PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Do I have the right to see landlords electricity bills?

Options
2»

Comments

• MinnieMouseEars
    Options
    I've still not received copies of the electricity bills but have had several missed calls this morning and an answerphone message claiming that the they will be coming down to my place of work to collect the money for said electricity bill if I don't pay by Tuesday. I called back and reiterated my request for copies of the bills and was told I had a 'cheek' and 'no right to see them'. Any suggestions how to handle this?
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    Yes, sadly: Find somewhere else to live. This clown of a landlord doesn;t understand the law or how to behave as a decent human.

See
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/problems-with-your-energy-supply/what-your-landlord-can-charge-for-energy/

Landlord is the insulting, inhuman, not following british traditions of decency & fair-play, "cheeky" p*ll*ck.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    ..................... saying "x units at y pence = z". I......................

So what is x and y on your last bill.

Others night be able to advise - what rate of VAT can a landlord who is on a business tariff with VAT charge a domestic customer ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • MinnieMouseEars
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Others night be able to advise - what rate of VAT can a landlord who is on a business tariff with VAT charge a domestic customer ?

I believe I read that they can only charge 5%, even if they pay 20%. However, VAT is not mentioned at all.
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I suspect OP meant there is 1 meter for the entire farm... How they're apportioning electricity usage between the 'seperate' properties is anyone's guess.

Are they legally a LL - or is this being run as if you are lodgers? Did you pay a deposit? (if so was it protected?) etc...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure