Ebay advert on TV, bikes delivered for "FREE"

Options
Oh Dear...... Ebay advert on TV, bikes delivered for "FREE"

See, all you sellers that think postage costs money, your wrong just ask ebay. Postage is FREE...

Wonder why your buyers think postage should be totally free? Now you know.
Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

Comments

• preable
    preable Posts: 2,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    So if I walk into my local post office and hand them my bike they must just say oh thats free to post! Thanks eBay I never knew!
  • forgotmyname
    Options
    Yeah im after something really heavy, its only 10 or 15 minutes up the road, but hey its free delivery so im going to get the seller to deliver it.

I wonder if they pack it for free as well? This items over 40kg so needs packaging really well. I dont want it to arrive with broken glass and bent legs.

Do you think the insurance to cover it is free also? Silly me for asking its bound to be free.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you end up with bent legs then you are not lifting correctly or it was a two man lift 😂
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm in favour of it saying "postage included". If there's an objection to it though, you then have to object to "buy one get one free" type offers. On a technicality the wording should be "buy two pay half the marked price".

In the case of many of the big stores the postage will be "free" in that the price in store is the same as the online price including delivery.

The store are giving you the cost of the delivery, which makes it free. If you actually think it's misleading complain to the ASA.
  • RFW
    Options
    Yeah im after something really heavy, its only 10 or 15 minutes up the road, but hey its free delivery so im going to get the seller to deliver it.

I wonder if they pack it for free as well? This items over 40kg so needs packaging really well. I dont want it to arrive with broken glass and bent legs.

Do you think the insurance to cover it is free also? Silly me for asking its bound to be free.
    Legally you're far better off having it delivered than collecting it. If it is being delivered then the insurance would be free as the seller is paying for it.
  • RFW
    Options
    I used to know someone in the early days of Ebay who sold bicycles. He used to steadily sell them whilst charging £20-£30 for postage. He switched to "free" postage, including the shipping price in the selling price and almost overnight sold ten times as many bikes.

A lot of the time the marketing is consumer driven. For whatever reason people like "free postage", so I'm happy to sell it to them!
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    'Free' postage on ebay annoys me as certain sellers seem to see it as a way of screwing those buyers who make multiple purchase.

IME the majority of sellers who state a selling price+postage are willing to offer a postage reduction for multiple purchases whereas most of the ones who sell with 'free' postage won't offer a discount. If you're buying low value items it can make a huge difference.
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    'Free' postage on ebay annoys me as certain sellers seem to see it as a way of screwing those buyers who make multiple purchase.

IME the majority of sellers who state a selling price+postage are willing to offer a postage reduction for multiple purchases whereas most of the ones who sell with 'free' postage won't offer a discount. If you're buying low value items it can make a huge difference.

Often the item price is low + the postage is high, so buyer pays which ever way described!

Discogs allow you a wish list so you can see sellers that you can group purchase from with bulk postage pricing. (saves a bit)
  • Gary123456790
    Options
    'Free' postage on ebay annoys me....

Unfortunately ebay encourage "free" postage as they increase the visibility of listings with "fast anf free" so they encourage sellers to include the cost of postage in the item price. Free postage also protects sellers against low stars for postage cost.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unfortunately ebay encourage "free" postage as they increase the visibility of listings with "fast anf free" so they encourage sellers to include the cost of postage in the item price. Free postage also protects sellers against low stars for postage cost.

The low star protection is a very good point and protects against a lot of buyers who have absolutely no idea how much something costs to post and automatically hits low stars if they feel overcharged. The majority of my items have inclusive postage as it protects me against buyers who blame me for Royal Mail prices. £2.95 for a small parcel and I charge £3 (on which I've paid 12% FVFs) and still buyers mark down the stars.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure