Bought a TV but Currys T&Cs don't let me turn it on??

Options
Hi all,
I've ordered a TV online from Currys and it arrives tomorrow. I'm not sure as to whether the size will suit the room and might buy a slightly smaller one instead but won't really know until I see it.

Curry's T&C's state...
Separately to the 21 day policy above, and in accordance with your rights when you purchase goods online or over the phone, unwanted items can be returned even if you have opened them for inspection as long as you let us know within 14 calendar days from the day after delivery.

So far so good....

However, assuming the TV does fit the room then I would like to try it to make sure I like the picture quality and there aren't any problems with the screen but Curry's T&C's then state....

You can examine the goods as you would in a shop but to obtain a full refund you must not start using them, install them or input any data/software. The goods must be returned in ‘as new’ condition and in their original packaging.

So it sounds like if I were to power the device up (and it could possibly need to update it's software?) and I wasn't happy with the picture (assuming it wasn't a fault but just my own personal preference) then I wouldn't be able to return the item?

I want to see if this is really the case as, assuming I'm happy with the size of the TV, I would obviously want to inspect the picture / sound quality.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

John

Comments

• lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You would be able to inspect the picture and sound quality of a TV in the shop. They have them all set up for this purpose. So I think it should be fine, but there is probably no need for the shop to know that you've done this. If you Google how to factory reset the TV you know that you can do this after examining it to reset it back to its original state.

Only perform the bare minimum tasks you would expect to do in the shop and you should be OK.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Theres a fine line, you can't play about with settings or install apps or updates in a shop so you need to be careful as to what digital foot print turning it on will leave.

As a TV I would assume just turning it on wouldn't be an issue but tbh I don't know what info the pcb on TV's record.

You should be ok but just don't sit and watch it for 14 days as that's going beyond what you can do in a shop.

it's always best to get reviews on the exact model before you buy it, there are always plenty reviews about.
  • davidwood681
    davidwood681 Posts: 881 Forumite
    Options
    I always think the people who complain about not being able to return goods that have been opened/used/tested are the type of people who would moan the loudest if they had bought goods that had previously been opened/used/tested.
  • Johnny_T
    Johnny_T Posts: 38 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies Bris / Lammy.

lammy82 wrote: »
    You would be able to inspect the picture and sound quality of a TV in the shop. They have them all set up for this purpose. So I think it should be fine, but there is probably no need for the shop to know that you've done this. If you Google how to factory reset the TV you know that you can do this after examining it to reset it back to its original state.

Only perform the bare minimum tasks you would expect to do in the shop and you should be OK.

Lammy the factory reset is a brilliant idea!!

I can't imagine the picture being anything but amazing! But I have read that there are sometimes issues and I wanted to be clear of my rights before I switch it on.

I don't envisage any issues at all but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks again Bris and Lammy for all your help.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Options
    I always think the people who complain about not being able to return goods that have been opened/used/tested are the type of people who would moan the loudest if they had bought goods that had previously been opened/used/tested.

So let's get this right.
    You are using a consumer rights forum to complain about people who avail themselves of their consumer rights to open the packages of most items purchased at a distance and then test them to see if they are suitable?
    Provided that this inspection and testing isn't excessive and doesn't go beyond what you could do in a shop, it's perfectly acceptable and legal for the OP to unbox the TV and see if the picture and sound are suitable.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Options
    Would you want to buy a telly that someone had "tried out"? I wouldnt! Trying to repack as original is also hard.
  • Johnny_T
    Johnny_T Posts: 38 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Would you want to buy a telly that someone had "tried out"? I wouldnt! Trying to repack as original is also hard.

I tend to take photos on my phone as I unpack stuff just in case it needs to go back.

But, you are perfectly correct that, given the choice between an item that has been 'opened' (and potentially tried) and a new one, I think everyone would pick the new one.
  • davidwood681
    davidwood681 Posts: 881 Forumite
    Options
    So let's get this right.
    You are using a consumer rights forum to complain about people who avail themselves of their consumer rights to open the packages of most items purchased at a distance and then test them to see if they are suitable?
    Provided that this inspection and testing isn't excessive and doesn't go beyond what you could do in a shop, it's perfectly acceptable and legal for the OP to unbox the TV and see if the picture and sound are suitable.

Yep, the British public have far TOO many consumer rights and need a slap of reality every now and again to show how hypocritical they are.

I don't expect a new product to be delivered that you have had used and opened in your smelly fag and dog ridden home.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, the British public have far TOO many consumer rights and need a slap of reality every now and again to show how hypocritical they are.

I don't expect a new product to be delivered that you have had used and opened in your smelly fag and dog ridden home.
    The "British public"?
    The consumer rights regarding distance selling and unwanted goods returns are EU wide and not limited to the UK and they only came about because of an EU requirement.

If a retailer receives something back that has been excessively used and is dirty or smells of cigarettes then they are perfectly entitled to refuse a full refund because of this so if you buy something that turns up in this condition, blame the retailer.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

Whilst I agree the fact still remains the law lets you open packages then return them, can't blame the consumer for that.

I know for a fact that companies get a lot of opened returns, I suppose they must just have them professionally repacked so we never know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure