PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting........ what can I do when no agents will accept me?

Options

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your reply but I have spoken to many agents all who say they won't accept anyone with a score less than 620. I'm def not going to pay an agent £75-120 to do a credit check just to get turned down as that is what I've been informed would happen. I have no CCjs or IVA it's just a low score and I have debts I'm paying off. The law regarding landlords and tenants has changed so much it's making it virtually impossible to rent anywhere 😩 And I can promise you I've done my research, I'm not getting in a tizzy but I'm sure you can appreciate with 6ish weeks to be out it doesn't leave me with many choices eh 😊
    What law? - because I think you've been listening to people who literally haven't got a clue (and I include most agents in this)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Landlords get to pick/choose who their tenants are.
    Those using Estate Agents will tend to be at the pickier end of the scale.
    You need to find out who rents in your area to "people like you" - who doesn't go through an agent, who knows somebody.

Every area is different, there is no single answer for "where do I find landlords that rent privately without an agent", it's all "local knowledge" in a lot of areas, who you know. In other areas there are huge/well-known "social landlords" (that's the term they tend to use) with more properties than the Council have.

Google for "social landlords" in your area - see what comes up.
    Speak to the housing dept to see if they can give you a list of "social landlords" - they should be able to.
    Google for every housing association in your area you can find, get on all their books, no matter how pointless it seems.
    Speak to anybody/everybody asking "do you know landlords? who do you rent through? how did you get your place?"
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    Landlords get to pick/choose who their tenants are.
    Those using Estate Agents will tend to be at the pickier end of the scale.
    You need to find out who rents in your area to "people like you" - who doesn't go through an agent, who knows somebody.

Every area is different, there is no single answer for "where do I find landlords that rent privately without an agent", it's all "local knowledge" in a lot of areas, who you know. In other areas there are huge/well-known "social landlords" (that's the term they tend to use) with more properties than the Council have.

Google for "social landlords" in your area - see what comes up.
    Speak to the housing dept to see if they can give you a list of "social landlords" - they should be able to.
    Google for every housing association in your area you can find, get on all their books, no matter how pointless it seems.
    Speak to anybody/everybody asking "do you know landlords? who do you rent through? how did you get your place?"

Except the above doesn't matter she will have no issue renting through a LA if she earns the required amount I think the sum is divide your total gross income by 30 or gross monthly income divided by 2.5 that is the limit you can use for rent. Personally I could not afford that my limit is £300 more than my personal budget.
  • Guest101
    Options
    aneary wrote: »
    Except the above doesn't matter she will have no issue renting through a LA if she earns the required amount I think the sum is divide your total gross income by 30 or gross monthly income divided by 2.5 that is the limit you can use for rent. Personally I could not afford that my limit is £300 more than my personal budget.

It's Monthly rent x 30 is the typical.

So £500 rent PCM = £15,000 salary
    £1,000 = £30,000
    etc.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Maybe she doesn't "earn enough" as her area's a bit pricey.
    Maybe they don't like any housing benefit top ups she gets.
    Maybe they are unsure about two part-time jobs -v- one full-time job as that presents a "riskier" outcome should one job cease.
    Maybe the local LLs simply prefer to rent to those without children, or without teen boys.
    Maybe most LLs prefer to not accommodate pets.

Landlords get to "pick and choose". If 2-3 people can pay the rent they will choose the "least objectionable" in their eyes as the winner.
    One has no pets. One has no children or pets.
    Who'd you pick?

It's not a "home", it's an "investment vehicle for maximum yield, with the least risk and hassle potential".
  • aneary
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    It's Monthly rent x 30 is the typical.

So £500 rent PCM = £15,000 salary
    £1,000 = £30,000
    etc.

15,000/12 = 1250 (monthly salary)
    1250/2.5 = £500

Same result. :)
  • Guest101
    Options
    15,000/12 = 1250 (monthly salary)
    1250/2.5 = £500

Same result. :)

Yep, just easier to calculate ;)
  • aneary
    Options
    Maybe she doesn't "earn enough" as her area's a bit pricey.
    Maybe they don't like any housing benefit top ups she gets.
    Maybe they are unsure about two part-time jobs -v- one full-time job as that presents a "riskier" outcome should one job cease.
    Maybe the local LLs simply prefer to rent to those without children, or without teen boys.
    Maybe most LLs prefer to not accommodate pets.

Landlords get to "pick and choose". If 2-3 people can pay the rent they will choose the "least objectionable" in their eyes as the winner.
    Who'd you pick?

It's not a "home", it's an "investment vehicle for maximum yield, with the least risk and hassle potential".

The original query is that she cannot rent through LA due to a credit score!!

LL will let to people with children and pets and you don't have to shy away from LA to find these LL yes there will be less homes available for pets (not so much children) however they are available.

Go to rightmove the ads generally say whether they allow pets or not. Having pets does not mean you cannot rent via a LA.
  • Guest101
    Options
    Maybe she doesn't "earn enough" as her area's a bit pricey. - Maybe she hasn't actually applied to find out?
    Maybe they don't like any housing benefit top ups she gets. - How would they know?
    Maybe they are unsure about two part-time jobs -v- one full-time job as that presents a "riskier" outcome should one job cease. - Literally employment law is exactly the same. so the risk is lessened, as losing 2 jobs, rather than one is less likely.
    Maybe the local LLs simply prefer to rent to those without children, or without teen boys. - Again how would they know?
    Maybe most LLs prefer to not accommodate pets. - Again how would they know?

Who'd you pick? - that's assuming there's 3 applicants

- Often it's not event that, but that's for another discussion
  • aneary
    Options
    Agents generally ask now about pets and it can void the contract. I think that is fair enough I rent flats ~(without outside space) rather than houses so it wouldn't be fair on the animal. Plus hair, accidents etc do cause more wear and tear.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure