can anyone share there last windows virus experience?

Options

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yeah I would pay an MBAM subscription anytime over a paid AV soultion.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Slight off-topic ... it seems MS built-in Defender is more of a resource-hog than one might imagine:

https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/performance-test-april-2018/

Think I'll stick with Bitdefender free.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    To be fair, I use Linux exclusively these days. The idea of getting a virus is foreign to me :D

There's nothing like living a life in ignorance....

https://www.computerworlduk.com/galleries/security/10-linux-malware-threats-bots-backdoors-trojans-malicious-apps-3634006/
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 October 2018 at 5:35PM
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    To be fair, I use Linux exclusively these days. The idea of getting a virus is foreign to me :D

We will stick you in the group that say...

" I have never used an antivirus or firewall and have never had a virus or attack"

They also didnt think it was odd that foreign people kept calling claiming to be lost family and knew everything about them even their shopping habits and credit card numbers. :)
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    dogmaryxx wrote: »
    Malwarebytes for Windows Premium is the answer.and a lifetime licence can be had for approx. £7.
    Sceptical about this is my answer. If the virus is new, or undetected then you cant detect, unless you start to run checksums on all your files beforehand.

Then what about various updates in software and newly created files and temp files, how will they be handled?

Our problem is that although we update a/v servers multiple times a day, and have mutiple a/v servers, the virus was too new to have a pattern.

A/v companies often only get patterns if something goes wrong, so it is possible to get a virus which installs itself on one pc, no one knows it is there, and one day when it finds it call home path is live, or a certain file is present on the net (pic your own trigger here), then it activates and there might be no pattern for it?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Which displays a misunderstanding of what MBAM actually is ... it's not an AV.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    edited 11 October 2018 at 11:07PM
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »

Yawn..... Any system is vulnerable, right down to the device sat on your bedside table. I'm a software engineer who has previously specialized in reverse engineering. I've actually worked on this very thing...

But there's two types of vulnerable system..... Windows and Everything Else.

Windows, for many years, had poorly engineered security. The particularly early versions had horrifying security flaws and even Windows 7 had numerous problems. The out of box setup was nowhere near secure enough, for far too long. I honestly dread to think of the amount of data that has been lost, damaged or stolen on Windows computers due to the ridiculously poor security. I was trying to think of the most ridiculous security flaw that I can remember, but I keep coming back to this one..... Windows 95 (and 98) allowed you to set a simple username and password.... And assuming you didn't change the settings from those from the factory, if you pressed cancel on the login box it would take you to a generic user account which had access to the entire C drive and with a trivial amount of skill, you could access every document on that machine. Every private, sensitive data, completely exposed. I figured most people would have forgotten this by now, but turns out a few on YouTube and Reddit remember it just as fondly as I do.

I had a field day at school with Windows. I repeatedly and fairly comprehensively accessed almost every corner of every file server on that network and I was only a teenager. I nearly got expelled it for it, although it arguably inspired me to become an engineer. That said, I can only imagine what people with real skill were able to do. Absolute chaos I imagine.

No idea if Windows 10 is more secure or not, I bloody hope so.

That's also ignoring the fact that most (wannabe) crackers (not hackers!) are only really interested in extortion or vendettas these days and Windows is the most popular OS, therefore the best and easiest one to target. For every kid in his bedroom finding an edge case backdoor via an uber specific version of SSH, you've got literally thousands of people writing !!!!!! .NET malware designed to extort money out of old ladies and literally thousands of sexually frustrated teenagers accessing webcams via Trojan horses they've downloaded off the internet, in a vain attempt to eye up some titty. That's just a fact really.

I'm not ignorant.... I'm probably complacent, but I know exactly what the score is... Thanks though.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    We will stick you in the group that say...

" I have never used an antivirus or firewall and have never had a virus or attack"

They also didnt think it was odd that foreign people kept calling claiming to be lost family and knew everything about them even their shopping habits and credit card numbers. :)
    Of course I use a firewall.... What a stupid suggestion. I don't use anti virus on Linux. I honestly don't need too.
  • Gillor
    Gillor Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Which displays a misunderstanding of what MBAM actually is ... it's not an AV.

Exactly.
    Quote from Malwarebytes website...
    Put simply, Malwarebytes aims to protect you against all manner of malware, but common viruses and older threats aren't included. Their goal is to stay on the forefront and protect users from new exploits, trojans, backdoors, adware, and spyware. For everything else, you'll want a traditional on-access security tool.
  • Gillor
    Gillor Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    that wrote: »
    A/v companies often only get patterns if something goes wrong, so it is possible to get a virus which installs itself on one pc, no one knows it is there, and one day when it finds it call home path is live, or a certain file is present on the net (pic your own trigger here), then it activates and there might be no pattern for it?

Agreed. Relying solely on a traditional signature based a/v is insufficient - no signature, no protection until the a/v company identifies the risk and issues a signature for it. By which time a new wave of malware has been released and the process starts all over again.

As most trojans install without the users knowledge they can be establishing remote access to external servers, uploading/downloading files, collecting system information, logging keystrokes and running background processes without any obvious signs of activity.

And if that trojan happens to deliver a rootkit, forget trying to clean the computer – it’s a fresh install job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure