Royal Mail Postal Redirection On Credit File

Options
Has anyone heard very recently of a Royal Mail Postal Redirection shoeing On their Credit File?
I have moved out from living with my ex, I was not linked to his home by his mortgage etc, essentially just paid rent to him.
I’ve moved back to my parents and redirected my post.
When applying for a brand new hsbc mortgage, I listed everything as my ex’s address as everything I have is linked there.
Then hsbc declined the application as I have lost being redirected!
When the application was resubmitted as my parents, it’s been accepted, but I’ve got no ID that shows me there! Great one hsbc!

Unsure as to how/why hsbc would see the postal redirection on my credit history!?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How is it displayed on your credit file? Which files?
  • Michelle2103
    Options
    Unknown.
    I can’t see it at all on Experian.
    But HSBC found it somewhere....
  • nick74
    nick74 Posts: 829 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Royal Mail redirections include a service which notifies organisations who already have your details on file that you have moved:

https://www.royalmail.com/business/services/marketing/data-optimisation/ncoa-update

Unless you put a cross in the box on your mail redirection application form saying that you did not want this service Royal Mail will have done it automatically.
  • Michelle2103
    Options
    That answers that then!
    Thanks Nick!
  • sargeantsalt
    sargeantsalt Posts: 72 Forumite
    edited 14 August 2019 at 2:00PM
    Options
    Royal mail sell your data to any company who pay for it. You cannot opt out. CRAs buy the data and when you make an application they look you up. If you got declined then you might now be blacklisted so you need to check if that has happened before you do anything else.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Royal mail sell your data to any company who pay for it. You cannot opt out. CRAs buy the data and when you make an application they look you up. If you got declined then you might now be blacklisted so you need to check if that has happened before you do anything else.

Blacklisted where?
    And in what respect?
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Even though you are having your post redirected it is sensible to update your address with your banks etc - not only does it save you money as you don't have to kep renewing the redirection ut it also avoids this kind of situation!
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

From the Redirection Service T&C:
    We will not share this information if you
    indicate on the form, or when you apply for the
    Redirection service by telephone, that you (or any
    other person whose mail is being redirected) do
    not want us to. You can also contact Customer
    Services at any time to ask us not to share this
    information and after then we will not do so.
  • sargeantsalt
    Options
    From the Redirection Service T&C:

I'm pretty sure that part you quote only refers to junk mail companies. You can opt out of junk mail but you cannot opt out of the data being sold to CRAs. The CRA will inform any company who checks with them.

Junk mail is probably not much concern to the OP. The problem is they have been declined and need to ascertain how this might impact them.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    To confirm - the report lenders see does flag up Royal Mail Redirections as part of the credit report output.

I assume it varies by company (e.g. it's probably a paid for extra, so maybe some lenders won't use it) and where it is used, company decisions vary.

E.g. flags up in a mortgage application - certainly question why, we want to know your actual address for AML reasons, not where your credit is (although we need that too!)

Unsecured credit - make a note of the address, search both addresses, dispatch credit card anyway?

I'm not sure whether ticking the marketing opt-out box would actually have prevented sharing to CRAs - can RM share it on fraud prevention grounds or similar?

I had a redirect all throughout University and it caused issues at a couple of lenders but certainly many didn't seem to know/care
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure