Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The UK CfD register has been updated with 2018 prices (well it is April). Also it now shows the off-shore wind projects that were successful in the last CfD auction, so I though a quick comparison of costs might be useful. And I'm not nuclear bashing, just showing cost trends and the positive news.

CfD Register

So the latest nuclear contract, HPC is now £99.87/MWh.

The latest PV and off-shore contracts are in the £80's, issued in early 2015. Similar costs were issued in Germany at that time, but their latest contracts are around £40-£50/MWh.

The real news is off-shore wind, look at the cost trajectory with contracts issued over the years at:
    £166.59
    £155.53
    £133.29
    £127.21
    £82.70
    £63.66

For subsidies, you need to deduct the price at which any generation is sold. Assuming the NAO are right (see page 39) then expect wholesale prices of approx £40/MWh this decade, approx £55/MWh in the 2020's and dropping through £50, to £45/MWh in the 2030's.

Wind and PV CfD's are for 15yrs, nuclear is for 35yrs.

I'll be honest, I never thought off-shore wind would fall this fast. Germany and the Netherlands have already issued subsidy free contracts, but the schemes are slightly different, such as shallower inshore deployments, or HV infrastructure upgrade costs not included.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Some great charts showing how RE has developed this decade. Click on them for a better view.

NRDC Launches Tool To Track Cost Reductions & Adoption Of Wind, Solar, EVs, & LEDs
    The National Resources Defense Council has this week launched a new tool to track the historic development and cost reductions of four clean energy technologies — wind, solar, LED light bulbs, and electric vehicles — after the Energy Department abandoned their own efforts now that President Donald Trump is in charge.

Revolution Now is a new online tool created by National Resources Defense Council (NRDC) that tracks the latest cost and adoption data for wind energy, solar power, LED lighting, and electric vehicles, and replaces a similarly named report that used to be published by the US Department of Energy, but has since been cancelled. The importance of tracking these metrics is evident in the chart below, which shows the cost reductions going back to 2008.

• Martyn1981
    edited 13 April 2018 at 8:03AM
    Options
    National Grid suggest that some inflexible generators like gas and nuclear may be curtailed this summer to make way for wind and PV generation.

Renewables set to lower UK!!!8217;s summer demand for grid electricity, says National Grid
    Rise in small scale solar contributing towards new trend of falling summertime peak transmission system demand on U.K. grid, says outlook report. Inflexibile gas and nuclear plants may be curtailed to make way for solar and wind.

Surging solar could send inflexible generators off the grid this summer

• Martyn1981
    Options
    [Careful with the headline, as conventional generation was needed to fill in gaps at times.]

Renewable Energy Meets 100% Of Portugal’s March Electricity Needs
    According to new numbers published earlier this month, Portugal’s renewable energy production in March exceeded the country’s electricity consumption for the month, a record not seen in forty years.
    Accordingly, thermal fossil fuel power plants and/or imports were required to complement the country’s electricity supply at times, but these periods were fully compensated by renewable energy generation in other times.

Specifically, therefore, Portugal’s supply of renewable energy accounted for a minimum daily share of 86% on March 7, and a maximum of 143% on March 11. Hydroelectricity and wind energy accounted for the lion’s share of renewable energy production, with 55% and 42% respectively.

Another bright point from March was the role renewable energy had in lowering the average daily wholesale market price for electricity, which came in at €39.75 per megawatt-hour (MWh), well down on the €43.94/MWh a year ago.

• GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    National Grid suggest that some inflexible generators like gas and nuclear may be curtailed this summer to make way for wind and PV generation.

Renewables set to lower UK!!!8217;s summer demand for grid electricity, says National Grid

Surging solar could send inflexible generators off the grid this summer

Gas is not inflexible

Nuclear is but displacing one unit of nuclear output with one unit of wind output isn't a win both are clean and both have a marginal cost of close to zero

Also this should not be news, most of the wind and solar output in France displaces low flexibility nuclear

Some good news is that the UK is building quite a few interconnectors over the next 5 years this should lower wholesale prices but also allow a lot of French nuclear imports to help displace CCGT output and potentially help export excess wind/solar/NG from the UK to EU nations.
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 April 2018 at 7:49PM
    Options
    GreatApe wrote: »
    Gas is not inflexible

Nuclear is but displacing one unit of nuclear output with one unit of wind output isn't a win both are clean and both have a marginal cost of close to zero

Also this should not be news, most of the wind and solar output in France displaces low flexibility nuclear

Some good news is that the UK is building quite a few interconnectors over the next 5 years this should lower wholesale prices but also allow a lot of French nuclear imports to help displace CCGT output and potentially help export excess wind/solar/NG from the UK to EU nations.

The reference to inflexible gas powered generators comes from the article not Martyn. If you read the article then you will see that they are specifically referring to large scale gas powered generators. However it appears the first article doesn't really have a handle on the subject and contains a number of inaccuracies. (I'm not sure that solar PV should be considered 'flexible' as the grid has to accept whatever domestic produces export). The second article sums up the situation better.

On another note it appears that you are trying to use Martyn's last post to draw people into yet another debate- this time on whether or not importing Nuclear from France is a good thing? . I hope we aren't going there as this really isn't the purpose of the board. It would be great to see us exporting green energy to France though.

To avoid unhelpful debate. I'm going to avoid further discussion on either of these two points.

Many thanks
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Not exactly in the news, but I visited the Leeds RERF this week. A fascinating place. I haven't had to time to research further but I'd be interested in views as to:

1. How 'green and ethical' should we view such facilities.
    2. Anybody know of any other similar projects - is there news anywhere of their development?
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Martyn1981
    edited 13 April 2018 at 8:04AM
    Options
    The reference to inflexible gas powered generators comes from the article not Martyn.

Many thanks

Thanks ET, I'll amend my post with some quotes for those that simply wish to argue.

And of course, higher RE generation naturally displaces FF's such as gas, all the time.

• silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As an ex-SSE employee with quite a few shares I keep an eye on their progress (and avoid their tariffs :D). I notice they've applied to upgrade the pumped storage scheme at Coire Glas from 600MW to 1500. The increase in renewables gives ever more importance to smoothing out surpluses in supply, and there are other pumped storage schemes being researched and projected.

It appears the difficulty is how you get the payback for the capital costs involved. Similar to the occasional use gas peak-lopping plant. In both cases you only use them if you have to, and as more renewables come on board you'll get less use!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback