St Ives, Cornwall - day trips from

Options
We are going to St Ives mid September for a week and wondered if anyone knows of any nice trips, by bus as we have no car and I have a buss pass which I'm hoping I can use.

I've been looking online and have found Penzance, less than one hour away, but I'd appreciate it if anyone has more ideas of places to go to for a short trip. Thanks

Comments

• WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Once you get to Penzance bus station there's lots of choice for shorter trips like Mousehole and Newlyn on the M6.

I think you can get to Newquay from St Ives - the A4 First bus - if you wanted a longer trip. Via Perranporth and Hayle.

The A1 will take you to Land's End via Porthcurno
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,199 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
  • gazapc
    gazapc Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not much of a destination is Penzance. A day trip from there to Scilly is possible.

I would recommend Falmouth for a day trip. Either by bus or via train.
    Porthleven is nice, the bus also continues down the Lizard where you can walk to Kynance Cove.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you been to St Ives before? If not, I'd suggest that you just enjoy the town and its beaches. If you're only there for a week, I don't think you'd need to go anywhere else to have a lovely holiday.
  • ian103
    ian103 Posts: 883 Forumite
    Options
    If you gan get a bus to pendeen / st just. Lovely scenery along the coast road.But Id agree with rach_k spend your time in st ives (not my place of choice) but theres lots to see and do for a week.
  • WeAreGhosts
    Options
    gazapc wrote: »
    Not much of a destination is Penzance.

Penzance is lovely, compared to where some people live. There's the boat trips, bit of shopping, walk on the prom, watch the world go by in the harbour ...
  • nat_marie26
    Options
    Not sure if you've come across this but there are some pretty good ideas on places to visit in Cornwall at a site called Let's Go with the Children.

Hopefully of some help! :)
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Penzance is lovely, compared to where some people live. There's the boat trips, bit of shopping, walk on the prom, watch the world go by in the harbour ...
    Penzance also makes a good centre if you are using public transport as buses radiate from there. The routes they take are often much more picturesque than driving the direct route in a car as they divert from the direct route down country lanes to serve various villages. The Lands End bus (A1) and the St Ives via Castlegate or Zennor (16/16A) routes are both very picturesque.

The coast at Lands End is lovely once you walk more than a few hundred yards from the hell of the awful 'attraction' that's built there.
  • WeAreGhosts
    Options
    Course, there's not just buses - there's trains too. From St Ives, the scenery is lovely (you can do a short trip to St Erth, or just to Lelant and walk back).
  • judy2357
    judy2357 Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    St Ives is lovely but would really recommend you go to Hayle Towans while you are there, 3 miles of beautiful beach and sand dunes. On a nice sunny day is one of the best beaches I have ever been to, turquoise water and golden sand. There is a little pub called the Bluff Inn on top of the cliffs with the most beautiful view. Have a lovely time.

As someone else mentioned the little train trip along the coast via Carbis Bay is lovely too.
    2008£3002009£13002010£15002011£41952012£21942013£1494
    2014£24402015£10222016JAN£20FEB£210MAR£80APR£26tMAYWillowPouchBag£65BathPillowCrCardcover,Curry
    JUN£10m'shakeJULpennywellAUGCameraFootproducts£27SEPMiniBBQOCTB'let£45Jarm£4Jacket£80GoodyBag£40NOVmealfor2Ace,ScarfTotes£100DECChocs,AsterixDVD,DVD&bk

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure