Advice needed re: no fault accident

Options
Hello all,

My Dad was driving along the North Circular just before Christmas with my mum & myself as passengers. Speed limit was 40 and he was doing 38. A white van was driving behind us for a while in quite an aggressive manner – zooming up to very near the rear of the car and generally being unpleasant. We were intending to move far away but before this could safely happen the van overtook us, swiped our driver side mirror which was left dangling and sped off. We're pretty sure it was intentional as he had to swerve into our lane to do it and immediately accelerated off after a significant impact crunch.

We took pics of the van and registration plate, which are time stamped, but didn’t get a pic of the driver although we could all describe him.

We reported the incident to the police and have a reference number. We received a letter this week that says they will be doing nothing which we expected.

The mechanic has today quoted 700 squid. We had assumed it would be around the excess (350) and were therefore going to swallow the cost. We’re a bit shocked to find it so steep. He’ll get a second quote but assuming this is right it’s a sizeable chunk of cash for an unpleasant, unprovoked and totally avoidable event.

My dad has insurance but would lose his no claims discount if he went through them – plus this was a crime albeit of the minor variety.

What can we do? Can we do anything other than report to insurance?

*Could he do some kind of private claim? Could he go direct to their insurance or via small claims?

*Presumably this chap will protest and deny being in the country or somesuch. Does anyone know how it works if he denies all involvement?

Realistically it will probably be put through insurance but it would be nice to know what to expect/ information on any other option.

Thanks!!

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, you can go directly to his insurer - you can find it from askmid.com - but when he denies it, and they hand it back to you, what then?

You could issue a small claim. He'll deny it in his defence to the court, of course, and with no further proof, you'll lose. What then?

If he puts it through his insurance, he'll save £350, but have the ongoing cost of the loss of NCB.
  • Elliepellie
    Options
    I understand you’re a long serving member with many posts and many thanks. But you don’t have to respond if you find my questions tedious.

I know how to get his insurance and registration details.

As stated in the post my expectations were realistic. I assumed there was little to be done other than submit via insurance but thought it was worth checking with those more knowledgeable. Additionally, my post was requesting information regarding the insurance process as I expect he will deny involvement via any claim route.

I had hoped someone might have had a similar experience or knowledge/insight on the process in general.

If anyone does have relevant information on this pickle I would appreciate hearing your thoughts

Thank you :)
  • George_Michael
    Options
    I understand you’re a long serving member with many posts and many thanks. But you don’t have to respond if you find my questions tedious.
    You might not like what AdrianC has posted or how they worded it but the 3 options he gave are the only 3 options that there are and unless your dad wants to pay the money out of his own pocket and not take further action, he will have to either go directly to the other driver's insurer, go through his own insurance or try to claim via legal action in the courts.

Irrespective of what experiences others may have had, the options and probable outcomes stated by AdrianC are realistic as to what will probably happen.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    Options
    And he still needs to declare this accident when getting quotes or renewing so the insurance may increase anyway.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    I think you missed the point of my reply. I am simply distilling your options for you, and showing you how they will play out.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I know how to get his insurance and registration details.

As stated in the post my expectations were realistic. I assumed there was little to be done other than submit via insurance but thought it was worth checking with those more knowledgeable. Additionally, my post was requesting information regarding the insurance process as I expect he will deny involvement via any claim route.

I had hoped someone might have had a similar experience or knowledge/insight on the process in general.

If anyone does have relevant information on this pickle I would appreciate hearing your thoughts

Thank you :)

You can lead a horse to water.......
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We took pics of the van and registration plate, which are time stamped, but didn’t get a pic of the driver although we could all describe him.

We reported the incident to the police and have a reference number. We received a letter this week that says they will be doing nothing which we expected.
    Complain to the police about their lack of response. If that doesn't work, let your local MP know.

If the registration number can be seen on the pictures you took, that is good evidence and should be acted upon. From the lack of police response I have to suspect that the van was stolen, but, they should have let you know why they were not following up. Leaving the scene of a collision without stopping and providing any details is an offence and I'm sure the police would want to do something in order to improve their detection rate.

If nothing else works, I'd try letting the press know about this lack of response.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    NigeWick wrote: »
    Complain to the police about their lack of response. If that doesn't work, let your local MP know.

If the registration number can be seen on the pictures you took, that is good evidence and should be acted upon. From the lack of police response I have to suspect that the van was stolen, but, they should have let you know why they were not following up. Leaving the scene of a collision without stopping and providing any details is an offence and I'm sure the police would want to do something in order to improve their detection rate.

If nothing else works, I'd try letting the press know about this lack of response.

Without wanting to sound rude that would be a total waste of time. I'm not sure how you have jumped to the conclusion it's a stolen van when there's nothing to suggest that.

Police will not investigate a minor damage only collision, the time and resources required are not justified. The most I would expect would be for a S172 request be sent out to the registered keeper for the van asking for driver details with a follow up for insurance details. As the OP can get these from MID it's probably not worth waiting or pushing the Police for these.

Without a dashcam or independent witness it's going to be difficult to prove blame and the insurance companies are unlikely to do more than agree 50/50 without an admission from the other driver.

Not sure what I would do in the OP's position, maybe look for a second hand mirror assembly at a breakers yard if that's all that's damaged?
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NigeWick wrote: »

Given that failing to stop/report and careless driving aren’t recordable crimes there would be no effect on their detection statistics.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wgl2014 wrote: »
    Without wanting to sound rude that would be a total waste of time. I'm not sure how you have jumped to the conclusion it's a stolen van when there's nothing to suggest that.

Police will not investigate a minor damage only collision, the time and resources required are not justified. The most I would expect would be for a S172 request be sent out to the registered keeper for the van asking for driver details with a follow up for insurance details. As the OP can get these from MID it's probably not worth waiting or pushing the Police for these.

Without a dashcam or independent witness it's going to be difficult to prove blame and the insurance companies are unlikely to do more than agree 50/50 without an admission from the other driver.

Not sure what I would do in the OP's position, maybe look for a second hand mirror assembly at a breakers yard if that's all that's damaged?

That’s why they employ civilian members of staff to do it.

I’m not surprised at the outcome given the force involved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure