Options
2»

Comments

• ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Frank99 wrote: »
    I'm surprised to hear this, my conservatory is being replaced and according to the fitters my old glass was not toughened which set alarm bells ringing.
    They told me it is against safety regulations to install non-toughened glass on a conservatory roof in case a tile came down or something which makes sense really, i suppose there is no way of knowing if it's toughened unless the worst happens and many rouge Companies can take advantage of this.

Its easy to tell if the glass is toughened.
  • Frank99
    Frank99 Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ytfcmad wrote: »
    Its easy to tell if the glass is toughened.

Well please elaborate, how?
    Enjoy everyday like it's your last!
  • ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 July 2018 at 4:49PM
    Options
    Frank99 wrote: »
    Well please elaborate, how?

All toughened glass has a stamp on it, normally in the corner and normally round (similar to what you'd see on the glass in cars)

If its a roof then either with a stepladder or a little pair of binoculars (sat in your conservatory) you should be able to see them.

All toughened glass has to carry this stamp by law.

Up until a number of years ago the DGU manufacturers used to place it as far into the corner of the DGU as possible, a lot of this was dictated by the Conservatory/Window companies because the end user complained about these stamps/marks showing on their nice new roof or windows.

This meant that some glass that was actually toughened looked like it wasn't because the stamp was not visible once it was fitted in the frame.

The rules were changed and the stamps now have to be a certain distance from the edge so they can be easily viewed etc.

A good window company will make sure all the stamps are in the same place (when they make your windows) such as all bottom right etc etc.
  • Frank99
    Frank99 Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ytfcmad wrote: »
    All toughened glass has a stamp on it, normally in the corner and normally round (similar to what you'd see on the glass in cars)

If its a roof then either with a stepladder or a little pair of binoculars (sat in your conservatory) you should be able to see them.

All toughened glass has to carry this stamp by law.

Up until a number of years ago the DGU manufacturers used to place it as far into the corner of the DGU as possible, a lot of this was dictated by the Conservatory/Window companies because the end user complained about these stamps/marks showing on their nice new roof or windows.

This meant that some glass that was actually toughened looked like it wasn't because the stamp was not visible once it was fitted in the frame.

The rules were changed and the stamps now have to be a certain distance from the edge so they can be easily viewed etc.

A good window company will make sure all the stamps are in the same place (when they make your windows) such as all bottom right etc etc.

Many thanks, i will be looking for that mark, i should have realised this as my door glass has small tyneside toughened stamps in the corners.
    Enjoy everyday like it's your last!
  • 3card
    3card Posts: 437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Many thanks for most of the replies

I was aware of the 'stamp' in the corners so I knew it was saying it was toughened.

Yesterday I rang my home insurance company to check on my insurance for glass and I was told I was covered for glass breakage with a small excess. I rang the company that installed my conservatory to check the cost of the replacement unit and the fitting and I was informed that they wasn't going to charge me anything for the work or materials required so no need for a claim

Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport