PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making savings before it's too late

Options

Comments

• trailingspouse
    Options
    Not so lucky over here -
    - OHs car broke down first day back at work, just forked out £500+ to fix it.
    - And today the Gas service was due - two faults = two excess charges = £120. Ouch.

On a more positive note, my 'normal' weekly shopping only cost £30 as we've still got so much left from Christmas...
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,163 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Never spent a penny yesterday, Thursday was a different matter. Me and kids (17 and 14) travelled to London to watch The Nutcracker. It was part of youngest's Christmas treat.

Tickets were cheap for ballet (they were cheap for London theatre) that was mainly because it was all that was left when I went to book.

Travelled on family and friends railcard. Gutted when I realised that after this one expires I can only ever buy one more and then it's the end of discounted fares for me.:(

Went and had breakfast at a Premier Inn. DD was free as under 16. DH had given me a rewards voucher with £10 off. Buffet breakfast inc drinks for 3 was £8 :money:

Then DS announced he needed deodorant as he'd forgotten to use any before leaving. The train was leaving before the shops opened, but we managed to find a market stall open and buy one (lynx at £3!). DS gave himself a squirt under each arm, but when on the train I said he'd have to take the can with him because my bag would be checked at the theatre and I've had an aerosol doedarant taken off me before in a bag check (show not longer after the Ariana Grande concert bombing) though that one was a half used £1 can. DS said he couldn't because he was visiting the Tower of London (Tesco clubcards and student concession price) and would also be subject to checks. I was pretty miffed at spending £3 on 2 squirts of deodarant! Anyway I managed to find a hiding place under a Christmas tree outside and put it there and retrieved it later (haven't told the kids that :o)

The Nutcracker was fabulous. We didn't need any drinks and I thought their prices were reasonable. I paid £7 for a program and it is the most voluminous one I've ever bought, I've paid equal or more for slimmer versions at shows before. ice cream was £3, same as my local theatre and less than the cinema.

When we came out we ate and this was the only time I felt ripped off. We went to an outside place and it was £16.50 for burger and chips, £4 for chips, £11.50 for margarita pizza, a whacking £4.50 for a small glass bottle of coke, I told DD if she spilt any she'd be licking it off the table. £45 in total! :mad: I wish we'd looked round more especially when I saw a Boots nearby and even more so when I saw an M&S Simply food, which I had a £10 gift card on me for (DH got it for filling in a survey), we sat outside anyway, we could have found somewhere for a sandwich. :( I looked on trip advisor when I got home and the reviews all complained about the price. It galls me so much I have to think about the overall cost of the day on food, breakfast had been a bargain and DS covered all his own meals with the spending money he had (sensibly finding a kfc for his lunch to keep costs down and then just buying a sandwich meal deal on the train).

After that DD blew all her Christmas money on a designer handbag reduced to half price in the sales. It's more expensive than any bag I've bought, but I've had problems with her in the past thinking it's acceptable to go out into the town centre with her phone sticking out of her back jeans pocket and her purse and travel card in her hand. Attempts by me to get her a bag she likes and uses, haven't worked, so hopefully owning a bag she adores and paid for herself will.

Not used yet as she started feeling shivery on the tube back, fell asleep for the whole train journey and spent yesterday in bed! I went for cuppas and catch ups at my friends houses.

Back to reality today and having a good tidy up to see where we already have things, plenty of bathroom toiletries we have, so don't think we'll be buying much of them for some time.

Groceries need topping up and we have 2 family birthdays next week so need to buy for them.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    My god- if I was charged money like that for coke and chips I'd be carted off to jail for breach of the peace!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would love to see a real nutcracker ballet but will never be going to London again. I felt very insecure going by train to surrey when my sister was very ill, had to go from a station over an hour away in the car, unlit narrow fast lanes and always but always had that feeling `what if the train back was cancelled etc`. I was parked at a very small country station. Sounds like a lovely family day spendless, making memories

Is anyone else starting to get bills? I just had the car insurance, up from last year and did the online comparison. Looks as though I am getting a good deal tbh and factored in via m/s money, will pay that about the 20th of this month. Its a pity that it is so cold, it would be silly of me to go out on a cycle ride, breathing in cold air isn`t a good idea at my age. Entertainment today is free, as I am stash busting by knitting and making a beautiful fair isle hat, interesting and rewarding to make. Shops will be full again, people still bored after the long break
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kittie I don't know where you are based, but often Milton Keynes Theatre plays host to cultural events such as ballet, opera etc. Neither of us really cares for ballet, so I can't comment on what sort of ballets are on, but we have attended many operas; and in fact have tickets for "La Forza Del Destino" in April, which is WNO on tour. I would never in a million years consider travelling to London; far too scary and far too tiring for me.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Katieowl
    Katieowl Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    :( What a sad state of affairs when you have to hide spray cans in bushes (I would have so done that!) I'm really glad I live in under a rock and hardly ever go anywhere!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    You want to be careful re hiding things in bushes LOL. I recall back BM (Before Moving here) I realised that there were a couple of drug drop-off points around.

There must have been some rather puzzled drug-users and suppliers sometimes after that - as the "rubbish" etc left there mysteriously vanished more than once;). I couldn't begin to speculate as to how that happened....:cool:

EDIT; Hastens to add that I've never taken drugs in my life myself...
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,516 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kittie, depending on where you are, you may be able to see screenings of ballets, operas, plays at an Odeon. You get the best views and the bonus of interviews.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,163 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Seeing The Nutcracker was a very special occassion, I'd forgotten to say the whole reason we went is one of DD's friends was in it. He got a place at the Royal Ballet school and went there in September, instead of going to the local Secondary school.

My friend did point out to me if there'd been an 'incident' nearby , cctv would have been checked and I might have needed to do some explanation.:o I felt more comfortable putting in by a seasonal xmas display (not going to say where exactly, am mindful this is an open forum) than I would putting it anywhere. Once I'd paid a fortune for food though, I did wonder why I'd worried about a £3 can of deodorant. :rotfl:

This morning I have tidied our bathroom. We have so many toiletries, I won't be buying for a very long time, including finding 6 half used cans of mens deodorant:mad: Have put one in DS's bedroom, going to check one is in his college bag and then going to wait till he complains he 'hasn't got any' and take them out of the cupboard one by one.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Glad you had a great time, it's something your DD will always remember,
    I freely admit I avoid London where possible I'm getting more cantankerous each year and now avoid crowds as possible, good job we did most of our City travels in our younger years.
    I'm another £58 in for the year with replacing the filter for Elvis the goldfish.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure