Mrs S.....life after debt

Options

Comments

• MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 May 2018 at 11:11AM
    Options
    Today has flown away somewhere, not quite sure where. I used a voucher I was given a few months back for a back, neck and shoulder massage today. That was lovely, though not relaxing as the lady just worked as hard as she could on the 'knots'. It hurt!! I know it's what they're not supposed to do, and it's good for us that they've done it, but ouch!!

We then used the free family voucher we had for the circus. It was nice, but I'm pleased I didn't pay full price for the tickets. It wasn't worth that. The boys enjoyed, though. I am amazed at how much cr*p they had for sale there. You could buy a programme, pop corn, candy floss, burger and chips, light up spinning toy, raffle tickets, tickets to see the animals at the end and animal rides. I am so pleased to state that not a single penny was spent!!!

The grocery shop went a little over budget. It was going so well. Too well In fact until I put nice tonics into the trolley on the way to the till. I ended up spending £51.55 between Aldi's and Tesco. The extra £1.55 has come from the top up budget.

This weekend's tasks

1. Check ynab and accounts,Done
    2. Pay Tesco cc in full (I use this card for all my spends and pay it in full every month), Done
    3. Update card details for hp ink account, done
    4. Finish meal plan and shopping list, Done
    5. Grocery shop for under £50, Almost. £1.55 over which comes from the top up fund.
    6. Enjoy massage using voucher, Done
    7. Change SIM card in mobile, Done, I can now access 4G.
    8. Check surveys, Done, with a £5 survey :j Have requested a payoout but don't know what the fees will be quite yet.
    9. Water flowers, Not done today, but we are supposed to have a storm overnight
    10. Find birthday gift for ds1's friend (budget £5), done £3.33 spent
    11. Keep kitchen clean and tidy, Done
    12. Dust and Hoover (especially downstairs),
    13. Laundry,
    14. Ironing,
    15. Give bathroom and downstairs loo a clean,
    16. Bank account skim to savings (kind of using a penny a day method), Done. £20.30 skimmed
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • MrsSave
    Options
    I typed up a post whilst lunch was cooking, but obviously didn't click send as it's not here!!!

I spent a massive chunk of the morning working through the budget and looking at our gifts spends. It's already a lot more than people on here advise, but I'm no longer paying off debts and this figure includes things such as gifts, days out to celebrate birthday, Christmas trips out, panto, decorations and Christmas food as well as a 'nice' Easter dinner and Easter eggs/hunt for the boys. I'm upping it a little so that I know all those will be covered.

I'm still seriously contemplating stopping attending Slimming World. My heads not it in at the moment (after losing a stone) and I know what I need to do so why do I need to pay almost £5 a week to stand on the scales?? I just hope that by not going I won't put back every ounce I've lost. I'm still not 100% decided yet, and do need to look at it a little more. It work out at around £18 a month which would sit nicely in the holiday fund or even a little more clothes money for me. :think:
  • MrsSave
    Options
    eBay items have all finished. After fees and postage I'll have made around £50. 1 person has yet to pay, but it's the lowest cost item so I'm not too worried. That means I'll be able to meet my mortgage overpayment target, and put some money away in a few different savings pots. I'll sort out sending them tomorrow and work out the final figures :j

I'm so shattered tonight. For the past 2 weeks my diet has completely changed. I'm eating so much processed junk and drinking more. I feel absolutely rubbish with it. I'm sure that the reason. I'm more short tempered, I'm not concentrating as well, I'm not sleeping well (though falling asleep mid afternoon!) and my body just feels rubbish. I've done my weekly shop for this week, but may call into a shop tomorrow to top up on a few 'nice' healthy extra bits to encourage better nutrition. I'm amazed at the difference it has made in such a short space of time. Back to eating more fish, salad, veg, fruit and possibly nuts and rye or spelt bread.
  • MrsSave
    Options
    £51 made after postage and fees from eBay. It means I've manage to pass my £20 mortgage overpayment target and have topped up a few little savings pots.

Well, another bank holiday weekend is over. Another weekend where I've spent too much, eaten too much and had a glass of wine or 2 too many. Don't get me wrong, I don't get drunk, but I do enjoy a glass of wine and generally have more than I should when it comes to a bank holiday (especially in the lovely weather we've had).

We had a lovely day out today (which did include lunch out but otherwise didn't cost) and on the way home I called into Tesco to top up with healthy foods. Lots of nice salads, fish and fruit. I'm hoping that will encourage me back to eating well this week, and next week I can get back to my usual food shop and eat well. It does mean that I've spent far more than I should on food this week though!

I'm back in work tomorrow, a day earlier than usual but there's no one else in the office so I didn't have all that much choice :rotfl: It does mean I have another day off later in the week though.

Right, I'm absolutely shattered after the weekend so aiming on a few decent hours tonight!!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Yay, a nsd today. :j The money from the surveys reached my account so I need to make my mortgage overpayment. I've eaten really well today, and have now spent the evening sitting in front of the tv pigging out. I don't know what's wrong with me!!!

It's payday on Thursday :j I'm hoping June won't be as spendy as May!! There's no holiday so that should help :rotfl: I'm aiming to get the credit card bill in at under £1000 this month. Or shall I be super optimistic and aim for under £800??!!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Pay day tomorrow :j :j :j There's a little extra in there for an overnight allowance for a conference I attended away a couple of months ago. I've used some of it to top up ds1's swimming pot as I need to pay out over £50 there tomorrow, some has gone to add a little to the Christmas food pot and the rest is going towards June's mortgage overpayment.

I have paid May's mortgage overpayment already (£24.02 so more than my target :j ) so I am now starting on June's. I'll be transferring £8.96 in ynab tomorrow so only need another £11.04 to meet my June target.

I have overpaid my Next bill, but before I can ask for the money back (£35) I need to wait for my returns to be processed. They take ages when collected by a courier.....I think we're day 8 today waiting!! Once that's back, I'll move the £11.04 to the mortgage overpayment and the rest will be split as follows:

New shed - 30%
    Small house bits - 20%
    Holidays - 20%
    Extra mortgage overpayment - 10%
    Car fund - 10%
    Ipad - 5%
    Long term emergency fund - 5%

It does mean that these pots won't get much, but it's nice seeing them all increase, even if it's only by a little.

I did a £2.75 survey earlier :j They don't turn up often so was super lucky on that one. Just waiting for it to be approved!!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Payday. :j I've transferred the money to all the different accounts (well 3 - bills, spending, and personal spends) so we're ready for June!!

I've had an email overnight to say next have received my returns, so I'll give them a ring this morning to ask for the £35 back.

I've got the day off today and am taking my boys to meet up with a friend and her children. Not sure where yet. Even if it will cost, it shouldn't be too bad (I'm thinking £10 max). I need to pay ds1's swimming today, that'll be over £50 gone as soon as it has hit the account!!!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    We have been out and had a picnic in the park. I spent a few pounds at Tesco first (needed strawberries and bought crisps and cakes for the picnic) but less than the £10 I mentioned. I've just realised whilst updating ynab that it's the last day of the month and I haven't started spending next month's money. I don't think I've 'borrowed' from next month for a few months, whereas it used to be the norm. :j Ds2 is now fast asleep in his cot and ds1 is watching a DVD and munching on an ice lolly. 5 minutes peace for Mrs S!! :rotfl:

I contacted Next this morning and they're sending the money I overpaid back. As I'd budgeted for it, I sent a chunk to the mortgage overpayment and the rest to different savings pots. That means I've already passed my June mortgage overpayment target before the month even begins!! :j
  • MrsSave
    Options
    I have another £12 coming in from a tax rebate :j That means my mortgage overpayment for June is now at £23.59 and I have topped up all the other mini savings pots in the usual way using the normal percentages.

A lot of bills have gone out this morning so YNAB is all updated and correct.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi Mrs S,

Thought I'd pop in and say hello :wave:

You're doing really well, especially with the mortgage overpayment. That one is on my list to do once we get settled with the debts x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback