We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

How to organise seeds

Options
Hi all,

I am sorting out my seed packets, trying to organise them into some sort of order.

Previously I have bundled similar types together, so all of the nightshades banded up, lettuce / spinach banded, herbs banded, and so on. It works well for keeping track of the different packets I have. The trouble I have found is that I often miss the planting times for some varieties.

So, how do you organise your seeds?

Thought appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    By variety. But around this time of year re-organise, put out the stuff I want to sow in the next few months in order of sowing in a separate box/tray/tub

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In order of sowing months. January/February at the front. March next, then June straight in the ground.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Stuff them in a couple of boxes and grab as needed. Not very organised I know but sowing is mostly done in March with just a top up amount April.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Almost Any Way Other than piles of envelopes shoved in three boxes in different rooms on different floors.
    Which is my excuse for not getting things started, germinated let alone planted on anything like the appropriate dates. (Mind you, my hedge & trees are OK.)

I like this 'sort by month you are supposed to plant in'. That is logical. My weather and gardening are not, at all, so maybe a little logic might help.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 January 2019 at 10:53PM
    Options
    I try to plant all the ones that don't keep as I harvest them, so all the cold germinators have been in since late summer or autumn.

This just leaves those that don't need wintering, so apart from a few that need an early kick-off, like peppers, I just ignore them till March, or maybe April. They're stored in old ice cream tubs in a dry, dark, coolish place and separated into perennials/annuals/ veg.

Then sowing's a bit random, as it should be. Little at a time, and often twice, around a month apart with the trickier ones....
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use really useful storage boxes to keep my seeds in. I have one from veg and another for flowers there about size of shoe boxes. I use to use shoe boxes before hand. Had these boxes for many years before using as seeds take a lot of knocks. In fact I have quite a few larger boxes and getting some more later this year for storage in garage when it gets converted to a hobby/computer room
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Packets in old envelopes, by type, tomatoes in one envelope, beans etc another

Then stuffed into old biscuit tin and pawed over when weather improves:o
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • MrsSnail
    Options
    I store mine in three different tins in much the same way as you do (grouping different types together, so that when I'm shopping for seed I can see at a glance what I need). Then, once I've finished my autumn tidy-up and curl up in front of the fire for the winter, I'll sort them for planting - one tin for peas and beans as they're big and chunky and take up so much space, one for things that get sown once or twice like sweet peas and Brussels sprouts, and one for things I sow successionally over a couple of months like carrots and salads. That way I can easily keep rotating the successionally-sown seeds to sow another few rows every couple of weeks.

Oh, I'm getting itchy fingers now... I just wanna plant something!
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    By month/weather sounds the best idea - along with 'In a mouseproof container'.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • SunMoonStars
    Options
    Thansk for all of the replies, interesting that everyone is quite different. Iwill have a think on this...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure