PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    you can make jams with dehydrated fruit. fig jam is yumm. you can buy a cheap coffee grinder just for fruit and veg powders. You can also make a pectin liquid from fruits with high pectin in them.
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    betterlife wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have a quick question if anyone can help me please. I!!!8217;m thinking about getting a dehydrater for fruit etc, and was wondering if you can make jam with dehydrated fruit? Thank you

If you google jam from dehydrated fruit quite a selection of sites will come up and there are some on Youtube. So the answer is yes!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ooh. Fig jam. I know of a huge old fig tree that fruits massively, but its right in a busy city centre, and the fruits must be pretty poisonous from the petrol fumes. Plus, erm, its in a churchyard .... but still, fig jam. Yum.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Living_proof
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Ooh. Fig jam. I know of a huge old fig tree that fruits massively, but its right in a busy city centre, and the fruits must be pretty poisonous from the petrol fumes. Plus, erm, its in a churchyard .... but still, fig jam. Yum.

A few years ago I read of a PhD thesis based on checking the results of wild fruit by the roadside and the amount of chemicals and nasties retained when they were processed as opposed to the same crops grown in a field. There was no discernible difference, much to general disbelief. I will try and find it again and link it in, but I think as long as you wash the fruit or whatever well, maybe the cooking or freezing process negates the pollution.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [/SIZE]
  • dND
    dND Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you betterlife, grandma247 and Livingproof - I love learning something new. I still don't think I'd invest the time and energy into dehydrating fruit and then making it into jam but I really love the idea of the dried elderberries ground and used to set jam :j
    Betterlife, from my experience of having a dehydrator, things take longer than the book says, so it is always a longer process than you expect. Add to that, you generally end up drying in summer. In my case, this year that has meant running it through some of the hot weather and my kitchen went up from a just about bearable 27C to a rather uncomfortable 29+C :eek: just from the heat from the dehydrator.

All that said, it's something that is on my list to come back to the UK with me - it does have its place and making fruit jerky is one of the things I love.

The jerky generally doesn't get stored as it doesn't hang around long enough. ;) If you want to make that, you'll need a dehydrator that either has solid trays, or can be made solid without disrupting the airflow, and preferably level/flat trays. My trays slope very slightly which means the fruit puree levels out thicker on one edge to the other. This results in one edge of the dried puree having to be dried to a crisp in order to just about dry the other end.:rotfl:

It's great for drying your own herbs too. :)
    2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
    2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Don't know which thread on OS it was, but someone recommended the Simpler Life thread, which I'm working my way through - very fabulous, and I've got loads of notes to follow up!!

We have lots of things [STRIKE]dumped[/STRIKE] stored at DH's work from when we had building work done, that the kids and I will finish sorting this week. Going to be really ruthless - after all, if we've not missed it in nearly 2 years, do we need it?! :rotfl: Littlies will be allowed to rescue a few toys each, on the understanding that an equal number of things currently at home will have to go - they're good at understanding about donating to those with less stuff than us. Unfortunately, some of the stuff down there is from my mum's home, when we emptied it last summer. My sister in America was supposed to look through as she'd asked for certain things, but when she visited the other month she didn't do it - do I try and shoehorn the stuff into my attic, ask brother to add to stuff he's kept, and which is in storage, or just harden my heart and get rid? :(

Have asked on freecycle and a local page re clean wood for my stove, and, surprisingly, have had offers - including an entire tree stump that's probably bigger and heavier than me! :rotfl: Will follow up the most promising and chop up where necessary, at the very least there will be kindling = lovely peeps!

We'll going brambling this aft and tomorrow, to avoid the rain due later in the week, and make some jam, freeze a load, and make a couple of crumbles with my apples.

I worked for a friend last weekend, at a local food festival, and she brought round my wages last night - first money I've earned in more than 5 years, and it felt so nice - even better, it was in coin of the realm, so ready to add to my house stash! She also had us take home as much as we liked of her produce at the end (cooked food), otherwise it had to be chucked, although she would have had very little waste. So we've been having her lovely Malaysian curries for the last couple of days - gorgeous!

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • Living_proof
    Options
    This is the link which is dated 2013 so unless anyone knows differently....

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/news/university/student-project-shows-it-is-safe-to-eat-roadside-blackberries-15772
    [/SIZE]
  • Living_proof
    Options
    dND wrote: »
    from my experience of having a dehydrator, things take longer than the book says, so it is always a longer process than you expect. Add to that, you generally end up drying in summer. In my case, this year that has meant running it through some of the hot weather and my kitchen went up from a just about bearable 27C to a rather uncomfortable 29+C :eek: just from the heat from the dehydrator.

I soon realised that the heat and condensation caused by drying produce is pretty unbearable, so when I finally bought my lovely shed I had electricity and stable doors put in so that I can dry even if I am out. This year I am trying to spiralise courgetti and then freeze for winter use in 'spag bog'. One real bonus is that I can do masses at once and only have to clean the spiraliser once too. I have solar panels which means as long as the sun is shining (or the day has some brightness in it) my electricity is free so by growing my own and then drying it's a win/win situation. Today I am going to pick up some apples sourced from Freecycle and I will be drying them before the rain at the weekend. I still haven't found decent sized blackberries but am still on the look-out....
    [/SIZE]
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is the link which is dated 2013 so unless anyone knows differently....

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/news/university/student-project-shows-it-is-safe-to-eat-roadside-blackberries-15772

Thank you so much for this! I've been wandering about within my computer trying to find the pic, or even a pic on google earth, but I can't. I suppose given the choice I'd rather use fruit *away* from the road, in the same way that if I had the money for everyday expenses I'd buy organic everything, but its good to know that its such a great potential resource.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Living_proof
    Options
    As there seem to be so many preservers about at the moment on here, could anyone advise me on the best way to do runner beans please? I will have masses (and will be able to pick them once I get help to get the cane structure upright again after the winds!) and I can freeze them or dry them, either in 1" diagonals or cut vertically with the new toy (car boot). Who has had success, and how?
    [/SIZE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family