NatWest £125 switch incentive

Options

Comments

• ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Byzar wrote: »
    How long need it to be an account to switch on them? Let's say its opened few days ago

As long as it has the necessary number of direct debits for the relevant switch offer then you can switch it as soon as you want.
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    Byzar wrote: »
    How long need it to be an account to switch on them? Let's say its opened few days ago

Make sure you dds are active (i.e. dds have debited your switch account) before you switch.
  • tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,199 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 31 May 2018 at 8:09PM
    Options
    Mchambers wrote: »
    Make sure you dds are active (i.e. dds have debited your switch account) before you switch.

I believe DD become active once set up is completed with the bank and don!!!8217;t need the first payment to have been taken in order to be active.
  • Mchambers
    Options
    tg99 wrote: »
    I believe DD become active once set up is completed with the bank and don!!!8217;t need the first payment to have been taken in order to be active.

Make sure the dds have debited your account before you switch.
  • tg99
    Options
    Make sure the dds have debited your account before you switch.

You could do if you wanted to play it safe but none of the switches t and c I have seen have ever required the DD to have paid out prior to switching, only that they are ‘active’ hence debiting of your account before the switch is not required.
  • ValiantSon
    Options
    tg99 wrote: »
    You could do if you wanted to play it safe but none of the switches t and c I have seen have ever required the DD to have paid out prior to switching, only that they are ‘active’ hence debiting of your account before the switch is not required.

Much as it pains me to almost agree with Mchambers, how would you prove that a direct debit was active if there was no record of it having been claimed? They cease being active after 13 months without a claim, but if a bank decided to challenge whether a direct debit which had never been claimed was active, then I don't think the customer would be likely to win. Why take the chance?
  • Mchambers
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Much as it pains me to almost agree with Mchambers, how would you prove that a direct debit was active if there was no record of it having been claimed? They cease being active after 13 months without a claim, but if a bank decided to challenge whether a direct debit which had never been claimed was active, then I don't think the customer would be likely to win. Why take the chance?

Mr TSB...You are agreeing with me.
  • ValiantSon
    Options
    Mr TSB...You are agreeing with me.

Don't get used to it.
  • tg99
    Options

Once the set up process is complete then the mandate would still be in place even if the first payment has not come out yet. Thus the bank account you are switching out of would need to switch this direct debit mandate to the new bank account. From memory some banks show online direct debit mandates set up with them even before the first payment has been claimed so you could screenshot that before switching incase for some reason they messed things up and did not switch it. Alternatively you could make a complaint (which I’m sure would be music to the ears of McChambers!) and have it investigated. If some kind of evidence was requested then you could obtain from the organisation claiming the DD payment. In my opinion if the switch messed up then one of these methods would resolve things in the customer’s favour. As I said originally though, if one wanted to play it safe then yes by all means wait for the first payment to be claimed.
  • Mchambers
    Options
    Don't get used to it.

How is your day job working for TSB going ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure