MSE News: Inflation rise means all savings are 'losing' accounts

Options

Comments

• talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    opinions4u wrote: »
    some hard working individuals were told that they would get a bonus of, perhaps, 5% of their realtively low wage if they achieved certain goals within their job. They've had that taken away from them.

And of course Mrs O'Reilley, the part-time cashier from the Cork branch, won't be able to take her kids to a caravan park for a week next year.
    QUOTE]

The problem is that without the taxpayer bailout, all these individuals would have been redundant from a bankrupt company?

Many other low paid workers will be out of a job next year and after, why should low paid bank workers be such a special case compared to other low paid workers having to reduce their standard of living in the years to come. It seems to me a pot of 7 or 10 billion goes a long way to paying off the debt the banks owe the rest of taxpayers for keeping them in business. Perhaps bank workers should be grateful they still have a job after so many of their colleagues have already been made redundant? After all, "we are all in this together" ;)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The problem is that without the taxpayer bailout, all these individuals would have been redundant from a bankrupt company?

What about all the industries the Govt has bailed out in the past? Not saying its right. However, people have to be careful picking on the average bank clerk, who are typically very low paid, as their own jobs have either benefited from tax payer money either recently or further back in time.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    edited 15 December 2010 at 12:05AM
    Options
    While that's a fair point, there is also little doubt that the customers serviced by the Mrs O'Reilly's of this world would still need their accounts servicing somewhere. While I've not really paid much attention to the specifics of the Irish banking situation, there is little doubt that the retail arms of the likes of "bankrupt" HBOS and RBS (the high street branches etc) remained profitable while corporate sides of their organisations died a death.

In the midst of any winding up of a financial organisation those retail businesses would have been seen as prime assets, sold as going concerns and most of the jobs within would have continued under TUPE arrangements with a new owner - who would have been legally obliged to honour a contractual bonus.
    Many other low paid workers will be out of a job next year and after, why should low paid bank workers be such a special case compared to other low paid workers having to reduce their standard of living in the years to come.
    I make no special exception. I just think it's wrong to break contractual arrangements for political reasons.
    It seems to me a pot of 7 or 10 billion goes a long way to paying off the debt the banks owe the rest of taxpayers for keeping them in business. Perhaps bank workers should be grateful they still have a job after so many of their colleagues have already been made redundant?
    I know many who are rather jealous of those colleagues who got redundancy! Many who remained in employment have survived a hellish period where ignorant customers have willingly thrown abuse at those sat behind a counter simply trying to do their job in a pleasant and courteous way. It isn't the fault of Mrs O'Reilley folks - give her a break!

As for the debts the banks owe the people? In pure financial terms, I believe around 40% of the "special liquidity scheme" has been repaid with the balance likely to be cleared by 2012. The share prices of the likes of RBS and LBG suggest that the taxpayer is fairly close to holding a paper profit for the capital investment known as bailouts.

In no way do I defend the actions of the banks and their contribution to the Credit Crunch. But pulling a contractual bonus from a low paid nobody who has delivered after being told "do this and we'll pay you that" to make a politician look impressive? It stinks.
    other companies that may have been bailed out did not bring the country to it's knees with debt as now
    They did. You could also argue that the money invested in saving the banks didn't bring the country to it's knees. The excessive borrowing prior to the "rainy day" called the Credit Crunch was the problem - the banks were merely the straw that broke the camel's back.
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    What about all the industries the Govt has bailed out in the past? .

Just playing Devil's advocate, other companies that may have been bailed out did not bring the country to it's knees with debt as now. (Unless Denis Healy and the IMF was similarly bust purely because of British Leyland and other nationalised industries of the day?)
  • lvader
    lvader Posts: 2,579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Companies, banks included are just there to make money, it isn't a question of greed or a lack responsibility, they are going to do everything within the law (and sometimes go beyond that) to make money. It's up to the government and regulators to make sure what they do doesn't badly effect customers or the country as a whole. The credit crunch was as much to do with governments pushing growth as it was banks trying to make money.
  • nrsql
    nrsql Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If only I'd done more with index linked certs.

Given that sterling has tanked and we are reliant on imports I don't see how it's possible to keep inflation down.
    Raising interest rates would just put up mortgage and other borrowing costs and probably cause serious trouble - a spiral maybe.
    We were reliant on moving manufacturing to emerging contries to bring down retail prices and inflation - but that had to be a short term measure. Now with quantative easing and the corresponding lowering of sterling buying power it will have the opposite effect as will the increasing wealth and workforce expectations of those countries.
    Also as utilities are increasingly owned by companies based abroad in countries that are having problems there must be a temptation for them to bolster their books by increasing prices over here.

Have a look at the AU$ rate. in 2008 it was around 2.3-2.5 now it's around 1.6.
    It seems to fairly closely match the ftse movements. Could be that the market recovery isn't really a recovery just that sterling has fallen it looks like it has risen. If it was priced in another currency (one that hadn't slumped) I think it would look very different. Means that investments have really been a hedge against falling sterling.

If only I'd bought that property in Australia.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Options
    Why is this a big revelation? (saving dont keep up with inflation) been going on for about 2 years now, hadn't anyone noticed before?
  • Androcles
    Options
    The question for me is how justified are the low rates of interest on savings, when compared to the low rates being charged to morgagees and the high rates being charged to other forms of borrowing, such as on credit cards? Is it fair to argue that there needs to be some rebalancing to restore some kind of equity, otherwise savers who need the cash to supplement their pensions are actually a major source of funding to maintain bank profits and bonuses?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Why is this a big revelation? (saving dont keep up with inflation) been going on for about 2 years now, hadn't anyone noticed before?

It's only now that there are absolutely no inflation beating accounts available. Previously you could beat inflation if you shopped around - for example, by locking your money away for a couple of years at a fixed rate. And until earlier this year you had the option of NS&I index linked certs offering 1% above inflation.

Much of what has been available in the past few months is unacceptable to lots of people though as it would typically mean locking in for a period of years at a fixed rate - which is a bit of a gamble. It would only pay off if things get worse and I guess lots of people consider it more likely that things will get better. Wishful thinking perhaps! LOL
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The question for me is how justified are the low rates of interest on savings, when compared to the low rates being charged to morgagees and the high rates being charged to other forms of borrowing, such as on credit cards?

Probably very justified in the context of how many people are on base rate trackers and SVRs and the way the banks need to repair their balance sheets. Remember that a net interest margin of say 1.3% when the base rate is 0.5% appears to be a bigger hit than when the base rate is 7%. Some new deals on lending dont look that attractive but justification doesnt come into it.
    Is it fair to argue that there needs to be some rebalancing to restore some kind of equity, otherwise savers who need the cash to supplement their pensions are actually a major source of funding to maintain bank profits and bonuses?

Savers using cash to supplement their pensions need to use other products. Low interest rates doesnt change that.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure