IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

CEL taking my wife to court

Options

Comments

• simonsmart111
    Options
    Hello again,

Having studied a number of appeals, I have rewritten mine. I have taken a number of different sections/quotes from various appeals, which I believe to be relevant to mine. Hopefully this is more legal-centric, rather than the previous draft which was more of a witness statement.

Just to add to my original post, which was more of an enquiry as to whether I can take this claim upon myself, rather than process if for/with my wife, I will add some main details below:

Back in 2018 the vehicle was recorded as being on private land (an empty pub car park) for 19 minutes. The reason was due to an emergency dashboard light coming on, advising the driver to stop driving immediately.
    Weeks later, letters started coming, these were ignored (it worked for me in the past!)
    No contact has been made with 'CEL', 'Debt Collection agencies', 'Gladstones' or any other agency/company.

As posted previously, the court claim (from County Court Business Centre, NN1 2LH) has been acknowledged.
    Against the advice of KeithP, I've left it to the last minute (stupid, I know, especially with bank holidays etc)

Anyway, I'll copy my defence below:
    DEFENCE
    1. The Defendant denies that the Claimant is entitled to relief in the sum claimed, or at all.

2. The Defendant was the registered keeper of vehicle registration number XXX on the material date. The particulars of the claim state the legal basis is brought against the Defendant for ‘breach of the terms and conditions of the car park’ by the driver. However, it is denied that the Defendant, or any driver of the vehicle, entered into any contractual agreement with the Claimant, whether express, implied, or by conduct. when parking at XXXX on XX/XX/2018.

2.1 Any breach is denied, and it is further denied that there was any agreement to pay the Claimant's £100 'Parking Charge Notice ('PCN')'.

3. The Particulars of Claim state that the Defendant; was the registered keeper and/or the driver of the vehicle; XXX. These assertions indicate that the Claimant has failed to identify a Cause of Action and is simply offering a menu of choices. As such, the Claim fails to comply with Civil Procedure Rule 16.4, or with Civil Practice Direction 16, paras. 7.3 to 7.5.

4. The site where the alleged breach of contract occurred does not display sufficient signage from the road leading onto the property. Neither was there sufficient signage displayed throughout the car park boundaries. Therefore, no legally binding contract can be enforced. This differs from the previously stated Beavis v Parking Eye case, where signage was clearly displayed.

5. In addition to the original PCN penalty, for which liability is denied, the Claimants have artificially inflated the value of the Claim by adding purported added 'costs' of £60. Not only are such costs not permitted (CPR 27.14) but the Defendant believes that the Claimant has not incurred legal costs.

6. The vehicle in question was recorded as being at the premises for a total of 19 minutes. The total sum being claimed is not reflective of any genuine loss to the land owner. Furthermore, the car park requires no payment for use, so the claimed amount cannot truly reflect any loss sustained.

7. In summary, it is the Defendant's position that the claim discloses no cause of action, is without merit, and has no real prospect of success. Accordingly, the Court is invited to strike out the claim of its own initiative, using its case management powers pursuant to CPR 3.4.

Statement of Truth:

I believe the facts contained in this Defence are true.

Signature:

Date:

Thanks to all the people who run this forum - I would've given up by now if this resource wasn't available!
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    point of order , you must mean other DEFENCES (not appeals)

the time for any appeal has long since gone, at the moment you are defending a court claim by preparing your defence
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 April 2019 at 6:07PM
    Options
    Keep this in mind...
    ...you have until 4pm on Tuesday 23rd April 2019 to file your Defence.
    Let's hope there is someone around prepared to review a Defence on a Bank Holiday weekend.

I would delete para 6.
  • simonsmart111
    Options
    Defence, that's what I meant!

Still getting my head around all the lingo!
  • simonsmart111
    Options
    Thank you KeithP, will look over and probably remove para 6.

Yes, very foolish of me to have left it so late...

Worst case, I'll submit it to MCOL and hope its enough. Tempting fate a little I suspect :S
  • KeithP
    Options
    Worst case, I'll submit it to MCOL...
    No, do not submit your Defence via MCOL. There are very good reasons why - described in Bargepole's 'what happens when' thread linked from post #2 of the NEWBIES thread.

File your Defence using the method described in post #10 above.
  • Redx
    Options
    as above, you should be following the instructions by KeithP to the letter, not going off piste by submitting the defence on MCOL , that should be avoided at all costs

a signed and dated PDF attachment , sent by email , is sufficient, and preferred , so please do as you are told , no jumping blindfold over the cliff at this stage (nobody submits their defence on MCOL any more)
  • simonsmart111
    Options
    Many thanks, will definitely re-read all instructions on submitting the defence prior to taking any action.

If they don't register my defence in time (by 4PM on Tuesday), will they auto-close the claim in CEL's favour? I'd imagine not, as they'll have a copy in their inbox, but better to know in advance!
  • Redx
    edited 21 April 2019 at 7:31PM
    Options
    email it beforehand , with the signed and dated pdf attachment

mark it URGENT

then SHE phones them and ask them to prioritise it and to enter it into their system asap

and get rid of 6) before you finalise it , then get your wife to sign it , date it and send it by email, it is also SHE who must ring them up, you are not a party to this claim

NO , you cannot , repeat , CANNOT , take it up on behalf of your wife , it is in HER name and SHE must deal with it , you are helping HER as a liaison officer would , so by all means write it , help , but only she can sign and date it and email it

if she was up for a speeding charge , or for drunk driving , you cannot just say , leave it to me , I will deal with it , I will appear in court , I will take the points and the "fine" , or I will take the driving ban or the prison sentence, this isnt pass the parcel !

think of Chris and Vicky Huhne !!!
  • KeithP
    Options
    If they don't register my defence in time (by 4PM on Tuesday), will they auto-close the claim in CEL's favour? I'd imagine not, as they'll have a copy in their inbox, but better to know in advance!
    No, that doesn't happen.

You have a fixed target. If you do not meet that target the Claimant is free to seek a Default Judgment.

A Default Judgment does not happen automatically. It has to be sought by the Claimant.

Even if the CCBC fail to record the receipt of your Defence at the right time and a Default Judgment is sought and awarded, that can be undone when you prove, by email receipts, that the CCBC did in fact receive your Defence in time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure