MSE News: Mobile banking - watch for fraud and fat fingers, watchdog says

Options
"Fraud and mistakes made on smartphone keypads have been highlighted by a watchdog as potential dangers for consumers using mobile banking...."
Read the full story:

Mobile banking - watch for fraud and fat fingers, watchdog says

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What did occur to me was that my Santander app only needs the 5 digit passcode on my mobile to allow access - everything else is automatically authenticated. So if I lose my phone and that number was known/guessed, it would be very simple for someone to setup a payment out of my account.

The extra layer of security that Santander have - the OTP - of course gets sent to the phone that the person has in their hand....
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    What did occur to me was that my Santander app only needs the 5 digit passcode on my mobile to allow access - everything else is automatically authenticated. So if I lose my phone and that number was known/guessed, it would be very simple for someone to setup a payment out of my account.

The extra layer of security that Santander have - the OTP - of course gets sent to the phone that the person has in their hand....

But they can only send it to a payee that's already in your list - to set up a new payee they'd need your full desktop online banking login details.

And even if they did send a fraudulent payment to someone you've sent money to before, you wouldn't lose out:
    Santander wrote:
    Online Banking Commitment

Be assured that your money is safe when you bank online. There is protection provided by the Payment Services Regulations 2009. In the unlikely event funds are taken from your account as a result of fraud, we will refund you and restore your account to the state it would have been in had the unauthorised payment transaction not taken place.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »

Which app do you have? My Santander banking app requires a password and the 5 digit number code, which is exactly the same as online banking.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Herbalus wrote: »
    Which app do you have? My Santander banking app requires a password and the 5 digit number code, which is exactly the same as online banking.

Mine also requires exactly the same as the full online banking site :)

There is an option to 'remember' the ID - but I haven't selected it - obviously!
  • toot-tweet
    Options
    I am not allowed to post the link - this is from Credit today.
    The full review, which is due to be published in the first half of 2014, will consider contactless payments, financial transfers and account monitoring across all mobile devices, including smartphones and tablet computers.
    I have a funny feeling this may a 'miss selling' problem of the future. Miss selling is not really correct as I got no choice whether my card was contact-less or not...

How many posts before I can link?
  • Jivesinger
    Jivesinger Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The BBC coverage of this report included this:
    [Consumers] might also be using mobile banking late at night, which could affect their concentration when moving funds.

Hmmm. "affect their concentration" indeed... I think this really means:
    Just as soon as someone figures out how to make a breathalyser app work on an iPhone, we'll be making it mandatory
    ;)
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    Jivesinger wrote: »
    The BBC coverage of this report included this:

Hmmm. "affect their concentration" indeed... I think this really means:

;)

It means the report will contain some nonsense like 'customers should have to answer a maths question correctly if logging into online banking between 11pm-5am'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure