IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Lidl parking charge

Options
Hi

I went to Lidl last week with my wife who went in store to have a look around. I stayed in the car. She was in store for about 25 mins and didn't buy anything. A week later i got a parking charge for £90!

The old system which i thought still stood was one hour free parking. As i parked up i saw the sign that said customer parking only and thought no problem.

My wife who's first language is not English didn't realise that things had changed.

I went back to the store to have a look and the small print says u have to enter registration number. U also have to actually buy something to get a receipt to scan to be eligible for free parking. So basically u can't just walk out with nothing like my wife did.

I've read the appeals template but is point one valid?

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    the templates in that NEWBIES thread are used "as is" , no alterations, and yes they are up to date , as are all the first 4 posts (and post #9 too)
  • classix
    classix Posts: 48 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm referring to the first point in the template for IPC members:

Who is the party that contracted with your company and are they the landowner?

Is this not referring to Lidl?

And in the parking charge letter it also has my details as obtained from the DVLA. So the point referring to that in the template should that be included?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Don't worry.

The newbies faq thread explains the futility of appealing to IPC members, and that letter's purpose is to show a judge (should it get that far) that you didn't simply ignore them
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 3 October 2017 at 7:29PM
    Options
    you have no idea who the landowner is , it could be Brtitish Land , Peel Holdings , the BRITISH AIRWAYS PENSION FUND , could be anybody at all

so unless you have paid the Land Registry a few pounds to find out , you are assuming it is the name of the shop on the site

making random assumptions like this could cost you dear

when I said "as is" , I actually meant "AS IS" ie:- with no alterations

as they already have your details, change it to the past tense if you wish it to be grammatically correct, but as they will get somebody on minimum wage to issue a template refusal, dont expect them to have a PhD or a Masters Degree in the English Language ;)
  • classix
    Options
    I was thinking of including the fact that just because we didn't buy surging doesn't mean we're not customers. And this is a flaw in the system that is designed to force people to buy something irrespective of whether they need it

But it sounds like I'm wasting my time as u make it sound like i can't get this overturned
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    If you read up the newbies faq thread near the top of the forum you will see the futility of appeals to IPC companies. (Everyone is politely asked to read there before starting a new thread)

You will also see advice there on the best way to get a pcn cancelled!!

Which is by complaining to the retailer
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    I very much suspect that the stipulation that you have to buy something may be an unfair term in a consumer contract.

Suppose they are offering widgets at 50% off, and you need a widget. You go in to buy one and they have sold out, why should that cost you £100?

Read this

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted

Why not complain in writing to your local Trading Standards Department?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lidl have had this system for some time.

On a visit about 6 months ago I said I realised I'd forgotten to scan the ticket on my previous visit. The reply was if I received a letter bring it in and they'd arrange to cancel it.

So I'd suggest asking in the store.

I didn't subsequently receive any letter. Perhaps if they check the registration and discover the car has been there a few other occasions they won't bother.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    classix wrote: »
    I was thinking of including the fact that just because we didn't buy surging doesn't mean we're not customers. And this is a flaw in the system that is designed to force people to buy something irrespective of whether they need it

But it sounds like I'm wasting my time as u make it sound like i can't get this overturned

Maybe you can't, but so what? It's just letters! No-one PAYS Athena here, ever!

I wouldn't bother with the appeal but just do the same as everyone else on the Lidl threads you will hopefully have read first - if not, search the forum and read them.

Email the CEO. His name is in 'Successful Complaints about PPCs' the first link in the NEWBIES thread. He cancels them. Athena don't, not whenever we've seen.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • classix
    Options
    Is there a template email to send to the ceo of Lidl and what exactly would i say to justify the oversty?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure