Are "Round the world" flight tickets still a thing?

I'm going to have about 3 months free this summer to go travelling. I've heard of round the world tickets but couldn't find much info online, was wondering how this works and is it cheaper/easier/better than just booking individual flight?

Any advice welcome!!

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 February 2019 at 11:08AM
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In fairness, three months is nothing like long enough to make this worthwhile. Get a cheap flight to the Far East (there was a thread the other day about bargains to Bangkok) and explore the region: flights on Air Asia are absurdly cheap if booked a couple of weeks in advance.
  • wgt24
    wgt24 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Yeah from reading more it seems like that's the best tactic, to target a more specific area like south east asia rather than try and do everything and not spend much time at each place. Thanks!
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    RTW tickets are still a thing but they aren't always the best value. With the growth of budget airlines it can be cheaper (and more flexible) to book flights separately.

What the RTW travel sites (e.g. https://www.statravel.co.uk/round-the-world-travel.htm and https://www.trailfinders.com/around-the-world) are good for is suggesting possible routes - though I would agree that 3 months really isn't enough. To go around the globe properly you would need at least 6-9 months a preferably a year.

If I was fortunate enough to have 3 months free then I would just book a return to Bangkok and then follow my nose around SE Asia for 12 weeks.

The first thing to think of is a realistic budget. For example, 3 months at £50 a day doesn't sound like much to pay for everything but over 90 days it comes to £4500 in total. I've met plenty of young people on my travels who had dreams of going around the world for a couple of grand but had blown all of their money in the first 2 weeks so had to either go back home or plead for some extra funds from the Bank of Mum and Dad.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I did a RTW trip over a 3 month period, but this was way back in 1990 when there were fewer cheap flight options than there are now, and the RTW cost was better value than it seems to be now.

I started from NZ, where I was living at the time, and did San Francisco, Vancouver, Toronto and New York before flying to the UK. After spending a month with family and friends I then flew to Delhi and did some travelling around NW India, then to Kathmandu for a couple of weeks in Nepal, on to Bangkok with some time in the south of Thailand, then back to NZ with a couple of days in Sydney on the way.
  • wgt24
    wgt24 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Thanks for the info, I think a similar trip as you did would be ideal by sounds of it - Think i'll use STA and similar sites for route advice then will probs book individual flights where they are cheapest!
  • Have a look at sky scanner for flights too. Might be worth booking an ordinary return to say Bangkok (as it’s a pretty big hub) or Singapore then local flights
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport