EU Law cuts off access to bond market

Options
Regulators cut off access to bonds
Investing in individual bonds has become extremely difficult.

Mr Killik said the bond market for retail investors had “effectively been killed off” by an EU law. The 2003 Prospectus Directive compelled bond issuers to provide significant amounts of information unless “high minimum denominations” of €100,000 (£86,000) or more were involved.

Had we not been in the EU this would not have happened.

OTH no doubt some other regulations would have been invented to have the same result

Comments

• dividendhero
    dividendhero Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like a cut&paste from the Daily Mail/Torygraph/Express to me, or maybe even more BS from Boris

27 countries have managed with this for last 15 years and Britain could have vetoed it had it so desired.....
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sounds like a cut&paste from the Daily Mail/Torygraph/Express to me, or maybe even more BS from Boris
    Got it in one, it was the Sunday Torygraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/funds/harder-ever-diy-investor/

Non-paywall version visible (for now) at: https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-sunday-telegraph-money-business/20180415/281797104580976
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    capital0ne wrote: »

Had we not been in the EU this would not have happened.

OTH no doubt some other regulations would have been invented to have the same result

So to summarise the title you chose is clickbait, hoping to get more traffic on the basis that people will come along to be outraged at what "they" are doing to "us" ; while you suspect the obvious counter to any outrage is that Joe Public would quite probably have been ok with it if he had even been aware of it fifteen years ago, and the rules would just be called something else with a different author and same outcome...
  • dividendhero
    dividendhero Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2018 at 9:42PM
    Options
    capital0ne wrote: »
    Regulators cut off access to bonds
    Investing in individual bonds has become extremely difficult.

A quick look at a site such as HL reveals hundreds of bonds for sale to retail investors - who can then put them in their ISA, SIPP etc

Here's just one example

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/b/bankers-investment-trust-8-debenture-2023

The post illustrates 2 points

(1) How you can pin anything on "bureaucrats from Bwussels" and people will swallow it

(2) What a joke of a "Newspaper" the Daily Torygraph has become. I used to subscribe to it, but wouldn't read it for free these days
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The 2003 Prospectus Directive compelled bond issuers to provide significant amounts of information unless "high minimum denominations"; of €100,000 (£86,000) or more were involved.
    This is an absolute disgrace. As a proud Briton with the blood of Æthelstan flowing through his veins, I demand the right to invest my £80k life savings in ultra high risk bonds with absolutely no information and no clue as to whether I'll get my money back whatsoever.

If I can vote on my country's membership of the EU with no useful information available (£350m a week for the NHS! 4p extra on income tax if you vote Leave!) then by God I should be able to invest my money on the same basis.

The idea that this 15-year-old regulation has prevented "sophisticated DIY" investors from investing in corporate bonds is proven as nonsense by the continued existence of London Capital & Finance, Blackmore, Basset & Gold, Wellesley, etc etc, and the former existence of Secured Energy Bonds, Providence Bonds, Privilege Wealth, etc etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure