Advice on spending Avios / British Airways Executive Club points

Options
I've amassed over 100,000 airmiles/avios/ba executive club points.
I'm now looking to redeem them on a trip to New York.
Unfortunately though, I'm having trouble getting my head around how they work and was wondering if anyone here could explain a bit more, or give me any hints/tips as to how to make the points go further.
I was under the impression that I could redeem my points for flights, however when looking at flight options, it looks like I have to pay with points PLUS a cash fee. The cash fee, appears in most cases to be greater than a flight ticket booked via Skyscanner. Equally, with hotels... can I use all of my points on a hotel, or is it best to split between cash and vouchers.
I'm a bit annoyed to be struggling with this. I thought it would be much simpler (and cheaper) to use my old 'airmiles' to book flights. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 28 August 2019 at 12:15AM
    Options
    Not usually worth using Avios for long haul economy. Especially on BA.

Good value for short haul "reward flight saver".

Good value for long haul in business class or first.

Redemption fees to the US for business or first are about £670pp return

If you are considering long haul in business class, and can spend £10k in a year on an Amex card, you can earn a "two for one" voucher that can only be used on BA. This allows you to buy two tickets for the Avios price of one ticket. The cash redemption fee has to be paid for each person though.

Have a look at the articles on https://www.headforpoints.com

ETA you can redeem Avios on any One World airline. Redemption fees on Iberia and Aer Lingus are generally lower than on BA. Short haul flights on foreign airlines such as AA and JAL are a bargain, which can be useful if you are touring overseas.
  • koalakoala
    koalakoala Posts: 749 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You can also use them to pay for hotels
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Personally, I think RFS, especially in the Summer holidays is the best by a country mile.

Using American. internally, was also really good value, but BA have really hiked their charges.

But as said HfP has fantastic knowledge, read up on the Avios University
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,041 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Good value for short haul "reward flight saver".

Good value for long haul in business class or first.

Agreed, easiest for OP would be to consider buying an economy ticket and using Avios to upgrade it to premium economy, or better still buying PE, upgrading to Business and flying home overnight in a flat bed seat. Getting a decent (ish) sleep and saving the hotel costs.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Agreed, easiest for OP would be to consider buying an economy ticket and using Avios to upgrade it to premium economy, or better still buying PE, upgrading to Business and flying home overnight in a flat bed seat. Getting a decent (ish) sleep and saving the hotel costs.

Yes to the second part, no to the first. Only the more expensive economy tickets can be upgraded, often costing more than a premium economy / world traveller plus ticket.
    Legal team on standby
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi

I have over 500k avois points - normally pay PE and upgrade to BC.

The only issue is availability - look at:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/

useful info.

Also consider https://rewardflightfinder.com/ that finds availability in the various classes.

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just got three return flights to Dalaman next August 56,500 Avios, inbound was off peak for some reason plus £105 includes suitcases.

Daytime flights in and out
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    steve1500 wrote: »
    inbound was off peak for some reason

A couple of off peak Tuesdays in August.

An unofficial peak/off peak calendar for 2020 can be found here:-

https://www.headforpoints.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/British-Airways-peak-and-off-peak-dates-2020.png

British-Airways-peak-and-off-peak-dates-2020.png

And some discussion about it here:

https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/07/09/avios-british-airways-peak-and-off-peak-reward-calendar-2020/
  • merchcon55
    Options
    daveybuntu wrote: »
    I've amassed over 100,000 airmiles/avios/ba executive club points.
    I'm now looking to redeem them on a trip to New York.
    Unfortunately though, I'm having trouble getting my head around how they work and was wondering if anyone here could explain a bit more, or give me any hints/tips as to how to make the points go further.
    I was under the impression that I could redeem my points for flights, however when looking at flight options, it looks like I have to pay with points PLUS a cash fee. The cash fee, appears in most cases to be greater than a flight ticket booked via Skyscanner. Equally, with hotels... can I use all of my points on a hotel, or is it best to split between cash and vouchers.
    I'm a bit annoyed to be struggling with this. I thought it would be much simpler (and cheaper) to use my old 'airmiles' to book flights. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

As a general rule using Avios for Hotels tends to be rather poor value - basically you are converting Avios into money to pay for the room. The "exchange rate" you get is not all that good.

However, if you feel you would never use the Avios for any of the better value uses (others have given suggestions) - and if you wont use them for Long Haul to USA due to high fees, then, even though they are "poor value" for hotels - it still saves you money to use them for hotels.

So think about future possibilities - and if those exist - save the Avios for now. Otherwise, use them for hotels.

I'll add that I am from NYC (going on Saturday as it happens) - if you want any "insider advice" on things to do, etc.. send me a PM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure