PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Flannelette pillow cases

Options

Comments

• IrishRose12
    IrishRose12 Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought 2 flannelnette pillow cases just before Christmas from Asda. Think they were labelled as brushed cotton, but definitely flannelnette as that is the only pillowcases I use. They were £3 for 2.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2024 £537/£3,500£1 a day challenge 2024 - £91/£730 Declutter a bag a week in 2024 6/52Lose 24lb - 3/24lbs Read 1 book per week - 5/52Pay off credit card debt 7/100%
  • poorweelass
    Options
    Am I right in thinking that Dunelm actually now own Dorma???

The bushed cotton I have from dunelm was I think their heavy duty/winter weight one perhaps?? Im not sure but the pillow cases and sheets are pretty thick. My only bug bear is the fitted sheets have shrunk a bit, without using a tumble drier ( I do wash at 60oC though) so I do struggle to get them on. Luckily they are singles so not to difficult
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hope you've now triumphantly hunted'n'gathered, op.
    #
    Remember that flannelette originally was fine wool!
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• jackrabbit123
    Options
    I hoped you've been able to track some down, I'm very lucky I have my Grandmothers stripy flannelette sheets and pillowcases, another thought would be Tkmax if there is one near you as they have a variety of bedding odds and ends, and sometimes the likes of Aldi have them in as 'specials'? Hope this helps.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Si_Clist wrote: »
    Can any kind soul please recommend an online source of good old-fashioned decent-quality flannelette pillow cases? The only shop that sold such things hereabouts closed down ages ago, and we don't want to end up with something off Ebay that we can read a paper through after one wash ...

Dunno how far south east you are but there is a bedding and linen shop in Faversham High Street ,can't remember the name off hand but I usually have a shufti in there when I visit my sis-in-law I bought some huge bath sheets a couple of years ago and they were brilliant and the did lots of sheet and pillow cases.Failing that JL would probably sell them but they maybe pricey of perhaps Dunelm
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I still have my eldest DDs pink flannelette sheets from when she was two and she is now 51 :) also the first pair of Dorma's sheets I bought for her when she went into a single bed from her cot so her baby sister could move in

Still in perfect condition and now used on the spare single bed (which was also hers and had been given to me by a neighbours cousin, who had used it for each of her five sons, and it is a cast iron base with latticed work springs with slot in headboards /legs I changed the mattress about 20 years ago but its still the most comfy bed to sleep in.The head board still has some of DDs comic stickers from when she was a little girl It's just too comfortable to throw away
    It's got to be around 80 years old but as good as the day it was made :):):)

JackieO xx
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm afraid I'd be making a (memorable) picture of myself at the local charity shops & then taking shears & the treadle sewing machine to such finds that merit the name flannelette.

A pillowcase is actually a long rectangle, folded twice with a deliberate "envelope" overlap, so in a nearly perfect world (perfection having ready made pillowcases in a texture colour & price you can appreciate), just two seams.

Though if you are assembling from old pyjamas, rather more.

All the very best with your hunt & may sweet dreams follow.
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 9 January 2019 at 6:32PM
    Options
    Well, hopefully we're sorted. None of the shops recommended are at all easy to get to if you don't have a motor car, but at £6 for two pairs from Asda, even I'm quite happy to pay the £2.95 delivery charge, so they should be here by Tuesday latest. Pity they don't do the old candy stripe any more, but mustn't grumble :)

Thanks for all your help, ladies.

PS Neither of us inherited much in the way of bedding apart from one single woollen blanket which was on my bed when I was a kid, and which my dear mother stole when she was demobbed from the RAF in 1946. Even then the quality was going to the dogs, though - it actually needed darning in one place last year ...
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I'm afraid I'd be making a (memorable) picture of myself at the local charity shops & then taking shears & the treadle sewing machine to such finds that merit the name flannelette.

Well, we have the shears and we actually have a choice of three treadle sewing machines all now in perfect working order, but we haven't seen any flannelette in any of the local charity shops for at least a year. Maybe you're beating us to it?
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always split downie covers and replace the back with a flannelette sheet as we cant be doing with polycotton next to us plus what's the point of a 2 sided downie cover? Who sees the underneath when you gave ut on the bed and when you wash it you dont have a replacement. My way means flanellette heaven (as its known in our house) to sleep in and 2 downie covers fir washing and swapping.

Last year I found fully flannelette covers with the matching pillowcases in both the range and b&m. Very happy as that saved me hours of crawling about the floor pinning sheets to the downie top and then sewing them.

We take our flanellette pillowcases if we ever have to sleep away from home. Taking sheets and downie covers would may be be a step too far ???

The other place I've got them is to send off to Scott's of stow. Always been good quality and they usually have patterned ones including stripes (not quite candy stripes but close)

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure