PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tips to save money to pay debt off quicker

Options

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Brambling, I knew I'd seen it somewhere.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • B17c
    B17c Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning all!
    Had a couple of messages of interest on some of the bits I put on fb marketplace yesterday so hopefully that will be a sale over the next couple of days, going to add more today!
    The thing I'm most excited about sadly is whilst I was rummaging around in my work bag for receipts to scan I found a full pack of cigs I'd forgotten I'd bought... :o
    I'll be giving up because there's no room in my budget for cigs but I'm glad I found these ones now and not give up, find them and smoke them and give up again!
    Think I'm gonna batch cook some sort of pasta dish today, probably spaghetti bolognaise and maybe roast chicken. That will see me through the week.
    Spoke to a friend about doing a carboot sale with me and she said she was already planning to do one so that would be amazing if we could do that soon!
    I'm thinking I need to do a couple of regular side hustles if anyone has any ideas? I don't really have time to do surveys, I work nights and I don't drive so maybe I'm limited... working tonight so maybe I'll do some overtime if it's available :T
    Credit Card Debt:[STRIKE]£12991[/STRIKE] £12526
    14/12/18 27/12/18
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019
    #126 £1900/£12526
  • B17c
    Options
    Afternoon all. Nothing new to report really, no sales on fb or ebay as of yet, there was no overtime last night so might have to pick up an extra shift later on in the week. The friend who I've been talking to about doing a carboot sale with will be in tonight so hopefully we can have a chat about it and set a date! I'm not feeling too good today, a bit anxious. I'm going to try to get back to sleep for a few hours before work x
    14/12/18 27/12/18
    #126 £1900/£12526
  • monnagran
    Options
    Don't feel anxious B17c, you've already done the most important bit - pinpointed the problem, resolved to do something about it, explored several avenues, decided on an action plan and pressed the 'GO' button.

That was all quite exciting but now you start the hard bit. It is just putting your blinkers on, have that notebook chained to you and write down every penny you spend, draw your graph, thermometer whatever and look forward to colouring in the first block off the Aqua debt (I'd make it no more than £25) and tighten your belt. It does get a bit boring but it is the only way.

You will find that it soon becomes second nature to question everything you buy. Is it a want or a need? You will automatically go to the YS section first in every supermarket. Before you buy ANYTHING you will ask yourself, "Can I manage without it?" Eventually the mere idea of spending money on something not strictly necessary will send shivers down your spine.

When you get to that stage you can start allowing yourself a couple of pounds here and there for a small treat. But NOT YET.

I must sound very bossy to you but that is because I could probably be your Granny! Grannies are allowed to order people about.
  • B17c
    Options
    Thanks monnagran... I like bossy! And you can never have too many granny or mummy figures. I'll be 40 in March, dunno if you're granny material yet!!
    I get anxiety every now and then, sometimes when there's no apparent cause... I liken it to being afraid of flying and you're at the airport waiting for your flight to be called... that underlying uneasiness whilst you're browsing duty free trying to take your mind off it! I'll possibly wake up tomorrow and feel fine, it just comes and goes.

On the plus side, I was talking to a woman I work with last night who might be able to get me some babysitting/childminding work, she used to do it full time but can't fit it around this job and her own kids now but she obvs still has contacts... that would be great for me as I can have them for a few hours in the afternoon then have a sleep before work, or babysit them (I sound like I'm 15!) on my nights off work. So I'm quite excited to see how that turns out!
    14/12/18 27/12/18
    #126 £1900/£12526
  • monnagran
    Options
    Darling, I am twice your age so could well be grandmother material. True my 2 eldest grandchildren are 27 and my youngest is 5 but I was a late starter in the grandparent stakes.

Baby sitting sounds great if it fits in nicely around your work. I don't know what times you are available but mothers who work are often looking for someone to collect their children from school and look after them until they can be collected. I don't know if you have to have some official permit to be able to do this in your home but it would definitely be worth looking into..

It's all go, isn't it?
  • tiredwithtwins
    Options
    Where abouts in the uk do you live? only asking as I shop at a place called the Company Shop - there are several stores across the uk. They are basically supermarket outlet shops, and everything is usually at least 50% off. I can shop there for me and my 3 adult size teenagers for about £25/week. lots goes in the freezer but it keeps my head above the water. im in Sheffield, if you are near me send me a message and I can take you in as a guest. membership is open to the nhs, emergency services and supermarket employees - the list is on their website.
    good luck, I know how hard it can be .. my debt is slowly coming down but its a long slog on my nurses wage.
    let me know if I can help .. or anyone else around Sheffield who just needs a cheap shop,
    S :)
    wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!
  • Mayflower10cat
    Mayflower10cat Posts: 1,148 Forumite
    Options
    When I was really in trouble financially, I did the 'Spend Diary' which was illuminating and terrifying. Made a menu plan every week so I didn't buy anything on impulse and filled my freezer with huge batches of homemade pasta sauce and a basic curry that could be added to. Stopped buying clothes, aside from charity shop/boot fair bargains.

Sold a lot of stuff on eBay. And ploughed everything back onto my debts. It was hard and horrible but after five years I was back in the black.

It made me realise I could still have a social life if friends came to me and I cooked (rather than go out) and they brought the bulk of the wine (I'd have a couple of bottles bought cannily).

This was more than 30 years ago. Now, I'd be looking at food sites like http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/ for bargains. And if you have to have a little retail treat https://www.everything5pounds.com/en/New-Arrivals/c/new-arrivals#/?q=&sort=newArrivals they have such great new bargains, you can buy and keep it for yourself or buy to sell on. All BNWTs.

Only having cash in your purse is the hardest but most telling way to limit what you spend.
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi B17c,

I have learned a lot on here. Two surprising things,
    Fabric conditioner is not necessary. Clothes are my 'thing' and I take very good care of them. No difference at all with just washing powder. Washing machine drawer stays clean too.

Ready meals, even M&S are not a patch on home cooked ones. Good ingredients matter though.

The advice on Old Style is amazing.
  • NelliePie
    NelliePie Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 June 2018 at 1:33PM
    Options
    Have you guys thought of getting an eco egg? 720 washes for £20! We were dubious at first but for almost everything we wash it works fine. There's only my husbands cricket whites which get covered in grass stains that need an extra boost. This has saved us huge amounts in laundry detergent already and comes in (2?) different fragrances and plain. We got ours on Amazon.
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills