Missing Payment

Options
Hello. Hoping someone can put some light on a issue. Basically, someone I look after was due to be paid state pension today, it wasn't in the Post Office account (Card account) and upon speaking to the Pension Service they confirm payment was sent and has been made. They've advised waiting 48 hours, as until that time has lapsed they can't do anything. At which point, they've advised they'll investigate. However, they've said the payment was sent and shows no issues on them system. Problem is, it's left this person without any money and they are saying wait 48 hours which they'll investigate, but what about a payment. Called Post Office, far as they are concerned no issues with accounts today. Any ideas / thoughts. Thanks in advance

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If the payment is due today the Pension Service can't do anything until tomorrow at the earliest because the payment isn't officially late until midnight. The 48 hours is presumably to allow for any glitch in the system either at their end, or the PO, to be identified and rectified.
  • sassy_one
    sassy_one Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Still no payment, have checked again this afternoon.

When I spoke with the pension service, they advised it was sent as normal, on the 8th of August.

I'm just a little concerned as the person I'm caring for has no funds and is unable to buy food, pay bills etc.
    They literally are living on this.

I've covered a few expenses myself today, but obviously this isn't right and not everyone is in a position like that.

If I have to call tomorrow, can I request it's dealt with tomorrow rather than 48 hours? Wednesday seems too far away to them to investigate this, given they need money now.
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 August 2018 at 7:23PM
    Options
    If the payment was issued in 8th then its not due to hit the account until tomorrow. Are you sure their payday is a Monday? For a Monday payday the payment would be sent 7 August as it takes 5 five working days, for it to be released on 8th August "as normal" means customer is a tuesday payday, so that would mean if on wednesday payment had not been paid, they could take further action. It maybe that customer at some point had excess cash in the Post Office which they have been using on a Monday instead of waiting till Tuesday and has reached the point the excess has been used. - check the account tomorrow.
  • sassy_one
    Options
    Yes, normally they always receive it on a Monday.

I'm starting to wonder if their payment day has changed but I'm sure they'd of informed the customer of this if it had.

Will await to see what happens tomorrow but just want to be prepared as if any issues they literally will not be able to manage another day.
  • anmarj
    Options
    payday is not changed once a claim has been processed, check his last two digits of his NI number against the table below.

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension/what-youll-get

How it!!!8217;s paid

The day your pension is paid depends on your National Insurance number.
    Last 2 digits of your National Insurance number Day your State Pension gets paid 00 to 19 Monday 20 to 39 Tuesday 40 to 59 Wednesday 60 to 79 Thursday 80 to 99 Friday
  • sassy_one
    Options
    I have checked that website, and it appears payment falls on Tuesday.

But they've been collecting it on Monday, for the past 5 years.
    I'm wondering if it's just been by chance like bank accounts sometimes show payments before the due date.

Will wait until tomorrow and see what happens; hopefully all will be okay as they have said it was paid and no issues are showing on the system.

Thank you
  • anmarj
    Options
    I have never known the Post Office to pay before its due, banks sometimes yes, post office highly unlikely. More than likely is that your friend has had a build up of money in the Post Office without realising, especially if they had back pay paid in. That is why the Pension Service said they would have to wait until the Wednesday, before taking any action. it maybe he had other benefits that were Monday previously, but when they went to State pension it was changed to Tuesday, it would certainly be on his inital award letter, plus the uprating letter would show his entitlement starting from a Wednesay to be paid the following Tuesday.
  • sassy_one
    Options
    It's a odd one; when I spoke to the Post office team earlier they did say the last payment that was credited was on the 6th of August which was drawn agaisnt the same day.

So I'm unsure what exactly could have happened, maybe they were paying it (The pension service) a day or so early and have recently recalculated it and it's fallen back into correct payment dates.

If they said they hadnt sent it we'd have a answer, but the fact they have issued it and it's not there, it's strange.
    I thought maybe a issue with card accounts but doesn't appear to be any news regards this anywhere and they have advised they don't think the account payments system has a problem.

So payment has been made, but isn't in the account.

We will check tomorrow, then look into it further.
  • anmarj
    Options
    The pension service would be telling the bank/post office that payment is due on 14th, if credited earlier than that day, it is down to the individual institution. Similarly banks credited people!!!8217;s money on a saturday when due on the monday, but most have changed that it is only accessible on the monday.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is the person receiving all the help they are entitled to, it seems unlikely if they are living week to week.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport