Car Insurance - Still active after total loss?

Options
2»

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My insurance company refused to re-insure me on a new car last month following an accident and my original car being written off, and no rebate. The only "concession" I got was to not have the admin fee for cancelling the policy charged. Where would I stand with this on the Ombudsman front? It was only a few weeks, so I've not lost much but I'm curious to know if they've acted correctly.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    I'd say your insurance company were in the wrong. You could make a complaint, refer them to the above ombudsman link and if they still won't compensate you, refer it back to the ombudsman. Which company was it?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

"When an insurer declares a vehicle a write-off, we expect it to offer a consumer the option of bringing a replacement vehicle onto the insurance policy so that the remainder of the policy term can be used. Depending on the make and model of the replacement vehicle, an additional premium may be required by the insurer. This should be calculated on a pro rata basis for the remainder of the policy term."

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/motor-valuation.html

I can't see the quote you've provided anywhere in that link.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I can't see the quote you've provided anywhere in that link.
    It's in older versions of the guidance, eg.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/motor-valuation.html

The current webpage has had most of the useful information removed in an attempt to make it more "consumer-friendly", but AFAIK the underlying policy is still the same.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    My insurance company refused to re-insure me on a new car last month following an accident and my original car being written off, and no rebate. The only "concession" I got was to not have the admin fee for cancelling the policy charged. Where would I stand with this on the Ombudsman front? It was only a few weeks, so I've not lost much but I'm curious to know if they've acted correctly.
    That would depend - was it the same make/model of car, and if not was it one that they would normally have been willing to insure you to drive? If so then they should have allowed you to bring a new vehicle onto the policy (possibly with a bit of extra premium). However if it was not a car they would normally have covered you to drive at all they would have been entitled to refuse to tgransfer the policy.
  • paddyandstumpy
    Options
    Which is digressing from the OP - which is how long does one have to put a new car on cover...
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Which is digressing from the OP - which is how long does one have to put a new car on cover...

I'd say until the policy you paid for expires; i.e. up to 12 months if you paid for 12 months.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 February 2018 at 7:27PM
    Options
    Aretnap wrote: »
    That would depend - was it the same make/model of car, and if not was it one that they would normally have been willing to insure you to drive? If so then they should have allowed you to bring a new vehicle onto the policy (possibly with a bit of extra premium). However if it was not a car they would normally have covered you to drive at all they would have been entitled to refuse to tgransfer the policy.

Newer version of the one I killed, your bog standard skoda fabia. I asked if a different car would make a difference and was told no, it was because of my claims. The accident I had, plus 2 windscreen replacements in the last 5 years. No other accidents, penalty points, driving convictions or anything else.
    I was less than impressed with the decision. The company was the co-op - CIS

With apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure