Carbon Footprint Saver

Options
msallen
msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Hi all

I've just had a cold caller at the door from a company called Carbon Footprint Saver Ltd . It had all the classic hallmarks of a scam, but I thought I'd just check if anyone here has had any dealings with them.

He started off by saying that the local council sent him, then when challenged the story changed to the local council was offering 100% grants in partnership with his company to anyone with storage heaters (and no gas supply), and anyone without gas was entitled to totally free new storage heaters and loft insulation.

He was unable to provide any documentation from either the local council or his company, but when pushed he did produce a photocopied sheet which mentioned partial grants towards certain work for those on low income or in receipt of certain benefits (which doesn't apply to me), but he said that this sheet was out of date now as the scheme had changed.

According to Companies House his company has only been in existence since late last year. I have emailed the council to check with them but I don't expect a replay for days (if not weeks) from them.

The company address on the photocopy he gave me is 2A Courtland Avenue, Coventry, which google maps shows to be a company called Energysave Nationwide Ltd, and that company went into liquidation last November with one of its directors (Dean Walter Woodhouse) having a strikingly similar name to Dean Woodhouse, a director of Carbon Footprint Saver Ltd.

Comments

• ryanjadams1980
    Options
    I also had a caller round at 14:00. I was not impressed with his appearance or his knowledge.
    He asked if I was on benefits, which I am not. He filled the paper out and left it with me. I read the paperwork and it states only on benefits are entitled to have it for free. Also that the DWP will confirm and check to make sure you are on benefits.
    I emailed the company stating I am not interested and that there was a conflict with what the man stated and the paperwork.
    I still had a second man turn up to whom I ignored, he called 3 times and when I looked outside he was urinating against the outside wall. Nice!
    I’m glad I kept them out.
  • Wattiewood
    Options
    Hi I too believed this was a scam however checking the epc register it confirmed that my certificate was out of date,having 2 different people and a phone call I decided to instruct them to do the work(roof insulation)after reassurances that it was free.
    I phoned the company at 12.30 by 1.30 a surveyor had been to do the epc,2.30 3 workmen turned up and the insulation was finished by 4.30 the same day,the next day I had a company representative see whether the job had been done or not,all individuals turned up in company uniform with identity tags.I also checked the epc register to see that the new one had been added(you will need one whether you sell or rent your home and last for 10 years)that was over 3weeks ago and I have not received a bill at all.
  • onlyfoolsandparking
    Options
    Wattiewood wrote: »
    Hi I too believed this was a scam however checking the epc register it confirmed that my certificate was out of date,having 2 different people and a phone call I decided to instruct them to do the work(roof insulation)after reassurances that it was free.
    I phoned the company at 12.30 by 1.30 a surveyor had been to do the epc,2.30 3 workmen turned up and the insulation was finished by 4.30 the same day,the next day I had a company representative see whether the job had been done or not,all individuals turned up in company uniform with identity tags.I also checked the epc register to see that the new one had been added(you will need one whether you sell or rent your home and last for 10 years)that was over 3weeks ago and I have not received a bill at all.

That's a glowing reference and coming from a brand new poster too, what should I think;)
  • Wattiewood
    Options
    I refer to my previous message and can confirm that as at 22nd April I still have not received a bill
  • Emilyrose23
    Options
    Thos company knocked on our door a few months ago and we were told that the landlord had got in touch with them to install loft insulation and new storage heaters as the landlord had said a few weeks before that we would get in thought with someone who offers free Grant's. So we assumed that this was who he contacted as they told us they were, they came round the next day to do an assessment and 1 hour later they came again to fit the loft insulation. They were really dodgy but I was home alone with my step son so I didn't confront them as they were really rough, while they were in the loft they were smoking something which smelt like cannabis this was cleared up when they came down looking as high as a kite. They did their job and fitted the insulation so at least that was a positive. That same evening we get home from a meal out, my step son walked upstairs to go to bed and shouts down "daddy theres someone in your room" long story short he was 100% sure that there was a man in our bedroom but when my partner got up there he was gone but the window was open so we assume he jumped out the window.we don't even open the windows so they must have set up the house to get in and out quickly as they went round looking at every window and door and took pictures of the whole house. The police were involved but thought nothing of it as it was only the 6 year old that saw them, he is not one to make something up like this so we know he did see someone. Anyway a few weeks later we started seeing water marks on the ceiling upstairs, it turns out while they were up there they knocked the overflow pipe off the water tank and caused a big leak in the loft which lead to replastering.

Yes they may actually do their job but its not worth the risk letting them in!
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    When you are asking yourself if it is a scam, then you know the answer.
  • Ciara_erin
    Options
    Hi all that i would share my experience with carbon footprint saver ltd
    I had a knock at the door around 5 o’clock I answered to see a gentleman at my door I answered and he obviously gave me the pitch about my loft now I didn’t really care about the loft but wanted to continue to see if this was scam or not as no one will be getting money or bank details from me.
    So I agreed I had another gentleman come out after we agreed for the next day at 5 as I finished work . He had his ID so everything was good so far . Then he explained about having to take pictures of my property I did get my back up and straight away called a friend who explained to carry out an epc they would have to take pictures , so I asked the gentleman if he could take the pictures without getting any personal pictures or items in it he gladly said that’s not a problem so he continued and asked me to assist as he wouldn’t want to intrude in to a room without my self so straight away I was at ease . So after the epc we got a fit date that was the next day . Two youngish lads turned up with an ID again so there was no issue they toke 45 mins and they cleaned there mess 😂😂 I was shocked
    In the end they was all lovely after you get over that it isn’t a scam and isn’t going to cost me nothing anyway .
    As they was fitting I was reading this forum because I’d never heard of this company before so wanted to see if any reviews . Reading everyone’s thoughts scared me but I thought I had to sign up just to let people no that this was free and didn’t cost me a penny.
    Thanks 🙂
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ciara_erin wrote: »
    Hi all that i would share my experience with carbon footprint saver ltd
    I had a knock at the door around 5 o’clock I answered to see a gentleman at my door I answered and he obviously gave me the pitch about my loft now I didn’t really care about the loft but wanted to continue to see if this was scam or not as no one will be getting money or bank details from me.
    So I agreed I had another gentleman come out after we agreed for the next day at 5 as I finished work . He had his ID so everything was good so far . Then he explained about having to take pictures of my property I did get my back up and straight away called a friend who explained to carry out an epc they would have to take pictures , so I asked the gentleman if he could take the pictures without getting any personal pictures or items in it he gladly said that’s not a problem so he continued and asked me to assist as he wouldn’t want to intrude in to a room without my self so straight away I was at ease . So after the epc we got a fit date that was the next day . Two youngish lads turned up with an ID again so there was no issue they toke 45 mins and they cleaned there mess 😂😂 I was shocked
    In the end they was all lovely after you get over that it isn’t a scam and isn’t going to cost me nothing anyway .
    As they was fitting I was reading this forum because I’d never heard of this company before so wanted to see if any reviews . Reading everyone’s thoughts scared me but I thought I had to sign up just to let people no that this was free and didn’t cost me a penny.
    Thanks 🙂

So what did they fit?

And why if you didn't really care about your loft did you let them do work?
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If they were only there for "45 minutes" then it must have been loft insulation - for a VERY small loft:rotfl:
  • Ciara_erin
    Options
    Lol my house is an end terrace so yeah small enough . A lot of people arguing about people putting comments that we have had it done . Every one to there own
    I let them do my loft because not only does it raise my scores but future reference when I want to sell there is no more scheme or work that my property can under take now
    And funny enough a gentleman rang me today asking to inspect the work.
    Every one has got there own thoughts just When I read all forums on Carbon Footprint Saver Ltd I thought I should share mine :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure