Am I making the most of my savings?

Options

Comments

• MDE
    MDE Posts: 163 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks. I've certainly considered it but not done anything about it. I will have another look.
  • pip895
    pip895 Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would also recommend looking at starting a S&S isa - pick a multi asset fund like VLS80 and put in from as little as just £25/month. Over a decent time period it will always beat cash deposits.
  • MDE
    Options
    Thanks. Would it be worth me looking at an S&S Lisa? Nutmeg looks to be a good offering. I understand the penalties info withdrew before I was 60 and would only look to put in money I knew I could be without.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    edited 5 January 2018 at 2:03AM
    Options
    MDE wrote: »
    Thanks. Would it be worth me looking at an S&S Lisa? Nutmeg looks to be a good offering. I understand the penalties info withdrew before I was 60 and would only look to put in money I knew I could be without.

It could be. The 25% government bonus is certainly enticing as long as you definitely aren't going to want access to the money until you are 60 (or on buying your first home). I'm not as struck on Nutmeg, however. Their fees seem a bit expensive. "Average costs" are 0.72% for their Fixed Allocation Portfolio. This compares poorly with other platforms where you could expect to pay around 0.5% (or less) investing in multi asset trackers in a regular ISA. The Fully Managed Portfolio is more expensive at an "average cost" of 1.04%. Actively managed funds are more expensive than passive funds, but this still seems quite high.

Not all platforms offer LISAs, however, so you have less choice than with an ordinary ISA, but of course without the LISA you don't get the free 25% bonus from the government. You might want to have a look at the following, however, who do offer LISAs (none of these are a recommendation, I simply offer them as areas to investigate for a comparison on costs and potential returns):

The Share Centre - Charges no operating, opening, or dealing fees. You pay the OCF (ongoing management fee) for the funds you are invested in. They only offer three funds and the one that is most suitable to you is a personal matter related to your attitude towards risk, but for a long term investment I would have thought the Adventurous Accumulation Fund was most likely. This does cost 1.82% per annum, so actually more than Nutmeg.

AJ Bell Youinvest -Charges opening fees. You pay the OCF (ongoing management fee) for the funds you are invested in plus 0.25% platform fee, plus £1.50 per purchase (or sale) of funds (if I were you it is multi asset trackers that I would be considering as they can give you a widely diversified portfolio at low cost). So, if you were to buy into a fund like Vanguard LifeStrategy (20, 40. 60, 80, or 100) - these are well-diversified and low cost multi asset passive trackers - and invest a regular amount each month from your income, then an annual cost would be 0.47% (platform fee 0.25% + fund OCF 0.22%) plus £18. This should work out cheaper than The Share Centre, but is a bit less clear compared to Nutmeg. An additional benefit, in my view, is that you would also have much more flexibility in investments than either of those two offer.

Hargreaves Lansdown - Charges no opening fees or dealing fees. You pay the OCF (ongoing management fee) for the funds you are invested in plus 0.45% platform fee. So with the above scenario of a Vanguard LifeStrategy fund you would pay 0.67% per annum and no additional charges (platform fee 0.45% + fund OCF 0.22%). This seems to me to be the best option, offering the cheapest charges and the most flexibility of investments. It also seems that they are the only platform who offer the same pricing structure as their normal ISA.

Bear in mind that the range of available platforms and funds is greater with a regular ISA, so you may want to explore that as an additional option. You can only invest a maximum of £4000 per annum in a LISA, but you can also have an ISA in the same year, in which you can invest up to an additional £16,000 (you have a total allowance of £20,000 in ISAs).

I hope this is of some help.
  • MDE
    Options
    I was lucky enough to be given some money for my birthday yesterday. I just went to pay it in to my monthly saver and got rejected. It seems Nationwide have limited the monthly saver from £500 per month to £250 per month. Are there any other monthly accounts which offer higher payment allowances with 5% interest?
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was lucky enough to be given some money for my birthday yesterday. I just went to pay it in to my monthly saver and got rejected. It seems Nationwide have limited the monthly saver from £500 per month to £250 per month. Are there any other monthly accounts which offer higher payment allowances with 5% interest?
    Santander, HSBC, M&S, and First Direct all offer 5% regular savers. All require a current account for access. However, only First Direct can beat £250 a month.
  • ValiantSon
    Options

Nationwide made that change a little while ago. It was a new issue of the account, so you must have reached the maturity date already on the £500 version. If you hadn't reached maturity then you would still be able to deposit £500. So it make sense to withdraw your money from that account and move it into an interest paying current account, e.g. Tesco 3% on £3000 or TSB 3% on £1500.

Only First Direct are allowing deposits over £250 now. They allow you to pay £300 p/m, which is still better than others. You do need to hold a current account with them, but as Nationwide aren't going to be paying above 1% to you on the FlexDirect account (you must have reached 12 months with that too) then you could switch to First Direct and benefit from the £125 switching bonus (go through the link on MSE) and then open a regular saver with them.

Keeping the Nationwide accounts will net you a maximum (assuming £2500 in current account and £250 p/m regular saver) of £105.64 (made up of £25 interest on current account and £80.64 from regular saver). Switching to First Direct will net you (assuming £300 p/m regular saver) £221.77. So you will make 109.9% more by switching to First Direct.

N.B. No direct debits are needed to operate the First Direct account, but you do need to deposit £1000 per month. Of course that deposit doesn't have to stay in the account, so you could transfer £1000 in, have £300 go into your regular saver and the remaining £700 come back out to another current account that you use for your main banking.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,141 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you open a savings account with them such as the imaginatively named Savings Account and pop a pound in it, First Direct will waive the monthly funding requirement. I believe you can do this at the same time as opening the 1st Account
  • MDE
    Options
    Hi

I have had an FD account before so wouldn't get the £125. HSBC look to have a decent offer at the moment? £150 plus additional £50 after 12 months. Any drawbacks?
  • ValiantSon
    Options
    Hi

I have had an FD account before so wouldn't get the £125. HSBC look to have a decent offer at the moment? £150 plus additional £50 after 12 months. Any drawbacks?

Yeah, in that case then you won't get the switching bonus to First Direct and HSBC will probably be a better bet as it would return £280.64 after the first twelve months. I didn't suggest it before as you were looking for accounts allowing the highest pay in. Of course, there is nothing to stop you from switching to HSBC for their offering and opening a new First Direct account to benefit from the regular saver (and as Cold Iron has suggested, you can actually avoid the minimum pay in for First Direct through having £1 in a savings account with them). If you did this then you would make £377.41 (if you have £550 p/m available to put in regular savers). I should have thought of this to begin with!

I can't see any major downsides with HSBC. Some people report that they can be a bit fussy to get approval for an account with, but there is no real harm in trying. If they don't accept you then you haven't really lost anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure