New Treasurer

Options
Hi all,
I hope someone may be able to help.
I am now treasurer of a local council environmental group, we oversee al the *friends of groups* in Leeds.
The bank we are with (Co-op) will not accept me as signatory.
This is to do with a problem with BCard going back 6 years.
I am a retired teacher with no mortgage and no debts. And certainly no criminal record etc.
I am totally honest and they won't let me be a signatory to a small account with a few hundred in and where we pay out here and there for stalls at Birdfairs etc!!!!!
Does anyone know of a bank with a bit more common sense? Many thanks.

Comments

• Chalkypaws
    Options
    Thanks so much for your lovely, informative reply. I am not sure why you had to highlight the *we*?
    It was a genuine question about any banks with any common sense given the fact that I am in fact low risk.
    I really don't understand the last two sentences of your reply either. I do not think they are related to my query.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How do the Coop bank know about the problem? Did they do a credit check on you?

I've been Treasurer for a group that used a Lloyds account - they didn't seem to do any background checks.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 June 2018 at 1:38AM
    Options
    Chalkypaws wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your lovely, informative reply. I am not sure why you had to highlight the *we*?
    It was a genuine question about any banks with any common sense given the fact that I am in fact low risk.
    I really don't understand the last two sentences of your reply either. I do not think they are related to my query.
    "we" because you are asking strangers on the internet to give you answers which depend on guessing how a third party will interpret your specific circumstances

my last 2 sentences are merely my personal circumstances justifying why my accounts are where they are. Your comment clearly demonstrates my first point. My circumstances "dictated" who I choose to bank with. As "we" don't know your circumstances, any answer "we" give you cannot be relied upon to be relevant to you, any more than you have decided my comments are relevant to you. Without knowledge of why I bank where I bank, my comments have no context and therefore no value to you in allowing you to decide their relevance to you.

"Common sense" is not what banks base their judgements upon, they base it on risk ratings, and you (apparently) have a blot .... so just go ask a few banks and find out for yourself. 30 people on here could tell you they bank with Nat West, it won't mean that Nat West will accept you, will it? Is that relevant enough for you?

BTW "we" in the second paragraph of my first post is to emphasise that it is a collective number of people who pay money into "my" treasurer account since we are a group and i do not do everything personally. If you want to take umbrage at a post on a forum that doesn't provide the answer you want to hear then heaven help you.
  • Chalkypaws
    Options
    Dearie me......wish I had never bothered to ask.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the obvious place to start would be your own bank: ask what options they have for small charities (even if you're not formally registered as a charity, you don't want a business account!)

But always work out what services you need first - paying in / withdrawing cash means you need either a local branch, or an arrangement to use the Post Office or another bank. There may be charges for writing / paying in cheques how much of that do you do?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport