MSE News: Double-dip recession not as deep as feared

Options
"Revised figures reveal a smaller contraction in the second quarter of the year than previously expected..."
Read the full story:

Double-dip recession not as deep as feared

OfficialStamp.gif

This thread is not in the 'discuss house prices and economy board' as that is only open to those logged into the forum so anyone coming from the news story may not be able to see it.

Comments

• I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    These PPI rebates are going to feed into these figures if people treat themselves to some retail therapy or home improvements etc.

I don't know what % difference will it make to GDP figures. (but it won't prove PLAN A is working)
  • premierfella
    Options
    The only thing that shocked the City with the first-estimate numbers was how inconsistent they were and how ONS estimates can be so far wide of the mark - this revision to the data was entirely expected (it WOULD have been a serious shock if the number hadn't come in by a few points).

The problem here is that news sources jump on initial first release estimates, but these are nearly ALWAYS revised later, so respectable news providers should really be focussing their reports on the trend over a few quarters, not "blip" numbers like the -0.7% which no-one believed was accurate when it was released.

The fact that the UK fell into double-dip recession in the first place shows that more effort should have gone into developing "Plan A". National interest rather than political ideology should have been prioritised when "Plan A" was drafted.*

*and no, I'm not suggesting that the "plan" that Labour in opposition suddenly came up with would have held water any better than "Plan A" did.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    Good grief, at this rate the Bullingdon Club will be proudly announcing next year that there was no double dip recession in the first place! :cool:
  • Consumerist
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »
    Good grief, at this rate the Bullingdon Club will be proudly announcing next year that there was no double dip recession in the first place!
    Yep. In six months it might be revised again to reveal we missed a double-hump boom !
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I employ a fair few Easter Europeans and they are well educated, hard working, speak perfect English (amongst other languages), and generally put many English people to shame. They also pay their taxes so maybe let's concentrate on what people do and/or don't do rather than where they were born.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • BugsyBrowne
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    I employ a fair few Easter Europeans and they are well educated, hard working, speak perfect English (amongst other languages), and generally put many English people to shame. They also pay their taxes so maybe let's concentrate on what people do and/or don't do rather than where they were born.

Oh pi*s off you loon I despise the likes of you:mad:

I am English and proud and when this county stick them into emergency housing and leave Ex Soldiers homeless then its boll*ks.

There are also hard blo0dy working British out there who also work very hard:mad:
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    Oh pi*s off you loon I despise the likes of you

I'm glad that you took the trouble to get to know me before reaching that deeply-considered and well-researched conclusion.
    I am English and proud and when this county stick them into emergency housing and leave Ex Soldiers homeless then its boll*ks.

Merely out of passing interest, have you ever read the Daily Mail? Or for that matter, written for said publication?
    There are also hard blo0dy working British out there who also work very hard:mad:

Agreed, but the fact that I'm forced to recruit from all around the globe, and not because I can hire cheaper but because I can hire better, speaks volumes.

Don't get me wrong, we get some really good people from the UK, but not enough of them hence having to cast the net wider. A "little England" mindset with its "close the borders!" knee-jerk conclusion is the last thing that British business needs.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • BugsyBrowne
    Options
    Lets all praise the Romanian mother of 8 in the sun last week who's house is to small bless her she hasn't paid a penny into the system yet she's got a house and before long she will be moved into a bigger property why because Britain as a country has become laughable.

Yes there are hard working EE's but also crime ridden members from these countries who are running drug smuggling prostitution rackets money laundering the lists go on.

My Moto is look after your own first!!!!
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    Lets all praise the Romanian mother of 8 in the sun

Ah yes, The Sun, that well respected source of accurate and unbiased information.
    My Moto is look after your own first!!!!

I think you'll find it's spelt "motto" and doesn't need a capital letter. Out of interest, is English your first language?

• BugsyBrowne
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Ah yes, The Sun, that well respected source of accurate and unbiased information.

I think you'll find it's spelt "motto" and doesn't need a capital letter. Out of interest, is English your first language?

Lucky your behind a computer screen my friend as correcting people's spelling just shows what kind of fruit you really are.

Anyway will let you get back to your buming.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure