NatWest Switch. How many?

I've just set up a switch of an old TSB Classic Enhance (sole) account, which was just lying around, to my existing (joint) NatWest account. I was surprised that you could get the bonus by switching into an already existing account, but hey ho. Now I'm not sure what else I can do. I believe I read that you only get the bonus on one switch to a joint account. I'd like to switch one of my wife's old TSB Classic Enhance accounts, so presumably I'll only get the bonus if I switch to a new (sole) NatWest account for her. Anyone know?
Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and you’ll get rid of him every weekend.

Comments

• Brewer20
    Brewer20 Posts: 395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 June 2018 at 1:20PM
    I don't see where it says your wife can't open a sole account and not get the switch bonus.
    All I'll say is, she will have to open a new (sole) account as an existing customer, not a new customer it will take her through the process. A grey area is if you've taken advantage of the switch offer pre May 2018 you won't be eligible, it doesn't say if you've taken the switch offer after that time, like you have maybe? In other words it doesn't say one or the other of you can open up a sole account as well after May 2018, bit vague that one?

Read the T&C's as always....

https://beta.natwest.com/content/dam/natwest/personal/current-accounts/documents/nw-switching-offer-terms-may18.pdf

I guess you can always get her to switch over that account through the RBS deal with no worries.

Incidently I've just got my wife involved in switching her redundant Nationwide account to Natwest, it's in the process, they need more ID info, that's purely because she has no drivers licence and no passport or ID as such, hope the utility bills come into play, some are in her name thank goodness or she not going anywhere with this one.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,967 Forumite
    "I can't see where it doesn't say your wife can't open a sole account and not get the switch bonus."

That's cleared that up then ...:)
  • Brewer20
    Yes that's well put, not! :rotfl:
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    soulsaver wrote: »
    "I can't see where it doesn't say your wife can't open a sole account and not get the switch bonus."

Don't you just not love those double negatives. No? :p
  • drlabman
    drlabman Posts: 311 Forumite
    Well, it's done. I switched my sole TSB to my joint NatWest. My wife switched her sole TSB to a new NatWest account. We'll see what happens. Interestingly, when my wife switched it asked her to log in to NW online banking in order to set up the new account and switch. With me, it didn't.
    Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and you’ll get rid of him every weekend.
  • Brewer20
    Just a warning if you can't provide proper ID online.
    My wife doesn't drive, hasn't got a passport so she can't show or prove her ID properly. There's no real options when applying online apart from providing a debit card proof from another bank as part of the ID process but you still need one other option as above. You can say I'll provide ID later but it still means they need the above options.
    So we found out the hard way yesterday, the application is pending after we rang up Natwest's help line, glad it was an 0800 number. Thirty minutes of absolute getting nowhere, she eventually got cut off by them and gave up ringing back. She explained what ID can I show you to prove who I am and where I live if it can't be a passport or drivers licence etc? After speaking with 3 different reps and left hanging on ages they eventually cut her off.
    Be warned if you can't produce the ID wanted online.

On a better side of things I could provide my ID so it all went smoothly for me, account up and running in more or less a few days.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Brewer20 wrote: »
    Just a warning if you can't provide proper ID online.
    My wife doesn't drive, hasn't got a passport so she can't show or prove her ID properly. There's no real options when applying online apart from providing a debit card proof from another bank as part of the ID process but you still need one other option as above. You can say I'll provide ID later but it still means they need the above options.
    So we found out the hard way yesterday, the application is pending after we rang up Natwest's help line, glad it was an 0800 number. Thirty minutes of absolute getting nowhere, she eventually got cut off by them and gave up ringing back. She explained what ID can I show you to prove who I am and where I live if it can't be a passport or drivers licence etc? After speaking with 3 different reps and left hanging on ages they eventually cut her off.
    Be warned if you can't produce the ID wanted online.
    To be fair, they do publish their ID verification requirements, including what can be used in lieu of passport or driving licence, at https://personal.natwest.com//personal/current-accounts/what-do-you-need-to-open-a-current-account/proof-of-id-we-can-accept.html
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    soulsaver wrote: »

I guess it depends on whether they class the other joint account holder as having already benefitted from a switch reward into their account even though it was the other joint account holder that did the switch.
  • Brewer20
    ^^^ It's a fair point you make above, we found out some info the HMRC ID for one when she was talking to them. It's just their lack of understanding, 3 reps were spoken to to finally arrive at it seems a brick wall and got cut off. It seems the customer service is slow, lacking in any proper answers, being passed around between different departments.
    I realise with all this ID theft that's going on they have to be tight on these matters, just warning if you need to ring them regarding these matters they appear a bit clueless as to what answer to give so pass you over and over to someone who then (in our case) cuts you dead.

I have suggested to my wife she goes into a NatWest branch and provides some ID, before she got cut off on the phone they had suggested doing this but needs to make an appointment, this is when they went away and said I'll find out for you and what you need, then the call was ended by them.
  • drlabman
    drlabman Posts: 311 Forumite
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    I guess it depends on whether they class the other joint account holder as having already benefitted from a switch reward into their account even though it was the other joint account holder that did the switch.

That's what I was wondering. We'll see in the fullness of time. To be on the safe side I could have switched to a new account for me and to a new account for my wife. I guess we'll either get £100 or £200, and we won't know until Aug 10th (is it?). So exciting - I can barely contain myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure