Advice on split ticketing please? Apologies for long post

Options
Hi. I'm hoping for some guidance on where I can get the information I need to travel to see family in Norfolk.

I live near Glasgow and my health conditions mean that I can get a Disabled Persons Railcard for this journey. Very useful. But I also have a National Entitlement card on the same grounds which gives me 50% off rail travel within Scotland and up to Carlisle. Basically do I split ticket a Journey from Glasgow to Norwich using my Railcard for the whole thing or use the NEC card from Glasgow to Carlisle, then the railcard after that? I can't work out whether the 50% off standard is any better than 30% off saver fares.

I've tried using the split ticketing site recommend on here as well as opening up two windows on Journeyplanner to compare the Scottish leg of the journey but it's a maze I just can't seem to solve.

So can anyone advise whoI can turn to for this information? And am I horrifically old fashioned for wondering whether I could ask a travel agent to sort it out as per the good old days lol?
Looking ahead

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 January 2019 at 7:37PM
    Options
    You could ask at your local railway station, when it's not busy, or try ScotRail telesales 0344 811 0141 or if you requite passenger assistance 0800 912 2 901. I'm not familiar with Scottish Entitlement Card 50% off discount and what it covers, i.e. open return, off-peak return etc.

Cheapest possible fare with DSB railcard is Glasgow-Carlisle ADVANCE BPS LNER & CONNECTNS
    BOOKDTRAINONLY GC IEC ADVANCE £15.30
    Valid on London North Eastern Railway (TOC Code: GR) and connecting services.

Glasgow-Norwich with DSB

ANYTIME R NOT VIA LONDON £135.30
    OFF-PEAK R NOT VIA LONDON £94.80 VALID ON ANY TRAIN 0930 OR LATER M-F

ANYTIME S NOT VIA LONDON £105.25
    OFF-PEAK S NOT VIA LONDON £94.10

Carlisle-Norwich with DSB

ANYTIME R NOT VIA LONDON £131.30
    OFF-PEAK R NOT VIA LONDON £102.30 VALID BY ANY TRAIN FROM 0900 MON-FRI

ANYTIME S NOT VIA LONDON £80.25

Glasgow - Carlisle with/without 50% discount

ANYTIME R ANY PERMITTED £29.15 £58.30
    ANYTIME R TPE ONLY £23.20 £46.40
    ANYTIME R VIA DUMFRIES £20.40 £40.80

ANYTIME S ANY PERMITTED £14.70 £29.40
    OFF-PEAK S SVS ANY PERMITTED £13.10 £26.20 NOT VALID BEFORE 0900 MONDAYS-FRIDAYS
    ANYTIME DAY S TPE ONLY £11.60 £23.20
    ANYTIME DAY S VIA DUMFRIES £10.40 £20.80
    OFF-PEAK DAY S TPE ONLY NOT VALID BEFORE 0930 £9.80 £19.60
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Susan1962
    Susan1962 Posts: 297 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2019 at 9:11PM
    Options
    Thank you so much for that! The NEC card is good but the only guidance. Could find was 50% off Standard fares which might be better if I had to travel before off peak prices kicked in.

Now I may be reading this wrong but it looks like Glasgow to Norwich is cheaper than Carlisle to Norwich?! Of course it may just be brain fog kicking in so will read again in the morning when I'm less knackered lol

Looks like the disabled Railcard off peak Glas/Norwich is the best option

Bit of a traipse to my nearest station but will pop in this weekend if possible.

Thanks again for such a quick answer. And I definitely concur with the signature. strangely one I hadn't hea d before.
    Looking ahead
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Susan1962 wrote: »
    Now I may be reading this wrong but it looks like Glasgow to Norwich is cheaper than Carlisle to Norwich?!

For the off-peak return, yes. It's to do with how the railway apportions costs and revenues between different operators.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure