PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Are we in a sellers market?

Options

Comments

• Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Every seller is different.
    Personally I would have said "give me half an hour to tidy up and then send them round" to my agent.
    Some sellers are sensible, some are idiots. This guy might have been a complete moron, or have a legitimate reason for refusal.
    It's nothing to do with the market.
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    OP smacks of the typical entitlement a lot of people have nowadays. "How dare the seller not want to show me round when it's convenient for me?". As has been said, plenty of genuine reasons not to be able to accommodate a viewing.
  • the_quick
    the_quick Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I'm selling - house on the market, board up front - I would keep my house tidy, and ready at moments notice. I would keep house tidy and presentable all the time it is on the market. It is pain in the neck, but if I want to sell...
    But I've seen so many people being reluctant and clearly not wanting to sell. I would assume that everyone why wants to sell, would want to do it as quickly as possible, if the price is right.
    I would not have problems arranging viewing at short notice, especially when someone is from far away.
  • KittenChops
    KittenChops Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 May 2018 at 12:24PM
    Options
    bigisi wrote: »
    OP smacks of the typical entitlement a lot of people have nowadays. "How dare the seller not want to show me round when it's convenient for me?". As has been said, plenty of genuine reasons not to be able to accommodate a viewing.

Interesting. I didn't read it like that at all. I read it as "I'm really surprised by this, can any of you shed any light on it please?"

I appreciate this will raise conflicting opinions, but I'd love an answer.
    <..snip..>
    So my question is..... !!!!!! happened there?! Why don't sellers want to let people in? I know I'm inexperienced at this, but I thought serious cash buyers were as rare as hen's teeth, decisive ones more so.
  • Mgman1965
    Mgman1965 Posts: 249 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 May 2018 at 1:24PM
    Options
    When we were selling our house we also kept it ready for viewings at a few minutes notice.

We also gave the agent a key to do viewings if we were not there but just to let us know first.

We had timewasters, but after the first few you get to spot them and to just hustle them round and out in double quick time.

The ones you cant legislate for are those who seem keen and genuine and then make an insultingly low "full and final" offer.

Our biggest insult was a viewer who said it was just what him and his wife wanted and would definitely be making an offer.

He did, a "one and only offer" that was £25,000 off a £115,000 asking price (it was a few years ago) !!!!! It was declined and never heard from him again.
  • AylesburyDuck
    AylesburyDuck Posts: 939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why didn't you knock on the door and say you'd seen the sign, would it be convenient (and bypass the agent although the vendor would still be liable for the fees in most cases).
    Ooh I couldn't have Mutton Geoff - that sees a bit too cheeky. If I had the nerve I perhaps would have....

I'd have written a polite note and pushed it through the door explaining the situation and leaving your name and number should the seller change their minds. Then you know its done and that the agent hasnt passed the message over wrong, which frankly is a possibility.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, some interesting answers there :)

The tourist/time waster angle never even occurred to me, nor did popping a note in the door actually...

I don't have a sense of entitlement, Kittenchops read it right. I've never had to do this before so it was more a puzzlement question than a 'why aren't people instantly bending to meet my demands' issue.

It's perhaps a personal/motivation thing. When we put our house on the market, we gave the agent front and back door keys and told them as long as I had about 10 mins notice to spritz some air freshener round they could view whenever they liked. I kept my house absolutely spotless - I did a full house clean twice a day in case someone viewed while I was out (sis works so it was down to me). We had loads of viewings and got a full asking price offer in 3 weeks. This guy's been on the market for many months so I'd have thought the possibility of a keen cash buyer viewer would have been most welcome...

But as there could be plenty of reasons, I guess we'll never know.
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I rented a house, and was moving out, the landlord decided to sell it. I agreed viewings could take place while I was still resident, in agreed timeslots and subject to prior notice.

I had a person knock on the door one evening ask to view. I told them to talk to the Landlord's estate agent and sent them away.

Could be a similar situation here.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I actually never considered knocking on the door or putting a note through. All the house details I've looked at online these last few months (which feels like squillions!) have all said "viewings strictly through the agent only" or similar, which is why I rang them.

I could never have just knocked on the door :o
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think you may have worded your inquiry wrong. If I was selling and had a call someone was down the road and wondered if they could pop round to view now, that would freak me out!

If you have gone back to the house/hotel you were staying at then rang and asked if you could arrange a viewing for tomorrow morning or if the vendor was busy then you could be there later that day/night , that might have gone down better.

I realise you did explain you could come the next morning afterwards but I think the sellers panic had set in and it was a bit late by then.

Having said that if they were really keen to sell they would accommodate anyone and everyone as you never know, so perhaps this wasn't the house for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure