Money sent to 3rd party wrong account

Options
I paid a club membership as per details on his form via an online payment. He now says account number was wrong. I’ve contacted my bank hsbc to try to retrieve money. They contacted Santander. Santander said person had insufficient funds to refund money so can’t do anything. Hsbc wrote to me to say I can follow it up independently by writing to ?? To ask for the beneficiary name & address but they do t say who to write to.

I want to pursue this but need help please.
Thanks

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Vezzer92 wrote: »
    Hsbc wrote to me to say I can follow it up independently by writing to ?? To ask for the beneficiary name & address but they do t say who to write to.
    I don't understand what the letter actually said, surely it didn't have a couple of question marks in lieu of actual text? If it did then ask them to clarify.....

There is a legal procedure known as a Norwich Pharmacal order which can be used to get hold of beneficiary details in such circumstances, but I believe it'll be expensive - there's a similar story at https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74857186
    I paid a club membership as per details on his form via an online payment. He now says account number was wrong.
    If you were given incorrect details by the payee then I suspect your easiest route will be to hold him accountable for the error rather than trying to chase the misdirected payment itself....
  • Vezzer92
    Options
    The bank have written that under the payment services regulations 2017 I am able to submit a written request to obtain the beneficiary’s name and address but doesn’t say who to.

I could say it is the fault of the person who gave me the wrong number but he is a friend and runs the club on minimal funds and good will. Mine was not the only pay received by this thief. He got wuite a lot. Might try the police!
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The bank have written that under the payment services regulations 2017 I am able to submit a written request to obtain the beneficiary’s name and address but doesn’t say who to.

I could say it is the fault of the person who gave me the wrong number but he is a friend and runs the club on minimal funds and good will. Mine was not the only pay received by this thief. He got wuite a lot. Might try the police!
    How do you know the 'thief' is a he?
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Why is he a thief? For all you know he was in an overdraft and all your money has done is reduce the overdraft. So he may still be in a position of "insufficient funds" as Santander have said.

Yes he owes all of you the money paid in error, but you're making assumptions.
  • tehone
    tehone Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I would have thought it unlikely that you could randomly get an account number wrong and for it to still be a valid one in use.

What's the difference between the account number you were given and the one it should have been.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    This needs to be a wake up call for your club - is it operating its funds through a private account ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Vezzer92
    Options
    tehone wrote: »
    I would have thought it unlikely that you could randomly get an account number wrong and for it to still be a valid one in use.

What's the difference between the account number you were given and the one it should have been.

A 9 and a zero round the wrong way
  • Vezzer92
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    This needs to be a wake up call for your club - is it operating its funds through a private account ?

Yes hardly did it deliberately! And no it’s a business account
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I paid a club membership as per details on his form

Has he printed off a batch of these? If so, there may be other payments in error.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Has he printed off a batch of these? If so, there may be other payments in error.
    Yes, OP already stated that others had made payments to the same erroneous account:
    Mine was not the only pay received by this thief. He got wuite a lot.
    Given this information, presumably gleaned from the friend at the club, it wouldn't make much sense for a group of members to individually seek court orders for the same thing, so some collective action might be beneficial, which should be coordinated (and funded) by the guy who got the form wrong in the first place....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure