Electric switch with solar export smart meter

Options
Can anyone assist as I need a supplier that can provide dual fuel at a reasonable rate BUT with a smart meter, not currently fitted. I also have solar panels on the main FIT schedule, installed February 2012. I would want this also switched BUT I would like an export meter, either in the smart meter or separate . My requirement is that I am out of the country at times when the meter needs to be read.

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you sure you want to move to having your export measured?

Generally you will be better off just getting paid the 50% deemed rate rather than the measured actual.

For me, I would lose out on something like £30pa by going to actual export amount. I have had a smart meter which reads export units for over 7 years now, so have been able to make the comparison.

My FIT has always been paid by nPower (who were my supplier when the panels were installed) but I have moved supplier several times since then.
  • Starquest
    Starquest Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi although I agree, my requirements are a little different in that I will be out of the country from April to October, we have a place in Spain. This means I would not use any electric during the prime months. My current FIT supplier is eon but all services have also been moved several times. Is there any supplier that would pay on export?
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Starquest wrote: »
    Hi although I agree, my requirements are a little different in that I will be out of the country from April to October, we have a place in Spain. This means I would not use any electric during the prime months. My current FIT supplier is eon but all services have also been moved several times. Is there any supplier that would pay on export?
    Octopus will pay on an export basis. They also do FIT payments now, but you don't have to switch FIT to them.

See https://octopus.energy/blog/outgoing/
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you want an export meter fitting, you will have to pay for one yourself, as far as a smart export meter, I have only seen these where you got the solar panels fitted for 'free' (soul). I honestly don't think you will be able to get a smart export meter.

However, some smart electric meters do record import and export reads, I am not sure if the export reads are recovered automatically.

In terms of a smart meter fitting, most suppliers will offer you a dual fuel product with a smart meter included.
  • thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    MeterMan wrote: »
    If you want an export meter fitting, you will have to pay for one yourself, as far as a smart export meter, I have only seen these where you got the solar panels fitted for 'free' (soul). I honestly don't think you will be able to get a smart export meter.

However, some smart electric meters do record import and export reads, I am not sure if the export reads are recovered automatically.

In terms of a smart meter fitting, most suppliers will offer you a dual fuel product with a smart meter included.

A new scheme called the Smart Export Guarantee SEG places a legal obligation on all energy suppliers with more than 150,000 customers to introduce export tariffs by Jan 2020.

This scheme replaces the old FIT payments which closed to new entrants on 1st April 2019.

Under the SEG scheme, homes and businesses that have installed solar panels, wind turbines or other forms of small-scale renewable energy generation, with a capacity of up to 5MW, will be paid for each unit of electricity they sell to the grid, which will be tracked by their smart meter.

Some suppliers are already operating this scheme.

You do not have to pay for a meter yourself as it is a feature of SMETS2 smart meters via the DCC.

I would have expected you to be better informed MeterMan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure