Anyone know of a Decent Frozen Cod Fillet?

Options
As you know, of about 10 different brands of Frozen Cod fillets on offer at the supermarket, ALL are pretty rank. I'm wondering whether there are any decent brands out there
Anyone know of a Decent Frozen Cod Fillet?
If I ruled the world.......

Comments

• MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You often find in supermarkets with a fresh fish counter cod reduced when close to sell by date so although it's going to be hit and miss with availability you could buy that and freeze it yourself?
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you have an Iceland warehouse near you try their second catch range odd shapes but top quality cod.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    MysteryMe wrote: »
    You often find in supermarkets with a fresh fish counter cod reduced when close to sell by date so although it's going to be hit and miss with availability you could buy that and freeze it yourself?
    Fish is the one thing I'd never buy when it's close to it's sell-by date.
  • prenton01
    prenton01 Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I buy tons of fish from reduced isles in Tesco and then freeze it much better than the cheap crap from Iceland and farm foods
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Pollycat
    Options
    prenton01 wrote: »
    I buy tons of fish from reduced isles in Tesco and then freeze it much better than the cheap crap from Iceland and farm foods
    I wouldn't buy the 'cheap crap from Iceland and farm foods either'. :rotfl:

To me, fish has to be as fresh as possible.
    So sat on ice in a supermarket for however many days then bagged up (so you can't see it) and chucked with all the other YS stuff simply does not appeal.
  • MysteryMe
    Options
    I think it depends where you buy it, in the supermarkets I go in the reduced fish is not placed in a bag where you can't see the contents. It tends to be on a blue tray with clear wrap
  • prenton01
    prenton01 Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think it depends where you buy it, in the supermarkets I go in the reduced fish is not placed in a bag where you can't see the contents. It tends to be on a blue tray with clear wrap

Same here it's normally in a clear bag so you can see what you are buying
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Pollycat
    Options
    prenton01 wrote: »
    In my local Tesco Extra, reduced fish is bagged in opaque bags so you can't see the contents.
    Not sure if that's standard across all Tesco stores.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    In my local Tesco Extra, reduced fish is bagged in opaque bags so you can't see the contents.
    Not sure if that's standard across all Tesco stores.

That's a shame. We don't have a local Tesco so I didn't know that.

Like others I buy most of my fish YS from Sainsbury's or local Co-op. That's in the usual trays with cling film. Morrisons put the fish from the counter on trays and wrap in cling film.

The fish in Iceland and Farmfoods is more like scraps but if it's the taste rather than the look you want then it's fine. I refuse to pay £14+ per kg so of I can't get YS I'll revert making fishcakes from that or tinned fish.:D
  • MysteryMe
    Options
    Scraps are also ideal for fish pie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts