1st Floor Bay Window Coming Away from House

Options
Hi.

Hope someone can help. I've bought a 1930's semi detached house, which had single glazed windows. We had these replaced with uPVC windows. The brand we used is Kommerling. This was back in January. Between then and end of March we were having work done in the house so weren't living in the house. When we moved in, I noticed 2 hairline cracks underneath the internal 1st floor bay window, 1 on each side, from the windowsill down to the skirting. I thought this is just the plaster, as we just had the walls skimmed and was expecting to see some cracks.
However, the other day I noticed the crack is now bigger, approx. 2mm wide and 4mm deep. it's more on one side than the other. I had a look outside to see if there are any cracks on the external wall (my house is covered in white concrete render), and noticed a crack going down the wall from one edge of the bay window down to the ground floor bay window. The ground floor bay window is not affected.

I'm worried that the bay window may be coming away from the wall.

Can anyone provide any advice please.

Thanks.

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Get the window fitters back PDQ - and, in the meantime, don't sit on the windowsills!
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Make sure they put support in the downstairs Windows , they normally support the weight of the upstairs ones

http://www.windowwidgets.co.uk/technical/baypole-jacks-compliance/#
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Rory007 wrote: »
    The ground floor bay window is not affected.

The ground floor bay window will be affected - It is supporting the full weight of the bay above along with the flooring and roof. Without structural supports, the weight will be sitting on the uPVC frames. these will slowly compress, distort, and eventually cause the glass to break.

If the installers try to claim the the frames are structural, start building a paper trail and be prepared to go to court - You do have legal cover on your household insurance ?

uPVC frames are NOT structural and should never be subjected to compressive loads.
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Make sure they put support in the downstairs Windows , they normally support the weight of the upstairs ones

http://www.windowwidgets.co.uk/technical/baypole-jacks-compliance/#

There should also be supports in the upper bay to take the loading of the roof.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is the suspect window in a location that could cause harm to anyone passing by the outside of the property if it was to unexpectedly come away?
    If so, the first thing I would suggest that you find some way to secure it or contact a reputable builder and ask them to fit something to the wall and window to make it safe until the window installers can arrange something..

As you are aware that it may be unsound, if it was to fall and injure someone then you may well find yourself getting sued for an awful lot of money,
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    You should have either an inspection from Building Inspector or a self certified certificate like FENSA to go back to. Rope them in and complain. Also who was managing the work when you were absent? - get them involved. Couple this with getting the fitters back.

The work may be bodged - bay windows are a dodgy area, and even if poles are in place it does not mean things have been done properly.

My intuition is if the work has been bodged then the windows need to come out and work starts again. But if this is the case what are the other windows like? They too may be dodgy.
  • Rory007
    Rory007 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Hi

Thanks all for the responses.

Luckily I have a driveway so no risk to the pedestrians.

Unfortunately though, its come to light that my window is not Fensa registered!!! However, I did have them come round and tell me exactly what they'd done and what supports are in place. There is an aluminium support pole in place but.....?

I've also been in touch with my insurance company and they've advised this is not covered by in my policy as considered as maintenance work. So I'll be instructing a structural engineer to carry out a survey....lets see how it goes.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Rory007 wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks all for the responses.

Luckily I have a driveway so no risk to the pedestrians.

Unfortunately though, its come to light that my window is not Fensa registered!!! However, I did have them come round and tell me exactly what they'd done and what supports are in place. There is an aluminium support pole in place but.....?

I've also been in touch with my insurance company and they've advised this is not covered by in my policy as considered as maintenance work. So I'll be instructing a structural engineer to carry out a survey....lets see how it goes.

With no FENSA and no Buildings Regulations what you have done is illegal. There is little point in going for Retrospective Regulations when it appears the work is wrong and will fail. Which means you would be bringing non compliant, illegal work to the attention of an Inspector.

Do not be surprised if all this ends up in court. Hopefully your negotiating skills will avoid this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure