PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

hand soap

Options
Some time ago I asked if anyone had any ideas about the best hand soap to use to avoid having a melted mess left behind ! I just can't find the thread again and I'm determined to not put any more dispensers into landfill from now on. Any advice would be most welcome!

Comments

• juliettet
    Options
    I use Dr Bronners, lots of different types. They are famous for their liquid soap for which you can recycle the container. The bar soap in tee tree is good for gardening hands.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    One way to avoid putting dispensers into landfill is to use bars of soap.

It is the old-style sub-forum after all.

You can get a bar of soap for as little as 20p and it lasts for ages. Money-saving or not?
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    One way to avoid putting dispensers into landfill is to use bars of soap.

It is the old-style sub-forum after all.

You can get a bar of soap for as little as 20p and it lasts for ages. Money-saving or not?
    Not particularly hygienic IMO. But I do agree with you about plastic packaging.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • BB15
    BB15 Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes exactly what I was trying to avoid from now on.
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    I have an Autistic son that needs encouraging to wash his hands. So soap dispenser it is, and looks nice for visiting guests.

However, I too would like to save on plastic packaging. So my question is where do you buy large enough quantity to decant into smaller said dispenser?
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Towser wrote: »
    I have an Autistic son that needs encouraging to wash his hands. So soap dispenser it is, and looks nice for visiting guests.

However, I too would like to save on plastic packaging. So my question is where do you buy large enough quantity to decant into smaller said dispenser?

I've bought 5litres of Dr Bronner from Amazon. This is just one example https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Bronners-Pure-Castile-Liquid-Soap/dp/B002LMBIF6/ref=sr_1_5_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1548179242&sr=1-5&keywords=Dr+Bronner Other 'flavours' are available as is unscented to add your own essential oil to.

It has got more expensive, however it needs to be diluted so you can probably double or triple the 5litres very easily.
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    I've bought 5litres of Dr Bronner from Amazon. This is just one example https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Bronners-Pure-Castile-Liquid-Soap/dp/B002LMBIF6/ref=sr_1_5_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1548179242&sr =1-5&keywords=Dr+Bronner Other 'flavours' are available as is unscented to add your own essential oil to.

It has got more expensive, however it needs to be diluted so you can probably double or triple the 5litres very easily.

Wow, I am far too stingey for that price though.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Towser wrote: »
    Wow, I am far too stingey for that price though.

It was only an example - it can be found cheaper on other sites.
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Not particularly hygienic IMO. But I do agree with you about plastic packaging.

In what way do you think it's not hygienic? You can get magnetic things that keep the bar from making a slimy mess on the side of the basin
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ODN-Household-Container-Attachment-Accessories/dp/B06XRCZ4LS/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_bs_lp_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WMXSZ71N5VDBFQ8ZGDBT

and if you're worried about germs on the surface of the bar, I believe soap kills them off, particularly if you use a soap with some kind of anti bac ingredient in.
  • batg
    batg Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    bars of Imperial Leather soap have a sticker on them which juts out a little and you rest the soap that way down. I use that in a soap dish, it makes minimal mess.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure