options
    i am debating changing the way i do things slightly, atm i have a tesco delivery most weeks of upto £100 and me and hubby use our card for evrything [possible other than things i have to use cash, like for things for the kids at school and paying the window cleaner etc

im thinking about having 3 tesco shops a month instead and still trying to only have £100 each time and transfering anything left from the 100 into a different account for me to use at farm foods where i get bread and milk as its cheaper, im finding it hard to keep track of spending when there are lots of little spends when i track online banking

im also going to ask hubby if he would be willing to take out 1 amount of cash per week rather than getting small amounts 3or4 times to reduce the amount of transactions on the statement

my other option is to do the shopping myself now i have a pushchair with a bigger basket and do a big online shop 1/2 times

i just cant decide what would be best
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sharronej wrote: »
    Thanks, I suspected as much but just wanted some reassurance :D

I'll take a drive up to the Mr T's which luckily has a section for Halal meat and if they don't have it i'll try the online - going to buy four I think!

Someone posted a link a while ago from the Daily Mail that claimed most supermarket chicken is already halal so you may already be eating it anyway - have a look here If you don't mind and it is cheaper then go for it.

I spent some time last night reading the no supermarkets for a month thread and I think I am going to go down that route going forwards.

December went over by a bit in the end, mostly due to a big Mr S home delivery when I got carried away. The supermarkets are very much not our friends Spiggle

Thank you very much as always to Mrs M, Rosieben and Pinkwinged, but also to all those who post and give so much support.

Mrs M please will you put Hex2 down for £450 in January.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just back from my grocery shop, small spends today as I have freezer stocks to run down, so I needed things to complete meals IFYSWIM?
    Only spent £19.52 and I had £19.23 left on my savings card so that was a result! Bargain of the day was A$da ES large sponge puddings, half price (£1) dated till May 2011. Got a golden syrup and a Belgian choc, well it would have been rude not to!;)

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, would love to join (back) in this year. Not so much that I NEED to cut down but I have lost track of grocery spending and need to keep better track of finances in general.
    Aiming for £500 to begin with, which may sound like a lot but that's for 2 adults, 2 young boys and an 11 month old (no nappies now I'm on washables!). DH has packed lunches daily in which he insists on having a LOT of meat and cheese as well as several treats. DS1 has packed lunches daily and DS2 will be taking PL to preschool 2 or 3 times a week. We only eat free range chicken and eggs and try to buy the best meat we can afford.
    I'm trying to lose weight, possibly joining SW, not sure yet. Would be more money saving if I could do it without!

Will do first shop for 2011 today hopefully as we are running low on most things, had been running down the freezer stocks preparing for xmas food.
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • Candy_Belle
    Candy_Belle Posts: 123 Forumite
    edited 31 December 2010 at 11:23AM
    Options
    Well nipped out yesterday to pick up some "bits n bobs" (currently carless- so we resemble pack horses at the mo!!!):rotfl: went into SainsBugs for the following:-

2 Bags of Ultra Clumping Cat Litter - £7.96 (lasts ages for 2 Hse Cats)
    1 x 9Toliet Roll - £3.73
    3 x 6 Pks Walkers Crisps on offer for £3.50 (DH is big crisp monster!)
    1 Pk Lemon Anit-Bac Wipes (40 in pk) - 93p
    1 x B.E Fishcakes - 78p
    1 Pk Basic Dusters - 75p
    1 x Small Clover - £1.75
    2x Boxes Mushrooms on offer 2 for £1.50
    1 x Green Pepper - 72p
    6 x Fresh Tomatoes - 95p

Grand Total £22.09:eek:

Hoping to pop into town and check out the outdoor market for some fruit as it's so much more taster and juicy!!!

Off to update siggy!
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May £177.04/£235.00 Apr £237.79/£235.00 Mar £226.16 /£235.00
    G/C - Jan £248.52/£235.00 - Feb£214.72/£235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
  • babyboysmommy
    Options
    I bought value toilet rolls, apples, grapes & blueberries today, total spend £7.47.
  • BlimusOreilly
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone :D
    And thankyou to Mrs McM, Rosieben and Pink-winged for the thread.

I would like to set a budget of £200 for January please. That's for two adults and two children.
    DFW Nerd 941 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    August GC £0/£300

• NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    de1amo wrote: »
    İ do wish nickj would change his name to stevej----i must find a new drink that doesnt involve alcohol!!--welcome t january--i do marvel at anyone who can spend just 1625 a year! it seems with my missus that is a monthly spend! its those bits and pieces!--i just open my walet and let it flow! and face up to the cost here!

Haha! At least I know if you say stevej that you're talking to me now :D

I know I 'could' go lower, and some people on here have far more impressive budgets than me. The problem with me is that I do like the occasional meal out/drinks, and these definitely up the budget. I sometimes feel guilty because it's just me, whereas others have kids/partners on similar budgets. But at the end of the day it's all about what I'm comfortable with/can afford, and the fact that I'm watching what I spend is a new revelation for me. I just wish I had found this thread earlier. :o

The same applies to you - you're monitoring what you spend more, which means it's easier to look at items and think 'do I need this?' or 'can I change to a different brand'. I think you're doing pretty well so far - and 2011 is a brand new year after all so stay positive! :)
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • highland_fling_2
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    sorry I have been unable to stay in touch for the last couple of months. Had a lot going on re family and friends and the thread just kept growing and growing and it was becoming more difficult to find the time to keep up to date with reading and posting. Suppose I was a victim of GC thread success.

Anyway another new year and although I may not be able to give too much time to keeping in touch I will still be dipping in and out and will be trying to stick to my budget.

Please Mrs.McC could you put Highland Fling down for £140 for January GC.
    Wishing you all a happy and healthy new year.:)
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hex2 wrote: »
    ... I spent some time last night reading the no supermarkets for a month thread and I think I am going to go down that route going forwards. ... The supermarkets are very much not our friends Spiggle. ...

Hi Hex2,

Thanks for the mention of the 'no supermarlets ...' :T as I went immediately to find it! :beer:

I would love to join that thread but can't until Feb as I have vouchers and points that I refuse to waste (£110 approx). The other thing that could skew me on it is whether or not a Coop is regarded in the same way as the big four giants. So I've posted a question on there to see what they think about it.

That thread could reallly work well with a GC I think, in a similar way to how the strorecupboard challenge has a symmetry to GC. For me it would be particularly good as it would help with my idea of shopping more ethically in 2011. Now if only we could have a market in our town all my wishes would come true! :rotfl:

Have a happy _party_ and safe New Years Eve all :dance: and I'll see you next year! _pale_ (Tee hee I hope I won't be but probably will! :p)

All the very best and thanks for a fantastic nine months,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills