Motability dealer charging me for Dashcam

Options
I've just ordered a motability car, they only had one in the showroom.

They are charging me £215 because it has a dashcam in it and I'm fuming.

Now I have to pay £595 plus £215 for the dashcam and its budgeting breaking and its going to leave me skint.

If I didn't take the car I would have had to have waited months for another one.

Anyway of getting this fee removed? I don't think it's right or fair at all.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it has extras you don't want then your choices are to wait for another car, choose a different car or see if another dealer can do things more quickly.

I'm not sure why you're fuming - additional charges for extras is the norm.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Surreguy1982
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.

I'm fuming because it wasn't mentioned until the last minute and it's also something that can be removed within minutes.

I'd understand it if it was something that couldn't be removed but this seems a bit unreasonable.

It wasn't mentioned on the phone before viewing or at anytime until it was ordered although I will cancel it if its not removed as I haven't entered the pin or paid for it yet.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Or negotiate with the dealer.

How many other dealers have you contacted?

If you don't think it's fair - then don't buy the car. If you walk away from the deal, the dealer may have a change of mind.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Surreguy1982
    Options
    That's my first move, I know I said I'll cancel but I will try and negotiate but I want it removed, if it was £50 or something then no problem.

Will keep you updated after talking to them in the morning, I don't think they'll budge but we will see.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    its usual to have to wait months for a new car, if you take one that's already there then to a degree it is a case of you and they compromising. You're gaining the advantage of having a car within a few weeks (the time it takes Motability to sort the paper work) rahter than months (the time it takes to make the car) they're selling a car that's sat in the showroom.

You can walk away and order the car you want, but there will be a wait.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dealers often add an extra to cars in the hope a buyer will take it with the extra added. If you really don't want the dash cam then say they either remove it free of charge or you go to another dealer for a car. They might say you can have it free of charge or if they are playing hard ball just say take it or leave it that's the price to drive it out of the showroom.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • moneysavingmoocow
    Options
    If this is your first motability car I'd say you don't want the dashcam and cancel. If you're an existing mota customer they'll automatically extend the lease on your current car until the new one arrives so the time becomes immaterial really. Bit puzzled as to why the dealer didn't mention it had a dashcam in it?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do Motability allow non spec stuff .
    I would phone motability and check .
    You are notified early to allow factory order before the end of current lease.
    Car not available for a month or so current car lease extended .
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Do Motability allow non spec stuff .
    I would phone motability and check .
    You are notified early to allow factory order before the end of current lease.
    Car not available for a month or so current car lease extended .

The person getting the car can ask for any options on the list to be added but they pay for them on top of any deposit.
    Someone please tell me what money is
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport