Cifas

Options
Hello, I would like to know how to post as I need advice.

Back in February 2017 myself and other members of the community were introduced to a guy called Patrick Kalonji. I invested all my savings and some from my family and friends in the UK and abroad. In July, a friend told me about a business opportunities to open a restaurant in Leeds where Patrick Kalonji was also a partner but did not have time to run the business. I saw this as an opportunity and other friends were also interested and we started the restaurant. Around mid to end July 2017, Patrick was no where to be found. I wrote several letters to him, WhatsApp messages, phone calls but to no avail, only to found out that he also did the same to other people in different towns within the UK. At this point we decided to removed him from the restaurant business and started chasing him for our money. We had an address in Sheffield where we went but we could not locate him as the house appeared to be empty. I contacted the police and they advise me to contact Action Fraud. I contacted Action Fraud 'NFRC171002049252'.
But this led to nowhere. This would now be around October 2017. Patrick at this point was not responding to any of my calls or that of my other partner Mr Omolongo who also lost more than £50.000 in invested. However Patrick send messages in the WhatsApp group he created that he will reimburse every single person of his investment. I waited and looked for options but got desperate and gave up. T In the beginning of March 2018, the restaurant business was not working so we sold the restaurant and closed the business but as I was traveling, the next day, I did not get a chance to close the restaurant business account. In the beginning of April, I saw a large sum the restaurant business account and contacted my business partner as this is a joint account. He informed me that Patrick Kalonji promised to refund all the money so we must still chase him until we recover all. So I transferred the money to his other business account and restarted to look for new lead to how we can locate Patrick. I never gave anyone my bank account but my business partner did because he knew the details already as he was a joint account holder.
When he ask me to transfer money he told me that he has no access to his online but I didn't know that since 2017 Llyods bank removed him from the joint account and did not tell me. I feel that Llyod also put me at risk by failing to tell me that I was now the only sole user.
We sold the business in April 2018 and the following day I travelled abroad and did not have time to close the account. This is my laziness and I admit it.
In June 2018, I was unable to use my bank other businness account which was not related to the restaurant account and contacted the bank who told me my account was under review. I made severals calls to the bank, went to the branch but they could not tell me specifically what the problems was and told me to wait. On the 9th of August I tried using my card abroad but it was not working. So I called the bank who told me that my account are being closed for fraud and I have been put on CIFAS list for 6 years. I never heard of CIFAS before so I researched on it. I am writing to you for advice as I am a victim as well as all others investors. I would like to clear my name as I never committed any crime or fraudulant activities but paying the price. I never gave anyone the business account but my business partner who is in the joint account did. The Only reason I transferred money to his other sole business account was because he could not access his online banking.
My business partner is ready to testify that he is the one who gave the business account details away to Patrick as he promised to pay back. The bank advise me to report to police but I don't know if this will help because he is not denying anything...
Any help as this eating me alive.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I couldn't follow the detail, but if you think you have been defrauded, you need to report it to the police.

However, I'm not sure why you transferred money from a business account over to your partners sole account, or where that money came from.
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 11 August 2018 at 3:41PM
    Options
    The police do not usually accept reports of fraud, it has to be reported to Action Fraud first, where it is assessed and if appropriate, passed to a CID or branch within the police.

As Action Fraud have already been made aware of this case and there has been no assumed outcome, I cannot advise you further, other than to exercise any appeal rights with the bank, unless the decision is final and cannot be overturned, which is normally the case.

Your post is quite hard to understand, as it hasn't been paragraphed or structured, but from what I can tell, you unknowingly committed money laundering and the bank, as per their legal obligation, have closed the offending account and registered the holder with CIFAS to make other organisations aware.

In future, perform proper checks on someone before investing into them. This includes taking photocopies of their ID and validating it, taking their full fixed abode and validating it and finally ensuring your investment or whatever the money is for is tangible and guaranteed to have an output, as it seems like there was no solid ground to your exchange with this Patrick bloke.

For an additional layer of verification, match the person's details with the electoral register, it costs money to do this, as the open register is profitable, but is worth the reduction of risk involved.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure