Specified adult childcare credits

Options
2»

Comments

• Emelle
    Options
    I have been trying since March to get national insurance credits as I have been retired and looking after grandchildren for three years. I have received a third letter this morning saying that I have not got all information on the form. This isn't easy when it is not clear exactly what information is required. For example: one form was returned because my daughter hadn't signed the relevant page which was difficult to do as that page wasn't on the form at the time. Another letter said that her husband was the child benefit claimant so I was requested to send his details. This morning's letter tells me that the both need to sign the form. I really feel that HMRC are doing their best to prevent me from claiming. I am interested to hear if anybody else experiencing these problems.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 September 2017 at 3:21PM
    Options
    No problems here, straightforward and simple, never had any queries. The child benefit receiver's signature has always been on the form for at least the past 3 years. Maybe the child's parents have switched who gets the child benefit and that is causing the problem. Just about to submit the 6th (and final) year now.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    I doubt they are preventing you from claiming but they do need the forms to be completed correctly. The gov site and the form does say it needs to be the child benefit recipients details so you should have given her husbands details at the start.

I wasn't aware both parents are required to sign it though, it's usually the grandparent claiming and the child benefit recipient.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Does her husband need the NI credits? It seems odd to transfer them to him if he doesn't need them.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Emelle wrote: »
    I have been trying since March to get national insurance credits as I have been retired and looking after grandchildren for three years. I have received a third letter this morning saying that I have not got all information on the form. This isn't easy when it is not clear exactly what information is required. For example: one form was returned because my daughter hadn't signed the relevant page which was difficult to do as that page wasn't on the form at the time. Another letter said that her husband was the child benefit claimant so I was requested to send his details. This morning's letter tells me that the both need to sign the form. I really feel that HMRC are doing their best to prevent me from claiming. I am interested to hear if anybody else experiencing these problems.

Are you under state pension age? You can only claim if you are.
  • Emelle
    Options
    I have another 3 years before I get my state pension so that is not the problem. I think the issue is that although son in law is in receipt of child benefit, it goes in to my daughters account. Will re do form and try again. Then it all starts again because my grandaughter is at school but I am now looking after my son's little boy.
  • esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am hoping to claim this for the last tax year (2016-7) in October. Does anyone know if the claim needs to be for the full year as I didn't start caring for my granddaughter until June 2016.

Thanks for any advice
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    esmy wrote: »
    I am hoping to claim this for the last tax year (2016-7) in October. Does anyone know if the claim needs to be for the full year as I didn't start caring for my granddaughter until June 2016.

Thanks for any advice
    You can claim for as little as one (or part of which gives you a) week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure