Will default be removed

Options
Hello all.

After some advice. I’ve just joined up to the MSE CREDIT CLUB CREDIT FILE.
First thing I notice is that I have a default account that is showing as settled on 23/8/2013. So this Friday will be 6 years old. I know this debt is with a debt collecting agency tho.
If this debt comes off my credit file on Friday what happens with the debt collecting agency. Will they stop chasing the money or do I still need to pay for this.

I’m in a bit of debt. But are all less than £500 on each account but this one is a big one at nearly £2500. So I’m really hoping this will be removed and they will stop chasing me for it.

Thanks for all your help

James

Comments

• boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You'll still owe the money.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The default may be removed but you still (morally) owe the money.

And whose to say they haven't already started court proceedings to obtain a CCJ?
  • jameshubbard37
    Options
    I’ve not received any letters about it going to court and it’s not showing up on my public records on here. Would it be on any other credit file companies or will it show on this one.

I have been paying 10 a month for about 2 years now.

I’m wanting to clean up my credit file and get it in a good position.
    I was thing that if it was removed from my credit file I could use that 10 towards something else. But if they will still chase me then I will keep paying the money to them
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you've been paying it (i.e. acknowledging it) then debt is still enforceable and the 6 years statute bar "clock" resets each time you pay it.

Regardless of it being removed from your credit files.

Why are you not making more of an effort to clear it down (and any other debts)
  • jameshubbard37
    Options
    I will just keep paying it then.

But will it come off my credit file even tho it’s with them and I’m paying it.
    Just thinking it will help clean my credit file up
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Depends.
    How is each month being marked?
    Default? AP? AR?
  • jameshubbard37
    Options
    It has varied between a ! (In a red box) and a ? (In a blue box)
    Counting up the last 10 have been a ! And the 19 before that as a ?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,879 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Defaults stay on your file for 6 years from date of default regardless of what you do or who owns the debt.

Just because a debt is removed from your credit file has no bearing whatsoever on its enforceability.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure