Problem listening to music in car using mobile phones

Options
We've got a nearly new Astra and have been trying to play music from our phones (iPhone and Samsung S5 Mini) through the speakers.

The volume for the radio is usually ok with the 'dial' at 10-15 dependent on road noise etc, but we cannot hear the music from our phones at that level at all. It has to be something like 40-50 and it sounds really tinny. When we get a telephone call, or switch off the music, it blares out.

We've tried it using bluetooth as well as plugging the phones into a USB socket in the car and it makes no difference.

Can anyone advise me what we're doing wrong?

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Might sound stupid but is the volume on your phone turned up?
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Lulu58
    Lulu58 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, it is Oakdene. Again, at a normal listening level on the phone, you can't hear anything through the speakers. If I turn either up to the maximum, you can just about hear the music. The only way to increase the sound then is through the car volume dial.
  • EmmyLou30
    Options
    I found using the bluetooth means I have to jack the volume up to ridiculous levels to hear it and the quality isn't what I'd hope for, same in 2 other cars I've tried it in so I think that's standard.....my ipod is plugged in and that also needs to be turned up higher than the radio but nowhere near as bad as bluetooth and the sound quality is perfect.

You probably aren't doing anything wrong.
  • Lulu58
    Options
    Thanks, EmmyLou30. Unfortunately, whether we use bluetooth or plug our phones in, the volume still has to be really jacked up :(

I don't understand why the internet isn't full of complaints if this is the standard. All the manufacturer's bang on about being able to listen to you music via your car speakers.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    What radio? My new Kenwood does it brilliantly. Very crisp, no issue with volume. My old radio was also good. My first Bluetooth radio however had two really annoying bugs. One was that it seemed very compressed meaning you'd turn up the volume, but this would cause it to clip. Secondly, the volume always reverted to 25. It was a very early Bluetooth radio though.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm a bit surprised as well, I don't listen to music from my phone but if I take a call while it's Bluetoothed to the car's ICE the speech volume is fine. This is on a Fiesta with a Sony ICE system, but it was also fine on the previous car's Ford ICE. Maybe it's a Vauxhall issue.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 September 2017 at 2:49PM
    Options
    Does your car have a USB socket? If so try connecting the iPhone through that with a reasonable quality/OEM cable. Girl's IPhone comes through clear as a bell that way.
  • Lulu58
    Options
    Not sure what the radio is, Stoke other than the factory installed model.
  • Lulu58
    Options
    I think the volume blares out when a telephone call cuts in because it's turned up so high for the iPhone/Samsung in order to hear the music, agrinnall.

If the music isn't jacked up to 40+ and we listen to the radio, it's fine.
  • Lulu58
    Options
    I'm using a new iPhone cable, pogofish. Do you think I should try something else?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure