Can people really take time off work for "stress"?

Options

Comments

• TyreLever
    TyreLever Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Or perhaps, TyreLever, you have been so privileged as to work for bosses who actually know your job; how to do it, the pressures and limitations therein and, most importantly, how it feels to be in your postion. In short, maybe your employer(s) actually give a t0$$.

I have had jobs in the past that were just shy of making me wish I was dead. I never went on sick leave for stress, I just quit and went back on the dole and looked for different work. It took me about 10 years of temporary and/or minimum wage jobs before I got the one I'm at now. I think how I felt about my situation was more bitter anger than anxiety or stress. Altho I did feel very down quite a bit so I know many cases are genuine. I just feel that "stress" leave has become a pizs-take now. As mentioned, this has consequences for those genuine cases.
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2018 at 9:15AM
    Options
    TyreLever wrote: »
    I have had jobs in the past that were just shy of making me wish I was dead. I never went on sick leave for stress, I just quit and went back on the dole and looked for different work. It took me about 10 years of temporary and/or minimum wage jobs before I got the one I'm at now. I think how I felt about my situation was more bitter anger than anxiety or stress. Altho I did feel very down quite a bit so I know many cases are genuine. I just feel that "stress" leave has become a pizs-take now. As mentioned, this has consequences for those genuine cases.

You see, I don't understand who you are having a go at here...

Can you quote some specific examples of where employees have taken time off for "stress" and have been shown to be blagging it? Newspaper article links are fine. I have no doubt that there will be examples, but it may help to re-focus the discussion a little!

I only ask because I've only ever gone off sick for stress because I was in the exact same position as you! The point where "I just quit and went back on the dole" was a credible option as well. But at the end of the day, the government/company offer you money whilst off sick so why not take advantage of that (so long as you are genuinely ill)? Going off sick for stress was a kick up the bum for my employer and it got bearable from then on.

Or are you trying to argue that "stress" isn't a good enough reason to go off sick? If you are, may I enquire as to why you spewed quite a few jobs? :) Funny that "stress" isn't it? Makes you think in a distorted way and do extreme things.... That being said, you seem to be classifying your situation as something other than stress; yea I can relate to that. I didn't sit there rationally thinking that I had stress, but rather that "bitter anger" you mention! Still, it probably just is stress when you look at it rationally. Even if it isn't, the whole environment is affecting you mentally and "stress" is just a nice little blanket term for something you usually can't describe with any other word. You wouldn't go off work with "bitter anger".

I actually think that you've probably worked in those sort of places which rule by fear; that encourage you to think that going off sick due to stress or anything like that is *weak*. I think that might be why you are slightly distorted in your viewpoint over "stress", especially as you haven't really defined who you have a pet peeve against (is it people like me who handle bad stress by going off sick instead of spewing a fairly stable job?).

(btw I'm not talking about everyday stress, like having to get a report done at last minute because of a demanding boss. I'm talking about stress which leads you to the "I just quit and went back on the dole" mindset)
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    OP. I'm sure your question is entirely innocent. I'm glad that you've never suffered the type of stress that makes you ill and incapable of going into work. I hope you never do. It's not nice.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 March 2018 at 9:28AM
    Options
    Being off work for stress is a difficult one. It is a serious medical condition which can seriously affect someone and is a genuine reason for being absent for work.

The problem is that I do think a small number of people do get signed off work with stress when they should not be

As an example in my department I know five people who have been off with stress. Four were genuine but one was just using it as an excuse because they knew they would not hit a dealline. They self certified for a week and did not see a doctor. It is however impossible to prove this is what they did.
  • Detroit
    Detroit Posts: 790 Forumite
    Options
    Work should not be naturally stressful. It may be pressured, but the employee should typically feel they can cope.

If this is not the case, either there is something wrong with the job ( which would be indicated if other people doing it felt the same); the person is not competent or is unsuited to the work; or the person is unwell.

Sometimes it's a combination of these things. Sometimes people use it as an excuse not to work, sometimes to excuse poor performance.

It's a complex area with no definitive answer.

Put your hands up.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Detroit wrote: »
    Work should not be naturally stressful. It may be pressured, but the employee should typically feel they can cope.

If this is not the case, either there is something wrong with the job ( which would be indicated if other people doing it felt the same); the person is not competent or is unsuited to the work; or the person is unwell.

Sometimes it's a combination of these things. Sometimes people use it as an excuse not to work, sometimes to excuse poor performance.

It's a complex area with no definitive answer.

It may also be that the person is being bullied or unfairly treated.
  • Detroit
    Detroit Posts: 790 Forumite
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    It may also be that the person is being bullied or unfairly treated.

Absolutely. I'd put this in the category of something being wrong with the job, but it would be something not necessarily experienced by others, so is an important distinction.

Put your hands up.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The problem is that this is a bit of a pointless thread. It all depends on my, your, and everyone else's definition of stress. What some are talking about here would fall into my definition of depression. Here are a couple of definitions:

STRESS a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or demanding circumstances.

DEPRESSION a mood disorder marked especially by sadness, inactivity, difficulty in thinking and concentration, a significant increase or decrease in appetite and time spent sleeping, feelings of dejection and hopelessness, and sometimes suicidal tendencies

I tend to think that by my own internal definition, anyone in a job is stressed. We are paid to do something that is going to cause some mental strain. Footballer or flipping burgers, someone is paying you to do something that at least in small bursts will require concentration, mental exertion and pressure from outside forces (generally people). This will cause stress - even from its scientific definition.

So you really can't generalise unless you define it exactly.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have bipolar disorder. Stress for me usually ends up with me being either manic or depressed, both of which have led to time off sick. Stress may not effect you but for others it can have a huge effect on their ability to function.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    Isn't the problem that the word "stress" has more than one meaning?

AIUI, stress can be good for me. I can stress my muscles and skeleton by rowing or weight training. Apparently that makes my muscles and skeleton stronger. I can do the same for my CV system by running or cycling etc. All this stress makes me stronger. I can even "stress" my brain by intensive study and that makes my brain better. All this stress is good for you.

But if you've got a medical diagnosis of work related stress - that's something completely different and is not good for you!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback