Options
2»

Comments

• katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Saturnalia wrote: »
    I read it to mean the barriers will let you exit the station if you have a neg balance at the end of the journey, but they don't let you enter and begin a new journey if your balance is already in the red.

This thread is interesting. I usually use PAYG and am sometimes -50p or so at the end of a journey and just top my card up next time I travel. I never realised I could be fined for that.

That is really what I meant too . I have exited in zone 4 with a tiny minus balance but then knew I had to top up before my return . I have not tried to enter a station in z 1-3 with a debit but had thought it would be possible as I have already paid the fare .
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Options
    katejo wrote: »
    I was just suggesting an explanation. I usually have extra money on my card anyway for such additional expenses anyway. However I had a case recently where I was wrongly charged as having entered zone 4 but I had not done so . I raised it with TFL and it turned out that the route taken was not a recognised route . The oyster system had assumed that I had gone via zone 4 but I had not. I got a refund.
    As a guess, I wonder if this may have involved the new Overground route between Surrey Quays - Peckham Rye? Several passengers have been overcharged since the route opened. I do not know if TfL have resolved the problems.
  • katejo
    Options
    yorkie2 wrote: »
    As a guess, I wonder if this may have involved the new Overground route between Surrey Quays - Peckham Rye? Several passengers have been overcharged since the route opened. I do not know if TfL have resolved the problems.

Not that section but yes it was to do with London Overground. I travelled from Walthamstow Queens Road to Denmark Hill. I changed onto the Victoria line at Blackhorse Rd, went to Highbury & Islington and then rejoined London Overground to go south. I was told afterwards that the system assumed a route via Barking (zone 4) & Whitechapel and that this was the only valid route. Apparently I should have walked to walthamstow Central to avoid this. However I live right by Walthamstow Queens Rd station so my route is convenient.

I have since repeated the journey once and i touched on the route validator at Highbury & islington. At first i was told that this would not work as my chosen route was not a valid route! however it did work.

Apparently the choice of the route via Barking was intended for passengers with zone 2-4 or PAYG cards but they set it as a default for everyone. It would never have occurred to me to go that way.

I don't know if it has been resolved. I was told that no adjustments could be made to the readers before May. However the staff and revenue inspectors at my local station knew nothing about this restriction/routing.
  • Saturnalia
    Saturnalia Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    Options
    Hello neighbour! Another Awesomestow dweller here.
    Public appearances now involve clothing. Sorry, it's part of my bail conditions.
  • katejo
    Options
    Saturnalia wrote: »
    Hello neighbour! Another Awesomestow dweller here.

Hi! So where in Awesomstow are you ?
  • Saturnalia
    Saturnalia Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    Options
    I'm just down the road, nearer to W Central & Blackhorse Rd.

Bazey lives round these parts as well, I've never met him in real life though.
    Public appearances now involve clothing. Sorry, it's part of my bail conditions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure