Inheritance and Property advice (Scotland)

Options
2»

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If his estate was quite small, would you consider doing it yourself to keep costs down?
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
  • TcpnT
    TcpnT Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks. I found the section and there is no survivorship clause, he's named as proprietor.

I take it I will now need to get confirmation. House is worth around £90,000, Does anyone have a rough idea of how much a confirmation through a solicitors would cost, I could only find figures for small estates?

Sounds like the house solely belonged to him so you will (I believe) need confirmation to allow the title to be transferred to you.

I suggest you have an initial (free) discussion with a solicitor to confirm exactly what needs to be done. You can then decide whether to instruct them or apply yourself. As a rough estimate I think a solicitor would charge around £1000 to complete the forms and make the confirmation application. This is assuming that you do all the prior work and are able to supply them with all the necessary figures and information.

As has been said before there is no great hurry. Leave it until things settle down and then take the process step by step.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure