IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPC- too late?

Options
hello!

i'll start with what happened.

car was parked at a retail site ( right in front of the sign that says get a ticket!) which offers 3 hours free parking if you get the ticket. the person driving did not get a ticket it straight away and went into the cinema to get a costa and their tickets. just after they got their drink they realized they didnt get a ticket so went out to get one but noticed someone taking pics of the car. they went over and explained what happened and was just about to go get the free ticket, the man said to late its being processed and stickered the window.

i get a call from the person in bits saying they have a parking ticket, i laugh and say its ok only £25 usually if pay in a few days. they say no its £60... i swear... when i look at it at home its not a council ticket but a UKPC ticket. a quick google brings me here :) lots of people say just ignore it all but i read some/most of the newbie section which said they were at that time banned from the DVLA and do not do anything. so we didnt. seems they have been allowed to use the DVLA again even though some of the stories about them seem like they should be in jail!

we have now received the letter stating we owe £100 and to pay it.

is it to late to appeal this? as the Newbies section say to do this on the last few days of the window notice.

the person driving is crazy worried and i think the company should be shut down by now. do we keep ignoring and see if it goes to court?

thanks in advance :money:

Comments

• BigT369
    BigT369 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    quick side note i have an account i use on here but its my name so had to make another :)
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,248 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 July 2018 at 11:29AM
    Options
    The advice to ignore has not been given here since the law changed in 2012.

I suggest the keeper sends the appeal template from the NEWBIES thread anyway, even though they will no doubt reject it saying it's too late.

After that the keeper goes into ignore mode unless they get real court papers.

What happened when the driver or keeper complained to the landowner/cinema manager?

The keeper must complain to their MP about this unregulated cam.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    we have now received the letter stating we owe £100 and to pay it.
    So that's the NTK you should not have waited for, but I appreciate you may have read the NEWBIES thread when it said UKPC were banned (only in April/May).
    is it to late to appeal this? as the Newbies section say to do this on the last few days of the window notice.
    No, NTK stage is fine but a shame you waited for something you did NOT want.
    the person driving is crazy worried
    LOL, we are laughing at PPCs every day here! This scam is nothing to worry about.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • BigT369
    Options
    obviously the appeal came back declined and they have given us the option to go through POPLA.. i dont like to think of myself as simple but man this is going right over my head, i cant seem to grasp this step, do i just write to them or do i follow some rough script of guidelines? driver is now stressing massively and wants to pay the now reduced fee of £60 but i have convinced them to just let this play out and follow the guides on here.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You cannot have studied the FAQ thread for newbies.

#3 there comprehensively advises on popla appeals and how to construct them
  • BigT369
    Options
    ive read it about 5 times, admittedly when ive been at work and nothing is sticking in my head. going to give it another read later
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,653 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 August 2018 at 2:42PM
    Options
    Post #3 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread contains comprehensive guidance on how to compile a PoPLA appeal.

Start by reading that.

The keeper must not miss the deadline for submitting the appeal.

Oops... don't mean to repeat the advice given by Quentin, but there really is no easy way out of this.
    Read, and re-read, until you understand it.
  • BigT369
    Options
    i have a slight problem with the signage argument, about where it was and proof that the car could see it, the person driving parking dead square in front of the sign and they have a picture of the car with the sign in front of it. do i edit that part out of the argument about car not seeing the signs? sorry guys just trying to sort it and a quick read isnt the way to go, im going through each bit right now :)
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It is for them to prove their case. It isn't your job to assist them. The signage was not prominent. Assert that and then they have to demonstrate it was.

The lettering is too small. Make them prove it isn't.

Many companies see a robust appeal and chuck the towel in.
  • BigT369
    Options
    my partner misplaced the letter with what i would imagine has the POPLA code on! they like to make things a real challenge i think. can i call and get it from the company that sent it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure