PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 August 2018 at 5:44PM
    Options
    I find runner beans freeze quite well but you do need to open freeze on trays, otherwise you will find that they all glom together.

I grow climbing French beans, which I find freeze a bit better than runners. After all, French beans are sold as 'frozen green beans' and the climbing kind yield better than the little bush ones. They are a bit harder to get going than runners, but once they are away, yield just as well :)

Yesterday I was picking blackberries and a young chap with two children asked me what they were, were they some form of fruit. I was a bit surprised but explained and told him you can buy them at the supermarket, but I am not paying for something that is available for free.

Hope the young man and his children went back later with a container!
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    THIRZAH wrote: »
    My grandmother used to salt runner beans. The only good thing I can say about them was that they were a change from the sprouts or leeks that she served up every other day in the winter!

I remember my auntie's being very stringy and salty :(
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    This is the link which is dated 2013 so unless anyone knows differently....

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/news/university/student-project-shows-it-is-safe-to-eat-roadside-blackberries-15772

I've been eating roadside blackberries for years, and it's not done me any harm.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    A little west of Yelverton, Jojo. And no, sadly I lost that somewhere between an unhappy 4 years at boarding school (scholarship girl) and 3 years in Scotland, where some words/pronunciation are the same or similar (rolled Rs, short As, "aye/arr") but mostly very different!

The feral blackberries here have shrivelled & died on the vine, in the places I've looked so far. The thornless one at the end of the garden is doing OK, as it's been watered, but usually they turn to a soggy mouldy mess as soon as it rains; luckily they're not ripe yet so we may still get some after the weekend. There are masses of grapes on the vine, and the cherry plums are ripening & are nice & sweet this year. Our enormous kiwi vine has excelled itself and produced more than ten fruits, some of which are slightly bigger than marbles! Wonders will never cease...

:eek: Himself is from ever so slightly north west of Yelverton. Ever so slightly :).

Was going to pick and freeze more blackberries in the morning before we leave of part 1 of the jollies, but we've finally got some weather. Hope that I won't lose too many by Sunday.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 August 2018 at 6:17AM
    Options
    My temporary ban has finished and I have enjoyed the time away, it has broken my mse addiction and I have a new small tight group of online friends. My being has changed from stressed to very happy, content and fulfilled

The personal update: the old house turned out to be horrendous when it came to the survey, it needed major work top to bottom, many things had been hidden, so I withdrew my offer. The very next day I started searching online for a new house, much better for me at my stage in life. A couple of days ago after a couple of false starts, found my perfect new home. Small family builders and the best build I have ever seen. Tiny garden but 100% private and bright and sunny. I have reserved it and will be moving late September

Those old house worries evaporated once I withdrew and realisation set in, I will be giving up my allotment but I will be doing more cycling and exploring the many new opportunities offered in this new arty crafty place. There are not hoards of houses where I will be, just a few and they are separated. 5 minutes walk from the shops, buses, doctors and plenty of lanes for cycling. The house is smaller than here, better for me tbh so I have masses more that needs to go, I start clearing again today

I will feel cocooned and cosy, it has that clearview solution 400, underfloor heating and a very high spec of finish and appliances. The best insulation possible, even better than here. A garage with a cavity wall so it will be dry and safe for storage and food, if vermin-proofed

Today I will do the scale drawings again, try to visualise where I will put stuff, so I can see what has to go. I go from 4 rooms downstairs to 2, I lose 200 sq feet. The house was cheaper, 40k cheaper than the old house and I won`t have to spend any extra. Still 4 bedrooms and one will make that perfect sewing room again but with added spinning and knitting crafts

One last thought about genes and genetics. I have 50% Polish, eastern European genes and 50% dutch and was born in the uk. My family genetic line comes straight down from 1350 and all the way it is farming, horticultural and baking. That is where I got my skills. These are my indie genes, you can combine those 2 words and create another spelling to a misused word. I live amongst people in my rural county, who have a similar line of uk genetics, running through generations, farming and baking mainly. We all knew how to live in peace and harmony with the land and its wildlife. I will say no more now, my stay with mse is over
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A little west of Yelverton, Jojo. And no, sadly I lost that somewhere between an unhappy 4 years at boarding school (scholarship girl) and 3 years in Scotland, where some words/pronunciation are the same or similar (rolled Rs, short As, "aye/arr") but mostly very different!

The feral blackberries here have shrivelled & died on the vine, in the places I've looked so far. The thornless one at the end of the garden is doing OK, as it's been watered, but usually they turn to a soggy mouldy mess as soon as it rains; luckily they're not ripe yet so we may still get some after the weekend. There are masses of grapes on the vine, and the cherry plums are ripening & are nice & sweet this year. Our enormous kiwi vine has excelled itself and produced more than ten fruits, some of which are slightly bigger than marbles! Wonders will never cease...

Hi,can I ask how long you have had your kiwi before it started to fruit,we have had ours for 4 years and we are still waiting for fruit.thanks
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As there seem to be so many preservers about at the moment on here, could anyone advise me on the best way to do runner beans please? I will have masses (and will be able to pick them once I get help to get the cane structure upright again after the winds!) and I can freeze them or dry them, either in 1" diagonals or cut vertically with the new toy (car boot). Who has had success, and how?

You can freeze them. If you have loads then it might be a good idea to blanch them before freezing. You can also pickle them. I add them ,cut up small, to picalilli.
  • Pollybear
    Pollybear Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I lurk on here, I'm not sure I've ever posted, but just want to say thank you to Kittie for all her helpful posts and I'm sorry you are leaving.
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I want to thank kittie too especially for the widow's thread which was such a support. Hope she has a lovely time in the new house and that everything goes through quickly for her.
  • TiredTrophy
    TiredTrophy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you dry the seed of runner beans for use, please boil them for ten minutes after soaking like red kidney beans, before simmering til soft...same toxin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure