Heron Global Partners acting as broker for Diamond Construction and Renewables

Options

Comments

• TheoC
    TheoC Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    My heart sank when I saw these posts. Is there anything to be done to retrieve money from these people?

dunstonh wrote: »
    If you look at the most common scams that are currently taking

place, they utilise multiple companies. By creating extra hops they can all dney liability and make it harder for investigators. Often in the chain there is a company that is based overseas just to make it more complicated.

Which they are not authorised or regulated to do in the UK. They use unregulated areas. Most of which are totally unsuitable for the average UK consumer.

Again, if you look at the scams or investment failures that are going on, they are virtually all unregulated. And that is for good reason. If you wanted to peddle dodgy things, you would not become regulated. This is not to say all unregulated areas are bad. However, there are a number of things to look out for
    1 - use of only unregulated investments and the promotor/seller is also unregulated (that means no controls or consumer protection exists at any stage)
    2 - use of multiple companies in the process.
    3 - New company recently set up
    4 - directors have track record of very many companies. Even more on guard if those companies have short lives (i.e. set up, short period of scamming and shut down again before anyone takes an interest and then phoenix under a new name and repeat.
    5 - Operates under a virtual office (which for reference this company do). Whilst there are plenty of genuine companies that use virtual offices, it is frequently the case with scams and dodgy arrangements as it hides their real location. It is usually used to make them sound more impressive than they are. e.g. a student operating out of a top floor flat in Southend could have a posh address in London if they used a virtual office.

The above is a guide for caution. It is possible that all those things could occur and the company be genuine and fair. A lot of genuine companies will also use one or more of those things. They are just risk warnings for what the scam/dodgy things usually do and to put you on guard. The more that apply, the more on guard you should be.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    TheoC wrote: »
    My heart sank when I saw these posts. Is there anything to be done to retrieve money from these people?
    It depends whether it is a scam or a genuine failed business. If the latter they may still have some assets. If their banks have frozen their accounts as described by Tonyclarke there might be something but typically with these sort of cases the owners vanish, there are no assets, and the police are unlikely to investigate. You should write off your money and beware being cold call contacted by another company saying they can recover your money - it will turn out to require an up front fee and you will end up losing more.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

It really depends what you've put money into, when and how. If you're early enough in the cycle you may find you can extract money as they don't want the bad publicity being around to put others off.

However, what exactly have you signed up to and invested in? If you agreed to a 5 year term for example then you may struggle to get money out after 6 months.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Brenat124
    Options
    I am in a similar position regarding this investment. Now that I have a lot more information from this thread, I will fight to get my money back!
  • Gadfium
    Gadfium Posts: 763 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Threads like this always makes me question my life decisions. Why am I going to work in corporate life every day, facing the daily grind, dealing with traffic, customers and management and all that goes with it for a monthly salary??? The country seems to be full of, shall we say, less suspicious people than me* that seem happy to throw money at a fancy webpage or glossy adverts in the shallower tributaries of the press in the hopes of getting a ridiculous rate of return. As far as I can see, what I should be doing is renting a Post Office box number in a serviced office block, spend a few £grand on a fancy webpage and some advertising, set up some shell companies and sit back and wait for the less suspicious than me* to chuck money at me.

Then I remember that I am honest and am not prepared to scam and fleece people for a quick buck. Maybe I need to rethink my lifeplan.....

*gullible
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Gadfium wrote: »

Then I remember that I am honest and am not prepared to scam and fleece people for a quick buck. Maybe I need to rethink my lifeplan.....
    Although technology advances have allowed huge swathes of dodgy websites and spam emails to come into being - at least with so much information at your fingertips about what legitimate regulated investments look like these days it should be more difficult to get caught unawares. The connected-ness and online-everything these days gives you more time in your life for proper research and much easier interaction with legit businesses so you don't need to fall for cold callers and dodgy ads.

Back in the day the unscrupulous types could just put a small ad in the papers for something innocuous via mail order, not deliver it, and wait for someone to demand a refund. Then refund their claim with the cheque marked in large bold print "Refund for your Bonerpillz(tm) which failed to grow your micropenis", safe in the knowledge that the customer would not want to go along to the cashier at his small-town bank branch and present the cheque to get his money back. Less likely to work these days because the customer can just stick the cheque in a machine-reader and have the £20 credited without interacting with another human.

So, certain types of scams are naturally dying off and being replaced by new evolutions of con-artistry. But the old ones - such as 'give me money for an investment that I might not actually make' or 'give me money with a guaranteed return which I will pay out for the first few years using the deposited money from new suckers while skimming off your capital for myself' - have been going since well before Mr Ponzi made them famous almost a hundred years ago.

- PS I have no direct experience of Bonerpillz(tm) nor micropenises so cannot vouch for their efficacy or otherwise; twas just an example.
  • Gadfium
    Gadfium Posts: 763 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    - PS I have no direct experience of Bonerpillz(tm) nor micropenises so cannot vouch for their efficacy or otherwise; twas just an example.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks. C'mon Bowlhead....come clean. We all know that you still have that cheque tucked away somewhere... :p:D:D:D:D
  • TheoC
    TheoC Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    This investment is also being sold by Heron Global.
    BEWARE - it looks like another scam.
  • Tcquins
    Tcquins Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    A simple rule- if an investment provider (of questionable reputation) is promising an interest rate of 7-10%, it's highly likely to go bust or be a scam- guaranteed returns of this nature are just total BS- stay away.
    Caveat Emptor!
  • sarahemmm
    sarahemmm Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This investment is also being sold by Heron Global.
    BEWARE - it looks like another scam.

Also beware: this site may get a takedown request from HG, as they did to my original post. Not allowed to say more... which does tell you something.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure